PDA

View Full Version : Small problem

5.0blackbrd
06-14-2005, 06:03 PM
My '94 Lincoln with the DOHC 4.6 will hardly run first thing in the morning. It idles rough and when I put it in gear it bucks and sputters and you have to really mash on the gas to get it to move. Once it gets moving it drives fine and never does it again all day. Only does it first thing in the morning. Any ideas?

Mike Donley

Wall96cobra
06-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Well it kinda sounds like a vacuum leak or possibly the IMRC's are stuck open. I've really never heard of the IMRC's sticking in the open position but it is possible. Have you tried cleaning your maf?

5.0blackbrd
06-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Well it kinda sounds like a vacuum leak or possibly the IMRC's are stuck open. I've really never heard of the IMRC's sticking in the open position but it is possible. Have you tried cleaning your maf?

Not yet. I have some electronics cleaner but it is for cleaning volume knobs and rotary switches, so it has lubricants in it. I have to get some non-residue type.

I ran some Seafoam through the engine a few weeks ago. Do you think another can would be good as well?

Mike Donley

Wall96cobra
06-14-2005, 08:16 PM
I guess it couldn't hurt to run another can through. Can you feel your IMRC's open when the car is cold? I know when I first take off in my car I can feel the carslightly bog when the IMRC's open, wasn't sure if it was the same in your car.

5.0blackbrd
06-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I guess it couldn't hurt to run another can through. Can you feel your IMRC's open when the car is cold? I know when I first take off in my car I can feel the carslightly bog when the IMRC's open, wasn't sure if it was the same in your car.

Is there a way to check the movement of the IMRC's manually? Can you move them by hand? I don't know too much about the 4.6 yet.

Mike Donley

Wall96cobra
06-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Well my car has an electric motor that opens the IMRC's so I can just rev the car to 3200rpm and feel the cables at the back of the intake open the IMRC's. I think your is vacuum operated so I'm not sure at what RPM or vacuum they open at but you should be able to see or atleast feel where the cables are at the back of the intake, then try reving the car up to see if they move.

5.0blackbrd
06-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Well my car has an electric motor that opens the IMRC's so I can just rev the car to 3200rpm and feel the cables at the back of the intake open the IMRC's. I think your is vacuum operated so I'm not sure at what RPM or vacuum they open at but you should be able to see or atleast feel where the cables are at the back of the intake, then try reving the car up to see if they move.

Thanks Wall, I will try that tomorrow.

Mike Donley

banditmwp
06-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Possible IAC? :shrug:

hevymtl
06-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Possible IAC? :shrug:

:werd: