PDA

View Full Version : Too Lean?

ujslost
06-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Ok i remember Lee had a post about a popping out the intake and tail pipes talking about which meant it was lean and or rich.
Ya said that popping tail pipes was lean
and the intake was rich correct.
Well my air fuel ratio guage tells me that when idle mine is off the scale lean, and when driving its in the stoich area, but when its cold the bastard wants to buck and pop out the tail pipes(not backfireing popping). After it warms up it quits popping but still never goes rich when i am beating on this thing even at full or part throttle. So my question is this. Should I possibly need to up the fuel pressure some?
Now I havent had a chance to put my FPG on the rail yet to see what its set at now, Which i will do today, and then edit this post. But with a 24lb injector and gt40 heads headers TFstage1 cam and typhoon intake, I am going to start out at 40-42 psi. Does this sound good to you guys? And then probly pull the timing up also, i had it set at 16* and it was detinating, so I have it turned down to around 14* now.
Opinions and tech help appreciated.

QWKSNKE
06-26-2005, 08:48 AM
I believe its the other way around. Popping out the exhaust is 'rich' and backfiring out the intake is lean/ timing off.

ujslost
06-26-2005, 08:57 AM
i got to thinking about that after i posted that, Thanks Lee. Popping could be an exhaust leak also. I know i got a collector leaking a little.

QWKSNKE
06-26-2005, 09:09 AM
yep. Mine was doing it because base timing was set around 4 degrees and under boost I was going to about 16 degrees retarded :doh:

Shorty
06-26-2005, 10:34 AM
:lol:

Italian LX
06-26-2005, 12:05 PM
I recommend doing a cylinder leak-down test.

Wicked
06-26-2005, 03:25 PM
About 36 psi should be a good starting point when you get the FP gage on.

ujslost
06-26-2005, 05:39 PM
set fp to 42 , sucker runs and idles alot better, doesnt idle and run like a carbed car on a cold day now, cranks right up
Now a new problem
when I make a sharp right turn the car dies , like the gas goes to one side of the tank and starves the pump. This has happened 3 times now. First time I was doing a dougnut LMAO!