PDA

View Full Version : Spring Decisions

Craig K.
06-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Heres the summary of my research on springs for the 95 Cobra Conv.

I am looking at keeping a fairly smooth ride, getting a drop of around 11/2" and not spending a lot of money.
Being that this is my DD (100 miles per day), and not a race car (already have one of those) I do not want to go outrageous on this car.

Heres the choices:
Stock are 400 front rears are 160

1) FMPP - 5300G (conv. only springs)
Fronts 460-570 (11/2")
Rears 200-250 (1/1/2")
$198.

2) FMPP - 5300B
Fronts 425-530 (11/8") - could cut or have no insulator for more drop
Rears 200-300 (7/8") - could cut or have no insulator for more drop
$121

3) Get a pair of used stock springs to cut. This would be app. $50 or so for the springs, and depending on how many times I would need to cut them, could take up to 5 or more hours worth of work.

Most other springs cost more than what I want to spend on a DD.
I would like to do coil overs, how ever I can't justify that much money on a DD, when I should put them on the race car.

I also thought about doing the Bullit kit, however the drop is only 7/8" and the front springs are specific rate at 600, however I think a variable spring would be better for what I use the car for.

I do plan on doing CC plates, and off-set rack bushings. Depending on the steering I may also do a bump steer kit, but will have to wait to see how the finished product is.

So please share some opinions / suggestions.

coupe
06-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Cut the stockers and get the CC plates off of slvrbullit. You'd have minimal expense and a great looking setup. Cut springs ride pretty nice.
Save the racing for your other car. :nice:

Craig K.
06-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Cut the stockers and get the CC plates off of slvrbullit. You'd have minimal expense and a great looking setup. Cut springs ride pretty nice.
Save the racing for your other car. :nice:

Yeah I have replied to Tommy's post, do you know if his CC's are caster adjustable ?

I really don't want to cut the original springs. I am keeping all the stock parts off of this car, as they are (I didn't even cut the stock cat-back when I changed it), just incase it is ever worth anything :shrug: but perhaps I could get some take-offs pretty cheap and cut those.

95GTMan
06-23-2005, 09:55 AM
I liked the steeda sport springs I use to have. Good ride and before the X2 balljoints the ride height was perfect. And the CC plates that tommy is selling should be adj. I think they are the sameones I have.

Italian LX
06-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Yeah I have replied to Tommy's post, do you know if his CC's are caster adjustable ?
If they weren't, then would they just be called C plates? :shrug:

:D

Btw, I agree with Brandon... I have yet to see a plate that only allows camber adjustments. :nice:

QWKSNKE
06-23-2005, 10:14 AM
I think I am going to change springs very soon. I have the FMS 'B' springs

ChipR4cam
06-23-2005, 10:18 AM

Why do you always have to mess with stuff? :slap:

There is a very lonely, underpowered GT in your yard that would like some attention.

Craig K.
06-23-2005, 10:25 AM
If they weren't, then would they just be called C plates? :shrug:

:D

Btw, I agree with Brandon... I have yet to see a plate that only allows camber adjustments. :nice:

The plates that I have on my 85 do not allow caster adjustment. The are welded in a I believe what should give a 4 degree setting. But these are about 11 or 12 years old.

Craig K.
06-23-2005, 10:27 AM

Lee, when would you be planning on doing this? Also if you want to sell the B springs, let me know. If you want, PM me. I could even help you in swapping them out if needed.

Let me know

Purple1995Pony
06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
definitely stay away from used springs unless you know they have low mileage on them. cutting used stock springs that have more than 50,000 mi on them will give you a terrible ride. progressive rate springs will give you the best dd ride and handling. I've heard good things about these springs but they're a bit more pricey.... $10 or so .... than the "g" springs.

MRT Street Performance Springs The MRT Engineering team developed a street performance suspension that really delivers the goods! The MRT Street Performance Springs give your Mustang an aggressive stance with superior balanced handling while maintaining your ride quality.
The MRT 'Street' Springs lowers your Mustang 1-1/4" providing more aggressive stance!

