PDA

View Full Version : oil filter relocation

Shorty
07-06-2005, 06:51 PM
i have a relocation kit for the oil filter. i was having a discussion today with a guy at work. his thoughts were that the extra plumbing could cause a pressure drop. my thoughts are, that once the system is filed with oil then pressure should remain the same even tho there is slightly more volume.

FYI- the hoses are only 30" each so that would be the only real increase anywhere.

slvrbullit
07-06-2005, 06:58 PM
the only time you would get a pressure drop is if there is a hole in the line somwhere.

Sendero
07-06-2005, 07:28 PM
As long as you have enough oil in the pan, you can think of it as a hydrualic system.

QWKSNKE
07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
I agree with Nathan and Tommy.

FWIW. My supercharger didn't cause a pressure drop.

Craig K.
07-06-2005, 08:00 PM
You shouldn't have any problems.

I run a high volume, stock pressure pump, along with a filter relocation, front mounted oil cooler, and a 31/2 qrt Accusump for a total of just under 10 qrt's. and I never have had a low pressure issue.
Keep in mind that I have a very tightly clearanced bottom end, and see 80 psi at cold idle, and 70-75 at hot idle.

TheJeanyus
07-06-2005, 08:10 PM
my thoughts are, that once the system is filed with oil then pressure should remain the same even tho there is slightly more volume.
:yup:

Shorty
07-06-2005, 09:50 PM
:nice: exactly what i thought. i will definitely be debating him on this again tomorrow. sometimes people just dont listen. :D

Craig--where did you mount your filter at? also did you filter before or after the cooler.

Craig K.
07-07-2005, 07:21 AM
:nice: exactly what i thought. i will definitely be debating him on this again tomorrow. sometimes people just dont listen. :D

Craig--where did you mount your filter at? also did you filter before or after the cooler.

As far as the debate goes, kindly remind him that fluids are not compressable, so therfore once you have pressure, that pressure should remain constant, until the system heats up, then you'll have a pressure drop.

Always filter before a cooler, the filter slows the liquid slightly giving it more time in the cooler (in theroy), also it keeps containiments out of the cooler.

I mounted mine (a Moroso cast aluminum filter housing) on the left front frame rail, near the sway bar mount. I had drilled two holes into flange where the metal overlaps and is spot welded.

Are you thinking of running a cooler also?

Shorty
07-07-2005, 08:31 PM
As far as the debate goes, kindly remind him that fluids are not compressable, so therfore once you have pressure, that pressure should remain constant, until the system heats up, then you'll have a pressure drop.

excellent wording. :nice:

Always filter before a cooler, the filter slows the liquid slightly giving it more time in the cooler (in theroy), also it keeps containiments out of the cooler.

makes sense.

I mounted mine (a Moroso cast aluminum filter housing) on the left front frame rail, near the sway bar mount. I had drilled two holes into flange where the metal overlaps and is spot welded.

Are you thinking of running a cooler also?

that is where i was looking at putting mine. i had considered running a cooler, any recommendations. advice you would like to share. :D

Craig K.
07-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Check out Summit, they have 2 different kits, one is from Ford, also Steeda has one, as well as Canton.

They are all nice, and each have different price ranges. The Canton seems the nicest with braded lines etc... but it also cost more.

For mine I had bought a semi generic adaptor which mounts to the block, the Moroso relocation filter head, a generic cooler from an oval track company, and a bunch of braided lines and fittings, I also have a Canton Accusump, and a check valve. All told mine cost about $500 or so.

Shorty
07-08-2005, 02:34 PM
i am definetely going to look into it later. i will just be happy to get it running, i wouldnt even care if it had cool A/C at this point, let alone a oil cooler. :D

Disney Lincoln
07-11-2005, 05:19 PM
I am using the Summit "Dual cooler" on my car. It has the oil cooler and tranny cooler together. I mounted my oil lifter on the pass. side frame rail where the emmissions canister used to be. When you install one, remember that the oil goes IN the OUTSIDE of the filter and comes OUT of the CENTER. VEry important to remember when you plumb it in.

Shorty
07-12-2005, 01:00 PM
I am using the Summit "Dual cooler" on my car. It has the oil cooler and tranny cooler together. I mounted my oil lifter on the pass. side frame rail where the emmissions canister used to be. When you install one, remember that the oil goes IN the OUTSIDE of the filter and comes OUT of the CENTER. VEry important to remember when you plumb it in.

:yup: i will likely check that connetion 50 times before i decide it is right. of course the remote kit will likely sit in the garage for months just like the optima did (actually the optima is still just sitting). :notnice: