PDA

View Full Version : Tires.....ASAP!

mustangmuscle
07-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Hope this is the right place to post this....if not, I apologize....

Long story short....had a blow-out on I-85 today and gotta get some new skins for my car. Looking for something reasonably priced, good wet and dry traction. Considering something along the lines of 245's up front and 285-295 out back without "breaking-the-bank". Already planning on some other mods and wasnt counting on having to buy tires too.....but gotta do it now. Blow-outs are no fun....

Thanks!

Chris

QWKSNKE
07-03-2005, 10:38 PM
nitto 555's are a good bang for the buck in most tire sizes.

mustangmuscle
07-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reply and info.....do really appreciate it. Heard good things about the 555's will check them out.

BTW....have had lots of recommendations on the Kumho Ecsta MX.....know anything about them?

Sincerely,
Chris

Shorty
07-03-2005, 10:51 PM
i believe TheJeanyus has the Ecsta. if i remember correctly he said the tread wear sucked. he can elaborate more.

Italian LX
07-03-2005, 10:52 PM
BTW....have had lots of recommendations on the Kumho Ecsta MX.....know anything about them?
If that's what TheJeanyus runs on his '03, then I would say that they are a good tire, but the treadwear has a lot to be desired.

I second the 555's. I have run many different tire brands of high-performance tires and I have never run a tire that even came close to the 555. They have excellent dry and wet weather traction and great handling characteristics. Also, the treadwear is very low for such a performance oriented tire. :nice:

mustangmuscle
07-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys! Great info and I really appreciate it!
Any recommendations on where to find these tires at a good price?

Chris

TheJeanyus
07-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Get the NT555s. The Ecsta MXs have great traction both wet and dry, but they wear out FAST. Go with a 275/40 all the way around. That's what the car has stock, and it would look goofy with 245s on the front. Plus you can rotate them that way.

mustangmuscle
07-04-2005, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the info Joseph. The Kumho Ecsta MX are very highly recommended by several who have them on their Cobra's, but no one has mentioned that they wear out so fast. I do appreciate it.

Was considering going wider in the back than the front. Was told you cant go wider than a 295 up front on stock wheel, and that is really pushing it. Saw a guy with a black Vert with the 245/295 set-up looked just too mean....Think that looks goofy, huh?

Where to get the 555's for the best price?

Thanks again!

Chris

Craig K.
07-04-2005, 06:10 AM
http://forums.qwiksnake.com/showthread.php?t=2354

also try TireRack or Discount Tire

Italian LX
07-04-2005, 08:17 AM
also try TireRack or Discount Tire
Unless they recently changed, TireRack doesn't sell Nitto.

Wicked
07-04-2005, 09:13 AM
www.discounttiredirect.com

Nitto's all the way.

TheJeanyus
07-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Blake @ Walker Dyno can get you some Nittos. He had great prices back when I checked on them before ordering my Kumhos. Not sure how Discount Tire Direct compares though.

I think it would look goofy to go to a smaller tire than stock in the front. You can put a 315 Nitto 555R on the rear - I've see it done several times on stock wheels. Sendero also has those tires on a set of '95 Cobra Rs, which are the same size as our stock wheels.

mustangmuscle
07-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks again for the great info guys. Am hoping to do business "in-person", as opposed to "on-line"...need the tires like yesterday :banana: Dont feel comfortable riding around on the "donut" spare, so the car is parked. Having to borrow a car....total POS Honda Civic with millions of miles on it....ugh! Hopefully can find something within driving distance, if not.....guess I'll have to order online.

Joseph....would love to be able to put a 315 on the rear, but wouldnt that require spacers and/or shaving the irs bolt? I think 275 up front with 315 out back would look mean....what do u guys say?

Thanks again
Chris

mustangmuscle
07-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the link Craig K

mustangmuscle
07-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Joseph.....how do I get in touch with Blake at Walker Dyno....think he still sells the Nitto's? I checked online.....they were ~$170 ea. in the stock size.....pricey...?

Thanks,
Chris

Italian LX
07-04-2005, 12:13 PM
.....how do I get in touch with Blake at Walker Dyno....

http://www.walkerdynotune.com/

:nice:

mustangmuscle
07-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks Italian LX!

mustangmuscle
07-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Ok guys....about the Nittos....

From what I read the Nittos are as follows:

555 DR=drag radial
555 RII=road race
555 Ext. Perf=daily driver tire

Does this sound right?

And, seeing as I only got 10k mi out of the stock f1's....how would the Nittos hold up as far as daily driving, on a car that never sees the track?

Thanks again for all the info and help....would have never considered the Nittos without your recommendations.....