*$15.00 ground shipping charge applies

Part # Description Price
MRT-301 MRT Street Performance Springs $209.95

ujslost
06-26-2005, 08:22 AM
can you cut a rear spring though? arent they made where ya cant? and it fit in the saddle again. The front is differant the top of the spring is same diameter as rest of the spring. but the rear spring is smaller at the top and the bottom correct?

Craig K.
06-26-2005, 08:32 AM
can you cut a rear spring though? arent they made where ya cant? and it fit in the saddle again. The front is differant the top of the spring is same diameter as rest of the spring. but the rear spring is smaller at the top and the bottom correct?

The rear spring bottom is a pig tail design, and you cannot cut that. You can cut the top of the rear spring with no problem.

Also the top of both the front and rear do not have a specific position detail. Actually onlt the front bottom does.

ujslost
06-26-2005, 08:38 AM
ok so the rear spring has the same diameter as the rest of the spring also (except for the pigtail which sets on the lower control arm? Thanks its been a while since i changed springs and wasnt 100% sure on the rear spring.
so how much to cut to achieve a 1.5 inch drop.
half a coil or 1 complete coil?
btw I have 4 banger springs in the rear, and stock v8s up front, they are rated differant so probly wouldnt cut as much out of a 4 banger spring as you would a v8 spring right?
I did this on a silverado once. and 1 coil took nearly 3 inches out, but this is a larger truck and heavier.

86GT
06-27-2005, 12:27 AM
I would have to agree, I would not cut the stock springs. I did it on mine and it rode like shit. It was way to soft and rolled bad. I then purchased and installed Motorsport C springs. It rides a tad stiffer than stock but handles much better.

hevymtl
06-27-2005, 03:53 PM
I wouldnt cut the stockers. I would get Tommy's CC's and some Steeda sport springs.

Wicked
06-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Blah...

I cut a full coil on the fronts on my 89 and had no problems. Lowered the front about 1-1.5 inches and gave it a nice rake...the back end was lower before this.

I would say, as easy as it is to do it and remove/install, I'd try it. If you don't like it, save the money for some diffferent springs.

Its easy for people to say buy this, buy that. But you won't know 'til you try it.

QWKSNKE
06-27-2005, 04:26 PM
I would say, as easy as it is to do it and remove/install, I'd try it.

Don't know what was different in your 89, but each fox I have put springs on is a freaking nightmare. The lower a-arms do not release enough to slide the springs in like they do on the 94 ups. Takes 2 people with prybars to get the fronts in.

Besides, all you gain with cutting coils is a 'look'. You don't get anywhere near the performance that any aftermarket spring has to offer.

Wicked
06-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Don't know what was different in your 89, but each fox I have put springs on is a freaking nightmare. The lower a-arms do not release enough to slide the springs in like they do on the 94 ups. Takes 2 people with prybars to get the fronts in.

Besides, all you gain with cutting coils is a 'look'. You don't get anywhere near the performance that any aftermarket spring has to offer.

Hmm, I don't remember mine being hard. It was a while back though.

You're right, it will never handle as good as aftermarket springs. But its a cheap cosmetic mod in my book.

Craig K.
06-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, I only don't want to cut the OEM springs, just in case the car is ever worth anything, I am trying to save all the original parts.
I had thought about doing a cut job on some springs, but just more for a time issue decieded to go ahead and buy some instead. I have been saving for several months so now I have the money for them, I might as well do it.
I did look into cutting a bit, I have all the needed tools already, but the biggest factor would be the increase rates, and on the vert, I want a little softer ride, something that is just a touch hard than stock and thats about all.

So I have deceided to buy the M5300G springs, I can get them from www.johnbleakleyford.com for $198, the springs are made by Eibach, they have a 1.5" F/R drop, but I will most likely eliminate the front isolator to pick up another 1/4" drop or so.

I have also bought Tommy's C/C plates, and am looking at the Steeda .4" offset aluminum rack bushings.

hevymtl
06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Its easy for people to say buy this, buy that. But you won't know 'til you try it.

:rolleyes:

Craig K.
06-29-2005, 04:59 PM
I ordered the M5300G springs from John Bleakley Ford yesterday morning, and they arrived yesterday. Paid $198 and $23 for shipping.

Hoping to install them Saturday night.