PDA

View Full Version : T-bird issues

TheJeanyus
06-30-2005, 10:08 PM
When the motor is cold, the engine runs kinda rough. When accellerating, it acts alright under light throttle, but if you give it more than about 50% throttle it stalls/hesitates (in first gear it pulls about as hard as 4th gear does normally) and starts popping through the intake and won't rev past about 3000 rpms. Any ideas?

Matt and I were talking about it and he said it could be the mass air meter. His mom's Cougar did something similar and replacing the mass air fixed it. Anyone got an extra meter calibrated for 19s lying around that they know works properly?

Wicked
07-01-2005, 04:47 AM
Sounds like its leaning way out.

Could also be fuel pump.

When its warm will it run like normal?

TheJeanyus
07-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Yes, when it's warm it runs fine.

QWKSNKE
07-01-2005, 06:59 AM
maybe a vacuum leak

Italian LX
07-01-2005, 07:06 AM
My car had a similar problem with the leaking valves except that it would backfire through the exhaust. However, my problem totally went away after 3200 RPM and it ean like a scalded dog. :yup:

5.0blackbrd
07-01-2005, 04:53 PM
When the motor is cold, the engine runs kinda rough. When accellerating, it acts alright under light throttle, but if you give it more than about 50% throttle it stalls/hesitates (in first gear it pulls about as hard as 4th gear does normally) and starts popping through the intake and won't rev past about 3000 rpms. Any ideas?

Matt and I were talking about it and he said it could be the mass air meter. His mom's Cougar did something similar and replacing the mass air fixed it. Anyone got an extra meter calibrated for 19s lying around that they know works properly?

I have one for my '91 5.0 motor. It is for 19 lb injectors You could swap the sensor into your housing.

Mike Donley

TheJeanyus
07-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Well, the car is now parked until the new trans goes in. I was trying to turn around at the end of my dad's street today, and at 4500 rpms in reverse it was moving forward on a VERY slight incline. Piece of shit. I left it in Alabaster and I'm borrowing Dad's truck until it's fixed (he has a company vehicle to drive).

TheJeanyus
07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Ok, now the transmission problem is fixed so the car is back home again.

How do I check for vaccuum leaks? If it has one, how do I find it?

Wicked
07-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Ok, now the transmission problem is fixed so the car is back home again.

How do I check for vaccuum leaks? If it has one, how do I find it?

You can use starter fluid and spray around the intake and where vacuum lines route. If there is a vacuum leak, the engine rpm should change.

I would also hook a vacuum gage up to see where your vacuum level is. It should be around 20 inches of mercury at idle.