PDA

View Full Version : Good amp for my car's sub?

FastRedPonyCar
06-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Well the good ol caleeforneia profile amp bit the dust on the way home from the dragon (It had to have been the scorpions) so anyways, I'm in the market for a new amp. The sub is an Infinity kappa capabale of handling a max of 1200 watts. I figure 600 would be plenty but I value bass quality over quantity.

I found this on crutchfield's site and was wondering if it'd be a good deal or not?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ksmy0SWh4eg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=110&I=675P5002

Also any other reccomendations under $300 would be great.

DSkeet
06-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Well the good ol caleeforneia profile amp bit the dust on the way home from the dragon (It had to have been the scorpions) so anyways, I'm in the market for a new amp. The sub is an Infinity kappa capabale of handling a max of 1200 watts. I figure 600 would be plenty but I value bass quality over quantity.

I found this on crutchfield's site and was wondering if it'd be a good deal or not?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ksmy0SWh4eg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=110&I=675P5002

Also any other reccomendations under $300 would be great.

I haven't ever been a huuuuuge fan of Sony car audio, but this year they have a pretty kick ass amp for the money. It is rated at 1100 watts(no way it could do that much for the money), so I am thinking by the fusing on the amp it pushes around maybe 400-500 watts. It is a specialty series amp by Sony so it isn't what Walmart and every other chain sells. Exclusive dealers like me get them. I think I retail it around $269, if I knew you were getting it or anyone else on the board I would sell it for $199 not installed, install through the shop is $35 more. I have no pic of that one.

Now the one I would go for may cost a little money but is well worth it. Diamond Audio D3600.1. This amp is rated at 600 watts but does around 900. Diamond under rates their stuff where Sony over rates it. I sell Diamond Audio more that Kicker, Pioneer, Sony, Clarion, Eclipse, etc. This is our bread and butter! Retail I sell these amps for $429 installed. For you or anyone else on the board I would go $349.95 installed. I stress that you would want us to install this amp because you get a lifetime warranty on the amp as long as it stays in the original car we install it in. If not then it drops down to a MFG 1 yr warranty. I sold Lee some Diamond components a while back so he might be able to vouch for them(if he's installed them!)
Here is a pic:
http://www.diamondaudio.com/images/products/D3-3400.4_L.jpg

If you have any questions gimme a holla

David@Wizard Car Audio
work-256-820-3900
cell-256-310-2374

Italian LX
06-24-2005, 07:10 AM
I sold Lee some Diamond components a while back so he might be able to vouch for them(if he's installed them!)
He has installed them... but they are in Shelly's Cobra. :huh:

:popcorn:

Scothew
06-24-2005, 09:44 AM
The Diamond stuff is awesome as DSkeet says. Well worth the money. I am a big fan of kicker stuff as well though. My XS50 amp pushes my 1 12" L7 in a sealed box with great success. You cant hardly find the XS50 or XS100 anymore except occasionally on ebay. They have newer models out that i've heard and they sound awesome as well.

Here's a kx1200.1 for 300 on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79829&item=5783017965&rd=1

You coudl do well with a kx600.1 i'd think.

Just look around, you will find good deals, like I did on my aquarium light setup.

coupe
06-24-2005, 09:47 AM
I stil like Rockford Fosgate. Everyone talks of how "downhill" they've gone...but as far as quality and sound: plenty good enough for me...and you can buy them at Best Buy!
I've NEVER had problems out of them. They drive just about any load/impedence you give them. :)

mustang1549
06-24-2005, 09:50 AM
I stil like Rockford Fosgate. Everyone talks of how "downhill" they've gone...but as far as quality and sound: plenty good enough for me...and you can buy them at Best Buy!

thats were my brother got his RF amp. i think it was the 500 and sounded great.

Jhootersgirl
06-24-2005, 10:02 AM
thats were my brother got his RF amp. i think it was the 500 and sounded great.

RF is the shiZZny! Ive always loved their products.

CrazyInBlack
06-24-2005, 02:03 PM
i used to only use RF stuff but I am on the "they went downhill bandwagon"

I really like orion amps for subs and eclipse amps for highs

DSkeet
06-24-2005, 08:57 PM
I just recently installed my sub and amp. I got the top of the line Diamond D9 12(badassssss freakin sub), and their d61500.1(true 1800 watts, killing my alternator!!), the new high line eclipse cd8455(sony memory stick, sirius ready, parametric eq, xover, reaaaally in depth) next goes my false panels, big 4 channel, 2 pairs of diamond hex components, 200 amp alternator, and stinger batt in the trunk. All of this of course after my gears are in and front bumper fixed and put on...dang...where am i gonna get all the money for all of this?!?!?!

Ponygirl
06-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I just recently installed my sub and amp. I got the top of the line Diamond D9 12(badassssss freakin sub), and their d61500.1(true 1800 watts, killing my alternator!!), the new high line eclipse cd8455(sony memory stick, sirius ready, parametric eq, xover, reaaaally in depth) next goes my false panels, big 4 channel, 2 pairs of diamond hex components, 200 amp alternator, and stinger batt in the trunk. All of this of course after my gears are in and front bumper fixed and put on...dang...where am i gonna get all the money for all of this?!?!?!
I trust Dskeet's opinion....he does this for a living :yup:

Italian LX
06-24-2005, 10:37 PM
:stupid:

DSkeet
06-25-2005, 05:32 AM

awww thanks!! ....you too brian!

Italian LX
06-25-2005, 09:39 AM
awww thanks!! ....you too brian!
Are you thanking me for agreeing with Shelly... or because I called her stupid? :think:

:jester:

DSkeet
06-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Are you thanking me for agreeing with Shelly... or because I called her stupid? :think:

:jester:

You knew what I meant!!!

Italian LX
06-25-2005, 04:12 PM
You knew what I meant!!!
I was just making sure. . . but I was only joking when I called her stupid. :huh:

banditmwp
06-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I was just making sure. . . but I was only joking when I called her stupid. :huh:
:lol:

Ponygirl
06-25-2005, 10:14 PM
He has installed them... but they are in Shelly's Cobra. :huh:

:popcorn:

:rofl: Now there's irony for ya.....I may actually get to hear how they sound some day. :rolleyes:

FastRedPonyCar
06-27-2005, 09:43 AM
So if I get this diamond amp, how big of a hurt willl it put on the alternator? I rarely turn it up loud. I rmemebr in the mustang that the headlights would dim when I cranked it. Would one of those lighting farad capacitors keep my alternator happy and relatively stress free?

Ponygirl
06-27-2005, 09:45 AM
So if I get this diamond amp, how big of a hurt willl it put on the alternator? I rarely turn it up loud. I rmemebr in the mustang that the headlights would dim when I cranked it. Would one of those lighting farad capacitors keep my alternator happy and relatively stress free?
Probably not but you could try a flux capacitor :D

SthrnDaizey
06-27-2005, 09:52 AM
:lol: flux capacitor = teh win :nice:

FastRedPonyCar
06-27-2005, 09:56 AM
GREAT SCOTT!! That could be the ticket!! 1.21 gigawatts of power might be just what I need!

Ponygirl
06-27-2005, 09:57 AM
GREAT SCOTT!! That could be the ticket!! 1.21 gigawatts of power might be just what I need!
AAAAHHHHH!!! :rofl: :rofl:

TheJeanyus
06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
:lol:

DSkeet
06-27-2005, 10:37 AM

I don't think the d3600.1 would hurt the alt much. It pulls around 40 amps I think not sure. I don't think power capacitors do all they are made up to be. I mean yea in theory they will restore lost energy when a bass note comes in but if you are on a hard heavy song and it keeps on drawing from the cap, it cant keep up. I don't think you will need anything, however if you wanted to be on the safe side, you could wire an extra battery in the trunk. I doubt you would need it though!