Sincerely,
Chris

banditmwp
07-04-2005, 09:18 PM
if you rotate your tires regularly, and stay out of the throttle for the most part, the 555's should be good for at least 25k miles. 555R and RII are probably good for 10-15k miles.

Italian LX
07-04-2005, 09:31 PM
From what I read the Nittos are as follows:

555 DR=drag radial
555 RII=road race
555 Ext. Perf=daily driver tire

Does this sound right?
Yep.

The RII has a stiffer sidewall that helps in cornering. However, the nitto's don't wrinkle like a slick does, so I'm guessing the only advantage of the 55R is that it may be a little lighter than the RII. I have always run the drag radials (before going to 555 at all 4 corners) but the next time I go with a sticky tire in the rear, I'll get the RII. QWKSNKE put them on his '93 after the blower install and they seem to do well... or at least as well as any street tire would do behind 500+ hp. :evil:

And, seeing as I only got 10k mi out of the stock f1's....how would the Nittos hold up as far as daily driving, on a car that never sees the track?
I've gotten up to 16K miles out of a set of 555R tires. But after 10K, I noticed a considerable reduction in traction. It seems that they may have a harder compound towards the middle to allow the last bit of tread to last longer. I don't know this for a fact; this is only what it seems like in the two sets I have run.

....would have never considered the Nittos without your recommendations.....
Hmmm, maybe qwiksnake.com should get some kick-bvack from Nitto. :hmm:

:D

mustangmuscle
07-05-2005, 07:04 AM
Thanks Italian LX and banditmwp.....great info guys.

You're right, Nitto should be paying all of you for these recommendations. These must be some amazing tires! Seems I will soon find out for myself!

Sincerely,
Chris

ps 20K mi out of a set of perf. tires would be awesome. Especially considering that I got just over 10Kmi out of the stock GY F1's. They ride pretty nice, but wear out so very fast, and dont hook at all.

mj_8
07-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Nitto 315s will look good on the rear but may bulge a tad.

mustangmuscle
07-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the reply and info MJ 8

"bulging a tad".....still safe for daily driving, or go down in size to be sure all is well?

Chris

QWKSNKE
07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
315 drag radial will look good. I think the 555 street tire in a 315 on your wheels would look good as well. Of course I run a 275 on a 7.5" wheel :D

Seriously I liked the RII's so well that i put them on the rear of my wife's 01 cobra and she seems pleased so far. (or at least she hasn't bitched yet :D ) Wear rating is shorter than a street tire but neither one of us put enough miles on them to matter.

mustangmuscle
07-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Ok guys.....tell me which way you would go....Here are my options...

These prices are for 4x275's from DTD. Guy there said anything wider than that is not safe on my stock wheel, so not going with larger out back...
also...free shipping

Goodyear GSD3 275's...$717, after mail-in rebate

Nitto 555 275's...........$644

Are the GY's worth the extra $73, or are the Nittos the best option here.....

I know GY makes a great tire, but from what you all have been saying the Nitto's are simply awesome....lemme hear from you, please!

Sincerely,
Chris

QWKSNKE
07-05-2005, 05:15 PM
the tire rep is suppose to tell you that ;) (about the tire size) My 93 is only suppose to run a 245 to be safe :D

I have run goodyears......Get the Nittos.

mustangmuscle
07-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the reply and info, Qwksnke!

Tons of 03-04 Cobra guys over at svtperformance.com rave on and on about the GY GSD3. But, am thinking most of the guys drive their cars to the limit, etc. My car is just a daily driver....not that I dont enjoy taking a spirited drive now and then..LOL. Wasnt even considering the GY's because of price, but theres the rebate and the DTD guy said theyre "champagne" compared to the "Miller Lite" Nittos.....nice analogy, huh...LOL.

So, you think going larger out back wouldnt be a problem, and how wide would you go?

Thanks again
Chris

TheJeanyus
07-05-2005, 07:20 PM
the tire rep is suppose to tell you that ;) (about the tire size) My 93 is only suppose to run a 245 to be safe :D

I have run goodyears......Get the Nittos.
:stupid: and :stupid: Those tires will be plenty safe. I've seen several cars with a 315 555R on a 9" wheel.

mustangmuscle
07-05-2005, 07:33 PM
ok.....I finally think its soaking into my dense noggin....Get the freakin Nittos... :yup:

Now, would you go wider in back? I love the way that stagger looks on these cars. But, will the tires last long enough for rotating to be an issue. I mean, the POS F1's barely lasted 10k mi. and I tend to baby the car....well, most of the time :roadrace: LOL.

