PDA

View Full Version : Is there a suspension that could serve double duty?

DSkeet
06-28-2005, 07:17 AM
I am trying to decide which direction I want to go with the 89, and am wondering if there is a suspension that kind of meets in the middle? I would like to be able to occasionally hit the 1/4 track but also be able to hit the corners pretty hard. Thanks for any help!

Sendero
06-28-2005, 07:34 AM
I am trying to decide which direction I want to go with the 89, and am wondering if there is a suspension that kind of meets in the middle? I would like to be able to occasionally hit the 1/4 track but also be able to hit the corners pretty hard. Thanks for any help!

See Brian or Lee on that one. They've got suspensions that pull double duty.

Italian LX
06-28-2005, 07:43 AM
See Brian or Lee on that one. They've got suspensions that pull double duty.
Actually, our current set ups are only adjustible for softer/firmer settings which is geared towards the twisty roads. I do adjust them at the drag strip, but I don't gain near the benefits of a true "double-duty" suspension.

What you want is an adjustible drag strut in the front. It has a 50/50 street setting and you can vary them up to a 90/10 setting to give you the split dampening you need for a good launch. :nice:

Lee and I just talked about this the other day and he was talking about going ahead and getting the Tokico adjustible drag strut for his Cobra.

Jugg2Driver
06-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Check out the KB Track Kit, it will tighten the car up considerably and help you put power to the ground!

Check with Paul on it!

DSkeet
06-28-2005, 10:30 AM
So the Eibach drag/launch kit would just serve as a drag setup only? Does that setup actually lower the can any?

TheJeanyus
06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes, the Eibach drag kit is pretty much a drag setup. It doesn't lower the car like Sportlines or even the Pro-Kit.

DSkeet
06-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Yes, the Eibach drag kit is pretty much a drag setup. It doesn't lower the car like Sportlines or even the Pro-Kit.

The more I think about it, the more I wanna do a street setup. I think I may start with the sportlines like I have on the '02, then shock/struts, then sway bars, etc. Thanks for the help fellas!

TheJeanyus
06-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Lee hooks fine with corner carving springs and adjustable shocks/struts. Just make sure you put good upper and lower control arms on it whatever you decide to do. :nice:

Craig K.
06-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Do some research and check spring rates, and higher rate will generally tighen it up a bit, and give a firmer ride. Go too far in this direction and you will not be able to "hook" at the drag strip.

My '85 runs adjustable front struts, and 1000 lbs springs in the front, a variable rear shock and cut stock springs in the rear, it handels pretty well, and at the strip on slicks hook, o.k..

However, the trade off is a very firm and hard ride.

Running a spring rate in the front that is under 650 (IMO) should give you much improved handeling, but will also be a bit stiffer than stock. In the rear it seems like most springs are in the 200-300 range.

Also the Strut / shock package will make a big difference as well.

Thunderstorm
06-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Who around the ham does a good job on spring installs?

Last price I got for installing springs was 300 bucks. Seems high.

Craig K.
06-29-2005, 05:15 PM

Not sure on the '05 fronts, but I think you take the strut/spring out, then remove the spring from the strut, install the new spring and reinstall the assembly, I think it might be even easier than the older cars, the rears are probably about the same.

$300 is maybe a little high, can you do it yourself?

QWKSNKE
06-29-2005, 06:15 PM

I would not recommend a drop spring on the 05 just yet. There is more involved on them then just a spring change. Kenny Brown is working on some stuff and I believe Steeda is as well. Drop springs change the WHOLE geometry of the suspension on the 05 and both of the above companies is looking into it.

TheJeanyus
06-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I would not recommend a drop spring on the 05 just yet. There is more involved on them then just a spring change. Kenny Brown is working on some stuff and I believe Steeda is as well. Drop springs change the WHOLE geometry of the suspension on the 05 and both of the above companies is looking into it.
:werd: I've heard a lot of different people say that lowering an '05 actually hurts cornering capabilities. Like Lee said, Steeda and Kenny Brown are both working to figure out how to adjust the suspension geometry so that lowering it will help it rather than hurt it.

I saw an '05 with Eibachs the other day, though, and I must say it looked dead sexy. :drool:

DSkeet
06-30-2005, 05:55 AM
300 sounds high, here on the eastside it runs around 100-150 bucks plus alignment...

Thunderstorm
06-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Not sure on the '05 fronts, but I think you take the strut/spring out, then remove the spring from the strut, install the new spring and reinstall the assembly, I think it might be even easier than the older cars, the rears are probably about the same.

$300 is maybe a little high, can you do it yourself?

I've never done a spring swap before, so I would want someone to do it right, as opposed to what I would probably end up with. :jester:

Thunderstorm
06-30-2005, 06:29 AM

Now see, I had heard the same stuff. Dropping it changing the geometry and adversely affecting handling. Of course, every time I mentioned it, the shop says - oh no, it will be alright. But I know I am the guinea pig in this deal and they really want the experience. I already have the Eibach pro-kit (Eibach hasn't said crap about any issues) but I didn't know about the others working on the problem. Think I will take your advice here and wait to see what they come up with. :nice:

I saw an '05 with Eibachs the other day, though, and I must say it looked dead sexy.

:metal: Speaking of which, when deciding on the amount of drop in ride height, shouldn't I plan on whatever wheel size I will end up with when I put new feet on the pony? Like say, if I change from 17 to 19? Seems logical to base calcs off desired wheel size, not current.

QWKSNKE
06-30-2005, 06:44 AM
300 sounds high, here on the eastside it runs around 100-150 bucks plus alignment...

that depends on the car. I wouldn't do an IRS car or an 05 for that price

Italian LX
06-30-2005, 06:45 AM
that depends on the car. I wouldn't do an IRS car for that price
:werd:

Shorty
06-30-2005, 05:18 PM
shouldn't I plan on whatever wheel size I will end up with when I put new feet on the pony? Like say, if I change from 17 to 19? Seems logical to base calcs off desired wheel size, not current.

i dont think that is a huge issue cause overall diameter of the tire should stay the same.

TheJeanyus
06-30-2005, 05:39 PM
i dont think that is a huge issue cause overall diameter of the tire should stay the same.
:stupid: It won't be exactly the same, but it will be close enough not to matter a lot.

Shorty
06-30-2005, 09:17 PM
:stupid: It won't be exactly the same, but it will be close enough not to matter a lot.

:slap: you get what i am saying. :D