PDA

View Full Version : well I'm screwed

J-ville4.6
06-12-2005, 08:42 PM
I was driving to dinner tonight and I had just started out from a red light went through 1st gear then 2nd and when I went to shift into 3rd somthing came unglued. It sounded like a handful of bolts were falling out the bottom of the motor. The motor cut out instantly, I looked it the rearview mirror and oil smoke was coming out my pipes. pulled over and poped the hood smoke was coming out of the air filter, the oil breather cap. looked under the car and yep ther was oil and water coming from there. Good news is the motor did not lock up, but I don't know the amount of damage done. by the time I got the car towed home it was too dark to mess with. I could not find any oil leaking from up top or around the valve covers, no oil hitting the headers.

I thought it might be a blown head gasket but I would have seen some sort of sign leading up to this right?
Then I remembered all the sound it made and I'm afraid that it is a lot worse than that, Like the block is damaged.
Any feed back or help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

QWKSNKE
06-12-2005, 09:05 PM
That doesn't sound good.

How many miles are on your car and have you had anything done to the car lately?

94five0
06-12-2005, 09:11 PM
blocks usually don't go bad for no good reason. you have to be abusing them or pushing them beyond there thresholds or running reeeel lean.. any symptoms prior? weird idle, exhaust smoke, over all drivability?

J-ville4.6
06-13-2005, 05:22 AM
That doesn't sound good.

How many miles are on your car and have you had anything done to the car lately?

About 120,000 I replaced the lower intake about a month ago, the intake came from Sean Hyland and was stock exept for a aluminum crossover. I had been playing with the location of the ECT sensors trying to install an engine temerature gauge. Other than that nothing has changed. The guy I bought the car from had NOS on the car a one point, he had taken it off before selling it. Between the high miles and the NOS I knew that it was a matter of time before the motor would have to rebuilt If I was ever going to race hard. I was just hoping that I would have the funds to get it done before something like this happend.

J-ville4.6
06-13-2005, 05:32 AM
This has made for a great Bithday weekend.Hey at lest I wasn't but 2 miles from the house, I could have been on vacation somewere and had this happen.

J-ville4.6
06-13-2005, 05:48 AM
blocks usually don't go bad for no good reason. you have to be abusing them or pushing them beyond there thresholds or running reeeel lean.. any symptoms prior? weird idle, exhaust smoke, over all drivability?

I don't think it was the block that went bad I was thinking that somthing inside came apart and maybe cracked the block. But I really won't know until I can start tearing the motor apart. I would live to find a shop that I could work in. I don't have a covered carport or anything and with the weather we've been having lately, I could be waithing for awile.

Italian LX
06-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Did you ever find out where the oil and water were coming from? Is it from around the head, from a hole in the oil pan, etc.?

99LS1
06-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Harbor Freight has pretty cheap carport covers that you can buy.

ChipR4cam
06-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Yup, sounds like the classic bottom end coming apart sound to me:yup::nono:. Usually I've only heard of them coming apart that good under boost.

J-ville4.6
06-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Yup, sounds like the classic bottom end coming apart sound to me:yup::nono:. Usually I've only heard of them coming apart that good under boost.

It wasn't under any boost the motor was running at 3000 RPM and 60% throttle when it did it.

J-ville4.6
06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Did you ever find out where the oil and water were coming from? Is it from around the head, from a hole in the oil pan, etc.?

The oil seemed to be coming from the bottom, no oil was hitting the headers on either side. The car sets to low for me to penpoint where. When I get home this afternoon I well jack her up and see and then start taking the top of the motor apart until I see what went wrong.

Italian LX
06-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Dropped a valve maybe? :shrug:

Craig K.
06-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Dropped a valve maybe? :shrug:
thats what I was thinking, or a rod let go.

to see oil and water coming out is a very bad sign.

sorry to hear about this, let us know what you find

:popcorn:

J-ville4.6
06-13-2005, 09:15 PM
well by the time I got home from work I only had about 45 min. of daylight so I didn't get very far with taking the motor apart. But I did find were I had oil coming from. I found two spots on the oil pan were it looks like something tried to punch through the bottom of the pan the two spots are on the left bank side and about 1 inch or less apart. So know I'm thinking it is a broken rod. I will have to be really lucky for the block not to be cracked. But with there being water in the oil, either the head or the block was damaged right?

Craig K.
06-13-2005, 09:32 PM
I would say that most likely the block is going to end up being crack, or a hole in a cylinder wall or something.
Did you drain the oil from the pan? If so was there any pieces that came out, also is it a lot of water in the oil, or a little?

J-ville4.6
06-14-2005, 05:04 AM
I would say that most likely the block is going to end up being crack, or a hole in a cylinder wall or something.
Did you drain the oil from the pan? If so was there any pieces that came out, also is it a lot of water in the oil, or a little?

I think you are right there was a good bit of water mixed with the oil. I havn't drained the oil yet to see what comes out.

EZ SPEED
06-14-2005, 06:47 AM
When mine let 5 rods go, it punched a hole in the inside of the block though a water passage and also filled the oil pan with coolant

coupe
06-14-2005, 07:53 AM
I've heard a head gasket make unbelievable amount of noise when it popped...hope that's all it is...could have oil & water leaking there too. Crossed fingers.