PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem

joker
06-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Fixing the lincoln up for a family member that is buying it I am having an electrical problem. Basically the battery keeps dying. I can jump the car off, and it runs for a few minutes, under its own power. I can then immediately turn the car off, and start it back up. However, if I leave the car alone for 30 minutes, it is dead again.

This has only been a problem the last couple of days. Up until I replaced the windows gears last weekend, it was fine. When replacing the window gears I left the doors open for a couple of hours, which in turn evidently killed the battery, ever since then it has been giving me this problem. When changing the window gears, the only electric thing I messed with was the actuall window motor, and they are working fine now.

Any chance it is just a bad battery? The battery I got is a little smaller than the one advance recomended for the car, but it has done fine until now. Or maybe it isnt getting a good enough charge from the alternator? I would think that if it was a bad alternator, then it wouldnt crank right back up after runnning a few minutes. Would a bad battery ground cause it to slowly lose power?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

86GT
06-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Start pulling fuses until you find the circuit that is causing the problem.

coupe
06-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Yep. :yup: Bad Battery. They can do that.

Check it for free at Advance Auto Parts.