PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding my 5.0

jwillburn119
06-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey what is the difference between the rebuild kits for the 87-95 small block 302 and the 86 and down... is that the change between the cleveland and winsdor? and do the gaskets still all change over? along with the main bearings... and dont they still have a 4 inch bore... making the rings fit the same?

QWKSNKE
06-22-2005, 08:26 PM
intake gaskets are different between the 2. pistons, rings, rods, etc should be the same.

Only 'cleveland' 302 (and I use that term loosely) was the boss 302 in 69-70

jwillburn119
06-22-2005, 09:06 PM
besides the intake gaskets... the heads are the same pattern and all that? or are all the gaskets... and i am talking about from the bottom up... are they all the same?

Craig K.
06-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Why don't you just get the kit for your car?

Like Lee said, the older vehicles will not have anything for the fuel injection manifiolds. Most everything else should be that same.

But still unless it is a huge cost difference I would just buy the kit for you engine.

Italian LX
06-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Why don't you just get the kit for your car?

Like Lee said, the older vehicles will not have anything for the fuel injection manifiolds. Most everything else should be that same.

But still unless it is a huge cost difference I would just buy the kit for you engine.
:agree:

There are too many miscellaneous gaskets and seals that would not be in the kit scuh as intake, throttle body, egr valve, egr spacer, IAC, injector o-rings, etc.

Even though you may not use some of these, it's always good to have them just in case.

jwillburn119
06-25-2005, 04:16 PM
you are right about those... the newer one is about 100 dollars more... thats why i was wondering

ujslost
06-26-2005, 07:54 AM
when i bought a gasket kit for a 89 it didnt come with the egr and throttle body gaskets. but i think it did come with new o rings for the injectors and also about 3 bags of valve seals and about 1000 water pump gaskets!
Personally for the throttle body and spacer i used glue, since i have an aftermarket setup and stock gaskets would have been to small anyways. And for the oil pan gasket, if your kit comes with a cork gasket throw it away, and spend the extra $25 bucks on a 1 piece rubber oil pan gasket. I also never used the front and rear intake gaskets, I always glue that also. I have heard from many ppl that those gaskets leak so I have never ever used them. And with just glue I have had great luck. BTW the kit I usually get is just the stock felpro kit. If ya need larger intake gaskets for larger intake/head ports such as a 1250 or 1262. Well that costs a bit more too. Thats my $ .02!

Craig K.
06-26-2005, 08:28 AM
I agree about just using a silicone gasket sealer for the intake to block in the valley area.
I have used cork gaskets for the oil pan, and have never had a leaker. One trick is to use carpet glue (from 3M) and glue the gasket in place on the block. Then where the gasket meets the seal on the main caps, use a dab of silicone.

Italian LX
06-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I agree about just using a silicone gasket sealer for the intake to block in the valley area.
I agree about not using the cork end gaskets, but if you get the blue rubber ones, they work great! If you choose not to use the blue gaskets, I'll take them ff your hands. :yup:

The bad part, is that the blue end gaskets only come with the stock intake kit; I use the Fel-Pro 1262 which come with the cheap cork strips... probably because its made for a 302/351 application and they either don't offer the blue ones for a 351 or it would be too expensive to include both sets of rubber end gaskets. I haven't found where you can buy the blue gaskets seperately yet.

Italian LX
06-26-2005, 11:57 AM
And for the oil pan gasket, if your kit comes with a cork gasket throw it away, and spend the extra $25 bucks on a 1 piece rubber oil pan gasket.
:agree: :agree: :agree:

jwillburn119
06-26-2005, 06:47 PM
alright... thanks for the input... as far as the main bearings also? anyone got any input? i was gonna use the clevite tri metals...

Craig K.
06-26-2005, 08:01 PM
alright... thanks for the input... as far as the main bearings also? anyone got any input? i was gonna use the clevite tri metals...

Good choice, make sure you plasti-gage them at a minimum, and use a good quality during the final assembly.

86GT
06-27-2005, 12:44 AM
The 86 did not come with dished pistioned. They had real crappppppy heads too.