PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Radiator.

Disney Lincoln
06-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Any of you guys ever had much luick sealing back up a leaky aluminum radiator? My Griffin rad leaves like a mofo. Its all on one side. They epoxy the end tanks on and it doesnt stick to the metal very well, so it peels off and leaks. I haev put more epoxy on it, and it slows it down for a while, but comes right back, and I cant really put enough on it to cover the whole end tank.

Any ideas???

joker
06-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Could you not find someone to weld it?

Disney Lincoln
06-17-2005, 02:17 AM
It's aluminum tank and core, but the end tanks are epoxied on, not welded. Would haev to take it apart and clean out all that epoxy before it would be welded, and I think I would rather perform open heart surgery on myself before i tired to do that.

EZ SPEED
06-17-2005, 03:16 AM
I would rather perform open heart surgery on myself before i tired to do that.
:lol:

Sorry I cant be more help, but that was funny.

Craig K.
06-17-2005, 07:47 AM
could call griffin and send it back to them for repair, might be cheaper than a new one :shrug:

Other than repatching it yourself, I don't have any ideas

Wicked
06-17-2005, 07:54 AM
I always heard not to buy aluminum radiators with epoxied tanks.

Not sure whate else you could do other than call Griffin as suggested.

joker
06-17-2005, 08:30 AM
It's aluminum tank and core, but the end tanks are epoxied on, not welded. Would haev to take it apart and clean out all that epoxy before it would be welded, and I think I would rather perform open heart surgery on myself before i tired to do that.
Yea, but it would be much easier in the long run than reapplying epoxy time after time only to have it start leaking again.

coupe
06-17-2005, 09:00 AM
You'll never get enough of that epoxy off to get a good tig weld... Scrap it & get an auto-parts store 3-row Brass. They last for years & are usually a bargain... No bling, but they work nicely. :nice:

Disney Lincoln
06-17-2005, 09:44 AM
It's looking like a new rad will be the way to go. I can get another alum. pretty cheap, WITH welded end tanks.

I bought this one many moons ago when the alum rads were first getting affordable for the masses. Nobody new back then that there were welded or epoxied tanks and everyone just said "Get the Griffin!" So I did. It was fine for about 4-5 years then a few blown HG's form teh turbo car has done it in I reccon.