If you would go wider......what size would you recommend? The tire tech guy obviously said not to do it....but, like Qwksnke said, he supposed to say that.

Dont want to run into issues with rubbing or interference with the infamous IRS bolt, and will be lowered on Race springs, whenever they get here..... ;)

Thanks again for all your info/insight, I do really appreciate it, and you all have helped more than I can say.

Sincerely,
Chris

TheJeanyus
07-05-2005, 07:41 PM
If you're going to run a drag radial in the back, go wider. If you're not, stick with the same size all around for rotating.

QWKSNKE
07-05-2005, 07:50 PM
If you're going to run a drag radial in the back, go wider. If you're not, stick with the same size all around for rotating.

I agree

mustangmuscle
07-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Not going to run a DR in back. Heard those things will get you killed quick trying to drive in any kind of rain whatsoever.....not something I want to chance. So looks like its going to be the Nitto's....275's all the way around..

Thanks again guys!

So, do you think I'm getting a decent deal on the Nitto's, or getting ripped...
$644 w/free shipping?

DTD guy said M/B at their local affiliate here in Auburn does it for $12/tire, and that they use the Hunter balancing machine...the best there is. He also strongly suggested getting the tires "right-matched" on the wheels....? Said it would ride so smooth......like butta....what do you think?

Sincerely,
Chris

Italian LX
07-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Not going to run a DR in back. Heard those things will get you killed quick trying to drive in any kind of rain whatsoever.....
:bs2:

Who ever has been passing around that rumor has never run a Nitto drag radial in the rain. :nono:

mustangmuscle
07-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Well, thats what I heard..... :shrug: Thanks for setting me straight!

Chris

Italian LX
07-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Well, thats what I heard..... :shrug: Thanks for setting me straight!

Chris
Both sets of Nitto drag radials I have had were excellent in wet weather. I will admit that they get squirrelly when they get down to the wear bars... but what tires don't. :shrug:

banditmwp
07-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Chris, not to make you yank your hair out anymore, but I am running the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on my '91 and I love 'em. So far I have about 10k miles on them with minimal wear and they still have as good traction as the day I got them. :nice:

mustangmuscle
07-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Matt!!! I just about had my mind all made up!!!! :banghead: I've heard the same things about the GSD3's. But, they are more money......would you say they were worth another $80 over the cost of the Nittos?

thanks
Chris

TheJeanyus
07-05-2005, 09:07 PM
I'd still get the Nittos, though the Goodyear looks like a great tire.

banditmwp
07-05-2005, 09:08 PM
:shrug: I've never owned any 555 Nitto's. But that should change soon for the '96. :evil:

banditmwp
07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
...although if I hadn't had the gift certificate to the Tire Rack, I would have gotten NT555's hands down. :yup:

Craig K.
07-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Chris,

Just remember tires are a wear out item.
If you buy a set and don't like them, in 20k miles or so you'll need to get ride of them and buy something else.

I have run GSD2's (older D3's) on my 85 GT that I use to race, I used these for running in the rain, they were decent tires, once I ran them on a dry track and they did o.k.. I actually have on D3, as one of my D2's got trashed by a guy dismounting my tires.

I drive a lot, about 20k + a year, I would not want to spend $700 on tires, I would buy a cheaper tire and try it out.
Also based off of the milage I drive, I would not buy a stagered set.

SphyNxXx
07-06-2005, 07:25 AM
I would say the GSD3s are the better tire out of those two choices. C5 guys really like them as an upgrade from the stock Goodyear runflats, but they can be a little pricey. Another option, if your on a budget, is the Falken GR-Beta FK451s. I recently got them on my car. They do great for traction, but only downside is the sidewalls are a little weak and they tend to flex some when making moves such as emergency lane changes on the interstate. I got (2) 245/45-17 and (2)275/40-18 installed at a local shop here in Clanton for around $625.

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Craig K and SphynXxX...thanks for the replies and info.
Yes, the GY's are very pricey. I didnt want to spend that kind of money on tires. The guy at DTD spoke very highly of the Falkens you mentioned...said they were a great tire, but he reiterated what you said about the sidewalls. Also, he mentioned that if they are not rotated religiously, the tend to get really noisy.....

Looks like I'm going with the Nitto's!!

I want to thank everyone for the great info, and help on this. You guys are the best. Hope to meet all of you soon!

Sincerely,
Chris

SphyNxXx
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Craig K and SphynXxX...thanks for the replies and info.
Yes, the GY's are very pricey. I didnt want to spend that kind of money on tires. The guy at DTD spoke very highly of the Falkens you mentioned...said they were a great tire, but he reiterated what you said about the sidewalls. Also, he mentioned that if they are not rotated religiously, the tend to get really noisy.....

Looks like I'm going with the Nitto's!!

I want to thank everyone for the great info, and help on this. You guys are the best. Hope to meet all of you soon!

Sincerely,
Chris

Well, when you have 17s on the front, and 18s on the back with directional tires, its kinda hard to rotate :baby:

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 07:16 PM
New development......
The tire salesman just cut another $50 off the price of the GY GS-D3's. Man, he must have stock in that company or something....LOL. He's really pushing these things hard. Says the Nittos arent even in the same league as the GY's...not even close....its a "no-brainer", etc......

So heres the latest, greatest deal being offered....

For 4 new 275's w/free shipping

GY GS-D3 $667
or
Nitto 555 (non-DR) $594

I thought this whole thing was over and done with, already....then he goes and cuts the price on the damned GY's.

So, what do you think? Stay with the Nitto's or pay the extra $73 and get the GS-D3's?

Thanks again to everyone!
Chris

Sendero
07-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Just my general opinion of tire companies (I have no tech on the GY's but I do LOVE my Nitto's)

Goodyear = :notnice:

Nitto = :banana2:

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the reply and info, Sendero!
I have no tech on either brand of tire. But, have 'heard' nothing but great things about both.
The salesman made it seem like with the discount, the GY's were the 'obvious' choice. The phrase "no-brainer" was used repeatedly, etc. I just dont have any experience with either one. Money doesnt grow on trees, and $70+ is nothing to sneeze at.....

The guy was trying to help me understand what kind of difference he was describing between the tires by using this analogy....
GY GS-D3 = Moet Champagne
Nitto 555's = Miller Lite

Maybe I should have told him how much I hate champagne...LOL? I know most folks love the stuff, but I'd rather dehydrate to death...LOL

QWKSNKE
07-06-2005, 07:41 PM
New development......
The tire salesman just cut another $50 off the price of the GY GS-D3's. Man, he must have stock in that company or something....LOL. He's really pushing these things hard. Says the Nittos arent even in the same league as the GY's...not even close....its a "no-brainer", etc......

So heres the latest, greatest deal being offered....

For 4 new 275's w/free shipping

GY GS-D3 $667
or
Nitto 555 (non-DR) $594

I thought this whole thing was over and done with, already....then he goes and cuts the price on the damned GY's.

So, what do you think? Stay with the Nitto's or pay the extra $73 and get the GS-D3's?

Thanks again to everyone!
Chris

Does saving almost a 100 bucks not motivate you?

You have 3 of us here that run Nitto's and are very happy. You have 2 of the 3 that would pretty much pick the Nitto over any tire made as far as street tires go.

QWKSNKE
07-06-2005, 07:42 PM
I would like to add that the 3 of us running the Nitto prefer either the drag radial or RII over the street tire on the rear.

Craig K.
07-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Tell him to sell tham at the same price, then you'll get the GY's.

Or you can save the $70 and pay for the Nitto's to be mounted.

How much do you drive per year?

TheJeanyus
07-06-2005, 08:11 PM
:stupid: $100 goes a pretty good ways toward another mod.

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 08:21 PM

You have 3 of us here that run Nitto's and are very happy. You have 2 of the 3 that would pretty much pick the Nitto over any tire made as far as street tires go.

Of course, saving any money, however possible, always motivates me. I work too damned hard for my $$

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
I would like to add that the 3 of us running the Nitto prefer either the drag radial or RII over the street tire on the rear.

Ok, so how well would the Nitto 555 "street tire" stack up?

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Tell him to sell tham at the same price, then you'll get the GY's.

Or you can save the $70 and pay for the Nitto's to be mounted.

How much do you drive per year?
Dude, you a mind reader, or what?
Exactly what I was going to say to him..... :metal:

I drive the car about 8-9k mi/yr

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 08:25 PM
:stupid: $100 goes a pretty good ways toward another mod.

Joseph.....there you go....reading my mind, too
Was thinking about that also.....saving money on one mod to help finance the next.....priceless!

Thanks!

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Guys.....again.....cant begin to tell you how invaluable all your replies and info are!
I hate being a huge TOOL and PITA about this crap, but have been down this road before and wound up with a very expensive set of tires that werent worth a chit.. and had to live with them, because I couldnt afford to not use them.....Simply dont want to relive that nightmare again.

I do trust what you are all saying.....the Nitto's are a damned FINE tire!!. So, please dont think I'm being disrespectful with regards to the info you all are giving me....Its the best and you guys are awesome for being so willing to help..
Big THANKS to all!

