PDA

View Full Version : The Tick (03 Cobra)

NO2MORO
06-26-2005, 04:22 PM
A while back I was having a problem with a metalic knocking noise from the driver's side of the car. I drove the car up to Wicked's house and we both looked all under the hood trying to find the source of the tick. Neither of use was able to determine where the sound was coming from.

It has been several months since it started and I just now took it to the shop to get it repaired. I dropped the car off on Monday morning and picked it up last Friday. Nothing was wrong with the car according to the service manager.

So Friday I went out to the shop and drove the car around Bessemer for awhile to heat the engine up. After driving around for awhile I took the car back to the service shop and guess what. No ticking sound.

My questions is, do you think the internals on my car are drying up from the long periods of time it sits up?

Reason I bring this up is that most of the time my car sits in the garage for two to four weeks at a time. Just recently I started driving the car more often. In the last two months I put over four thousand miles on the car.

I was just wondering if maybe all the driving has help keep the internals from drying out.

Wicked
06-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Well, if you had damaged the engine from cold start and no oil(from sitting) you would probably have the sound all the time.

QWKSNKE
06-28-2005, 07:59 PM
I would recommend that you crank your car at least every 10 days. What type of oil are you running?

lukem80
08-04-2005, 03:20 PM
wasn't there a service recall on Cobra heads ticking... since the cooling was messed up in those heads or something.

Wicked
08-04-2005, 03:47 PM
wasn't there a service recall on Cobra heads ticking... since the cooling was messed up in those heads or something.

Yes, but the dealer has to hear the tick to perform the recall, at least as far as I am aware.

Travis has said that anytime he has gone to the dealer, the dealer can't hear it.

lukem80
08-05-2005, 07:49 AM
http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/session/00-00-1075176383-MVC-270S.jpg

lots of people do the Apten cooling mod! looks like its hard as hell to get to back there

myillwillinc
08-05-2005, 08:14 AM
some of the 03 cobras had a loose rocker arm on one side, it could be alittle loose from the factory and it gets alittle dry from sitting thus ticking...... just a guess...

myillwillinc
08-05-2005, 08:17 AM
- how much is the apten cooling mod?

lukem80
08-05-2005, 12:58 PM
i have no idea. I have a 2V lol and they just came out with Apten for my heads i think. probably less than $500 bucks

Italian LX
08-05-2005, 03:35 PM
- how much is the apten cooling mod?
The parts aren't that expensive... it's the labor that kills you since you just about have to pull the motor to do it.

Wall did it to his 4V when he put the built motor in; maybe he could reply with the approximate cost of the parts. I believe there is a thread somewhere here or on the Mafia that has the Ford part numbers for the tubes that go on the back of the heads.

QWKSNKE
08-05-2005, 03:41 PM
yeah i believe it was less than $100 for all the parts

Wall96cobra
08-06-2005, 08:13 AM
The parts aren't that expensive... it's the labor that kills you since you just about have to pull the motor to do it.

Wall did it to his 4V when he put the built motor in; maybe he could reply with the approximate cost of the parts. I believe there is a thread somewhere here or on the Mafia that has the Ford part numbers for the tubes that go on the back of the heads.

Yeah it was under $50 for the parts, I'll have to look back to find the part number of the cooling tube. I installed it while my motor was out so it was easy but if you want to install it with the motor still in the car you have to drop the trans.

Sendero
08-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Unless this has been resolved, the Apten Cooling Mod has issues:

Thread on Modular Fords (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24697&highlight=cooling+mod)

Here is the cooling mods that is supposed to "replace it":

LDC Cooling Mod (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24580)

Here is what I posted on the Mafia Boards:

Modular 4v Cooling Mod

This mod consist of two stock Ford coolant necks that allow hot coolant to escape from the rear of the heads. Very popular with 4v Cobra owners who have had the dreaded "tick" or the 7&8 cylinders fail. A must have mod for ANY rebuild.

Parts Needed

18" of Standard Heater Hose (your stock size, varies with year)
Plastic Tee fitting (size of your heater hose)
3 Standard Screw Hose Clamps
Drivers Side Part #: ????
Pass. Side Part #: XR3Z 18B402-DA

I could only find the part number for the Passenger side. Help me out on the drivers, please.

Wall96cobra
08-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Unless this has been resolved, the Apten Cooling Mod has issues:

Thread on Modular Fords (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24697&highlight=cooling+mod)

Here is the cooling mods that is supposed to "replace it":

LDC Cooling Mod (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24580)

Here is what I posted on the Mafia Boards:

The mod itself is not a problem just the plastic T fitting, you can buy a brass T fitting from most harware stores.

Wicked
08-07-2005, 10:01 AM
The mod itself is not a problem just the plastic T fitting, you can buy a brass T fitting from most harware stores.

When that problem came up, I was wondering who would use the cheap plastic tee anyway. Too risky.

NO2MORO
08-12-2005, 07:19 PM
:drool: The tick is back. It had stopped for awhile. We drove the car to Atlanta last weekend and when we stopped to meet up for dinner, I heard the car ticking again. My brother said that last time he had a problem and the dealer could not find it, he video taped the car running when it was making the noise on his cobra. He says that he then played it for the dealership and they took his car in for service.

On the Apten cooling, it is best to install the pipes when you have the Transmission out. I will soon need to replace the Clutch (taught Mahaley how to drive the car). I will install that mod then.

mustangmuscle
08-13-2005, 06:14 PM
:drool: The tick is back. It had stopped for awhile. We drove the car to Atlanta last weekend and when we stopped to meet up for dinner, I heard the car ticking again. My brother said that last time he had a problem and the dealer could not find it, he video taped the car running when it was making the noise on his cobra. He says that he then played it for the dealership and they took his car in for service.

On the Apten cooling, it is best to install the pipes when you have the Transmission out. I will soon need to replace the Clutch (taught Mahaley how to drive the car). I will install that mod then.

Have you already purchased the Apten cooling mod? If not, may want to check out the cooling mod from LDC Chicago. from what I have been told, it is better quality and better engineered....fwiw. Do a search over at ModularFords.com in the Terminator section....lots of info....

mj_8
08-24-2005, 12:32 PM
You definalty need to do the LDC mod versus the Apten.

Check out this sticky on SVTP.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165799&highlight=LDC+mod

NO2MORO
08-28-2005, 02:15 PM
That kit looks a whole lot better than the Apten. I have heard that adding the kit takes care of the Tick. How many people here have done this mod to their car? Does it really work?

mustangmuscle
08-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Not sure if the cooling mod will "cure" the tick or not, but still worth doing, IMHO. Will be doing this mod the very first time my tranny comes out. You may want to do a search or PM Uncle Meat over on Stangnet. He's a moderator over there and has had the head replaced twice on his 03 Cobra due to the "tick", (under warranty, by the way). Not many know more about this situation than he does. He's helped me out more times than I can count....good guy!

Chris

Shorty
08-28-2005, 05:00 PM
:eek: