PDA

View Full Version : talk me out of AFR165's

94five0
07-04-2005, 08:55 PM
i'm bout ready to finish my top end... gimmie pros.(self explanatory :D cons, -clearance probs with hyper-pistons.. good cam for street use... i've been leanin towards some used TW heads, but i've heard they have clearance probs with h pistons..or is this a myth?

anything to be said of the 185's vs the 165?

NightHawk756
07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Well, as far as the TW's go, you'll be ok depending on what type of cam you plan on running. I think Lee or Brian can tell you the cut off on lift for using TW's and stock hyperpathetics.

I can't comment with personal experience on the AFR's, but they're very good heads. I suggest the 165's though unless you plan on forced induction in the future. ;)

banditmwp
07-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I'll talk you out of 'em...just give me the $1500 and I'll be your best friend for life. :D

dylan020
07-04-2005, 09:19 PM
:lol:

QWKSNKE
07-04-2005, 10:12 PM
I want to say that .525 is the maximum safe lift you can go with the stock pistons i when using the tw heads.

I am please with my 165's. Only downfall that I have found is that when using AFM cams you HAVE to go with a stout'r spring than what AFR has to offer because of the fast ramp speed that most AFM cams carry (or at least their blower cams) The 165 added 40 rwhp over my GT40's that came on the cobra. Nice driveability also. No major low end loss.

Any aftermarket aluminmum head is going offer considerable power over what you have now. Just make sure you get the right cam and intake so that everything is close as possible to matching powerbands.

I do recommend a custom cam when you are ready for a cam swap

Wicked
07-05-2005, 06:49 AM
My friend that bought my old motor from my '89 put TW heads, GT40 tubular intake, and E303 with 1.6 rockers and made 297rwhp and 327rwtq. I consider those great numbers especially for such a mild setup. I think its very well matched.

edit: I should add I am just speaking for the TW heads...not trying to talk you out of AFR's. If I was to build another 5.0, I would consider the TW and AFR 165 for a 302/306.

Craig K.
07-05-2005, 07:46 AM
I have a friend at work who is swapping to 165's this week from stock.
He has a 89 LX with a ported lower, and a few minor bolt on's. I will give you the low down when I talk to him on Monday next week.
Also, I tried to talk him into a dyno pull before / after, but he ran out of time.

94five0
07-13-2005, 09:54 PM
yup fer the money, the AFR's seem pretty sweet. ..right now i'm runnin a prof prod. typhoon upper and lower, 65mm tb, bbk cai..is the ed curtis reely that much noticeable over a mild race cam or the alphabet cams?.. what about valve sizes? bigger/smaller? clearance probs w/ the piston surface..?

tryin to get a list of everything i'm gonna need. and get a better idea of what i'm lookin at. Thanx.

ujslost
07-14-2005, 03:41 PM
AFR 165s are kick ass IMO.
I had a set of TW and had a bad experience with them.
The early models had bad design with the valve guides. Seems some jerk off sold me a set and well they shit all over my short block.
I know alot of ppl like TW, and I did too while mine were actually working, they were great. But I will NEVER own another set of TW again.
I think that AFR is the best out of the box designed head around. You should call AFR and Trickflow both and get a techs advice on the clearance issues, and what size cams you could use and or what they recommend for your set up. But they will probly tell ya what they told me, that you need to personally do a piston to valve clearance check(which I also advise).

coupe
07-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Trick Flows early heads (early 90's) had a less-desirable bronze for their guides...thus they would smoke prematurely and even fail if not checked. Problem has been remedied and the other head companies have learned from it. You're safe any way nowadays.

As for AFR and Trick Flow: they are not the only manuf. of good heads out there. Look at the magazines...there's a company offering the GT40 Y-303's at right around $700. That's a heck of a deal for a great street head and with a little cleanup work before install, they will flow all you ever need. Also check out the edelbrock stuff, Holley, Brodix, etc...they all have a street head available & most are less money than AFR's. But if you're dead-set on AFR's...I'd do the 185's. 185cc is not too big for a modified 302 with a good intake manifold.

0.02 :D

QWKSNKE
07-14-2005, 06:46 PM
you would have to give him a lot of free 'clean-up' labor to make the y's flow comparable to the AFR 165's.

ujslost
07-14-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree there LEE

Shankin
07-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Put some afr 185s and a steeda cam in it for driveability. i cant remember the nymber but i think its a 19. that combo makes 318 to the tires on my wifes car with a rpm2 intake.