Sincerely,
Chris

Ponygirl
07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Just my general opinion of tire companies (I have no tech on the GY's but I do LOVE my Nitto's)

Goodyear = :notnice:

Nitto = :banana2:
:werd: I gave mine a workout in flooded streets today and they were :nice:

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 08:32 PM
:werd: I gave mine a workout in flooded streets today and they were :nice:

Ponygirl.....thanks for the reply and info! I appreciate it!

Chris

Sendero
07-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Guys.....again.....cant begin to tell you how invaluable all your replies and info are!
I hate being a huge TOOL and PITA about this crap, but have been down this road before and wound up with a very expensive set of tires that werent worth a chit.. and had to live with them, because I couldnt afford to not use them.....Simply dont want to relive that nightmare again.

I do trust what you are all saying.....the Nitto's are a damned FINE tire!!. So, please dont think I'm being disrespectful with regards to the info you all are giving me....Its the best and you guys are awesome for being so willing to help..
Big THANKS to all!

Sincerely,
Chris

Hey, don't think we all don't do the exact same things during conversations about any mod/upgrade/advice. The only stupid question is the one not asked! :nice:

mustangmuscle
07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Hey, don't think we all don't do the exact same things during conversations about any mod/upgrade/advice. The only stupid question is the one not asked! :nice:

Well....was beginning to wonder...sorta appeared as though I was pissing some off, etc. Not my intention.....

Thanks Sendero....means alot, man
Chris

TheJeanyus
07-06-2005, 08:48 PM
You're not pissing anyone off. We all understand how you feel. No one here has enough money to throw it around without making sure they get the best parts/tires/whatever per dollar. I hope you're happy with whatever tire you decide to spend your hard-earned cash on. :nice:

QWKSNKE
07-06-2005, 08:52 PM
You're not pissing anyone off. We all understand how you feel. No one here has enough money to throw it around without making sure they get the best parts/tires/whatever per dollar. I hope you're happy with whatever tire you decide to spend your hard-earned cash on. :nice:

:werd:

mustangmuscle
07-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply, Joseph....

Sincerely,
Chris

banditmwp
07-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Chris, is the $667 for the Goodyears after the mail in rebate? If so, I'd save the $75 and get the Nittos as well. :yup:

mustangmuscle
07-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Big thanks to everyone that posted replies. Learned alot about tires, etc. You all are great for helping me out. I do appreciate it, and hope to maybe be able to repay the favor.....

Sincerely,
Chris

mj_8
07-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reply and info MJ 8

"bulging a tad".....still safe for daily driving, or go down in size to be sure all is well?

Chris

I don't think saftey would be an issue at all you would be fine. I think it's a judgement call for sure whatever your comfortable with. There are thousands of terminator owners running this setup happily.

mustangmuscle
07-11-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't think saftey would be an issue at all you would be fine. I think it's a judgement call for sure whatever your comfortable with. There are thousands of terminator owners running this setup happily.

Thanks mj 8. I do appreciate your reply and info

Chris

QWKSNKE
07-11-2005, 08:51 PM

I agree :nice:

mj_8
07-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks mj 8. I do appreciate your reply and info

Chris

No sweat...good luck with whatever you choose.

MJ

mustangmuscle
07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
No sweat...good luck with whatever you choose.

MJ

I do really appreciate your info/opinions, etc....as I do all of the folks who offered their help!

Sincerely,
Chris

redhorse
07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Any help or advice would be appreciated. How do the Nittos compare to the BF Goodrich G-Force tires?

TheJeanyus
07-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Any help or advice would be appreciated. How do the Nittos compare to the BF Goodrich G-Force tires?
They last MUCH longer and are quite a bit cheaper IIRC.

redhorse
07-12-2005, 02:46 PM
The Nittos are cheaper is what you are saying.

QWKSNKE
07-12-2005, 03:05 PM

My experience is with the BFG KDWS and the nitto 555's grip a lot better

redhorse
07-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Maybe a dumb quesion now. Is it a domestic or foreign tire? Or is it a tire made by one of the major tire makers Goodyear Firestone etc.

QWKSNKE
07-12-2005, 04:04 PM
foreign

TheJeanyus
07-12-2005, 04:36 PM
The Nittos are cheaper is what you are saying.
Yeah, and from what I've read it's just as good of a tire if not better.

banditmwp
07-12-2005, 06:25 PM
foreign
:yup:

Made by Toyo Tire from Japan. I think you would be much happier with the Nitto's for

A. Grip
B. Ride Quality
C. Treadwear
D. Road Noise

Everything I read about the G-Force TA's had too many complaints in all four categories for the price you pay. :notnice: