PDA

View Full Version : '03 Mustang GT/ ---TOPIC SPLIT---

Wicked
07-12-2005, 04:39 PM
No graphs to post. Dynoed at Walker Dyno in Trussville.
250.8 rwhp
286.8 rwtq

The car has a K&N cold air kit with filter, March underdrive pullies, MAC prochamber and MAC exhaust. Computer not touched yet. No chip

Doug 904 can get you a chip but I'd wait til you have more mods.

redhorse
07-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Wicked - What else would you suggest? This is all new to me and I take any input I can get.

TheJeanyus
07-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Gears, sub frame connectors, and drag radials would be my recommendations for next mods.

M1Speed
07-12-2005, 07:36 PM
it really depends what you want out of your car(drag or handling). But tires and subs are a good start.

redhorse
07-13-2005, 11:15 AM
If the 373 gears are put in, what has to be done to the computer if anything? I realize that it will effect torque but what effect will it have on horsepower?

Disney Lincoln
07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Actual engine output will not be changed, but you are giving the engine a mechanical advatage over the weight of the car. It will be easier to get hte car moving with steeper gears.

You will need either a Dallas Mustang SpeedCal or a chip or flash to the ECU to correct teh speedo.

QWKSNKE
07-13-2005, 02:28 PM
If the 373 gears are put in, what has to be done to the computer if anything?

Doug904 on here can help you with a computer flash that will fix your speedo. Of course he will also give you a little more power too :nice:

Wicked
07-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Gears, sub frame connectors, and drag radials would be my recommendations for next mods.

I would also say definitely gears....most will say 4.10's if your staying NA.
Drag radials are great for grip but can also get to be a pain because they wear so fast if you drive the car a lot. I have put three sets on my car in less than three years at about 10000 miles a set.

I didn't have one on my 02GT but an upgraded plenum would be good for a few ponies as well.

TheJeanyus
07-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Actual engine output will not be changed, but you are giving the engine a mechanical advatage over the weight of the car. It will be easier to get hte car moving with steeper gears.

You will need either a Dallas Mustang SpeedCal or a chip or flash to the ECU to correct teh speedo.
:yup: He's correct.

uvbnhad
07-13-2005, 09:00 PM
:yup: He's correct.
*sigh* so much for the days of swapping out a $20 speedo gear...:(

EDIT: Personally, I'm against the SpeedCals. Not necessarily because I think they are bad, I just can't rationalize spending $99-120 for it when I can spend $300 and fix my speedo, MAF curve, permanently kill MIL, gain horsepower, gain torque, etc., etc. I guess it's a matter of opinion. If you aren't going to ever use an EEC modification the SpeedCal is the way to go, otherwise, I think you are better suited for the flasher.

TheJeanyus
07-13-2005, 09:03 PM
*sigh* so much for the days of swapping out a $20 speedo gear...:(

EDIT: Personally, I'm against the SpeedCals. Not necessarily because I think they are bad, I just can't rationalize spending $99-120 for it when I can spend $300 and fix my speedo, MAF curve, permanently kill MIL, gain horsepower, gain torque, etc., etc. I guess it's a matter of opinion. If you aren't going to ever use an EEC modification the SpeedCal is the way to go, otherwise, I think you are better suited for the flasher.
:agree:

redhorse
07-13-2005, 09:16 PM
The language is still all new and I feel like a sponge learning and trying to sort the input on things. Lots of stuff to learn but enjoy hearing you guys give input to the rookie.

The Rock 326
07-13-2005, 10:30 PM
I have exhaust,cold air,pullies, with a C&L Plenum, and TB(70mm), and a tune by Bamachips. my #'s were 262/301. Dunno if that helps. I say go for the tune, it will pick up with the mods you have already.

1sicklx
07-18-2005, 07:06 PM
I have exhaust,cold air,pullies, with a C&L Plenum, and TB(70mm), and a tune by Bamachips. my #'s were 262/301. Dunno if that helps. I say go for the tune, it will pick up with the mods you have already.

I agree, the SCT chip from BamaChips was money well spent ...

I would recommend SCT chip, 3.73 gears, and better tires

for suspension (depending on what you're looking for) .. I'd go with the Kenny Brown Track Kit and subframes(you can add the the extreme matrix down the road) this will give you AWESOME corner handling.

joker
07-18-2005, 11:10 PM
:bricks:

99LS1
07-19-2005, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't tell someone new to cars to put nitrous on it. He'd probably be happy w/ the gears & slicks and figuring out how to drive.

Italian LX
07-19-2005, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't tell someone new to cars to put nitrous on it.
I would have to agree. Hell, I've been racing for 10 years now and still haven't used nitrous.

You've got to crawl before you walk. . . but if you use nitrous improperly, be prepared to walk everywhere you go. :bomb:

joker
07-19-2005, 08:32 AM

joker
07-19-2005, 08:33 AM
I would have to agree. Hell, I've been racing for 10 years now and still haven't used nitrous.
You should hook that kit up then, it is some seriously fun stuff. :jester:

joker
07-19-2005, 08:34 AM

99LS1
07-19-2005, 11:16 AM
He barely understands the mod order for a mustang. That alone tells me he won't be ready for nitrous anytime soon.

He probably won't be able to hook the power he does have.

It is just like any other power adder. You can blow your engine if you don't fully understand how it works.

Learn to walk before you run. How about trying to get the best time you can before slapping a bunch of parts on it.

joker
07-19-2005, 08:58 PM

TheJeanyus
07-19-2005, 09:01 PM
I vote for a Bullitt intake before the spray. Aluminum crossover or not, plastic intakes still bother me.

Italian LX
07-19-2005, 09:38 PM
You can blow up a stock engine just as easily, given the right driving style.
:bs2:
I highly disagree with this statement. There is a lot less forgiveness and time to react with a forced induction motor. Also, a lean condition in an N/A car means really white spark plugs... the same thing in a nitrous or blown car means time to buy a new short block.

I realy hope your just being stubborn and don't really believe this. Hell, I'll give you 10 minutes in my coupe and as long as you don't hold it at one RPM and don't take it above 6500 RPM, I bet you couldn't blow it. Ask any of the supercharged guys here if they would give you that same challenge.

TheJeanyus
07-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Ask any of the supercharged guys here if they would give you that same challenge.
:nono: And my car is the pansy of the S/C group.

EZ SPEED
07-20-2005, 03:04 AM
:bs2:
I highly disagree with this statement. There is a lot less forgiveness and time to react with a forced induction motor. Also, a lean condition in an N/A car means really white spark plugs... the same thing in a nitrous or blown car means time to buy a new short block.

I realy hope your just being stubborn and don't really believe this. Hell, I'll give you 10 minutes in my coupe and as long as you don't hold it at one RPM and don't take it above 6500 RPM, I bet you couldn't blow it. Ask any of the supercharged guys here if they would give you that same challenge.

Brian is 100% Correct :yup:

99LS1
07-20-2005, 06:52 AM
:nono: You got to be kidding. It takes a real genius to blow up a completely stock motor. It's not that easy.

Pissing in the wind or not, if you can't take your car down the track in stock form and get a decent time out of it; what makes you think throwing money at it is going to fix a driving problem?

There is a logical order in how you mod most cars. Nitrous is not for complete beginners. When you're trying to add that much hp over stock, nasty things can and do happen. Granted if you know what you're doing they probably won't, but he doesn't.

joker
07-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Hell, I'll give you 10 minutes in my coupe and as long as you don't hold it at one RPM and don't take it above 6500 RPM, I bet you couldn't blow it. Ask any of the supercharged guys here if they would give you that same challenge.

joker
07-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Sorry, you guys are right, I am wrong, please disregard any statement I have made on here as I am sure it is incorrect.

ChipR4cam
07-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Sorry, you guys are right, I am wrong, please disregard any statement I have made on here as I am sure it is incorrect.

I didn't know opinions could be incorrect.:think:

M1Speed
07-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Pissing in the wind or not, if you can't take your car down the track in stock form and get a decent time out of it; what makes you think throwing money at it is going to fix a driving problem?

:werd: the only thing i have done as far as better times down a track is tires. Before i start any power adders i need to learn my car in and out for every element.

QWKSNKE
07-20-2005, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't tell someone new to cars to put nitrous on it. He'd probably be happy w/ the gears & slicks and figuring out how to drive.

It depends. As long as they research it and understand how it works or ask people that have used it. Then no big deal. Whether you are new to cars or not when you step across the line to any type of power adder it will be new. Got news for everybody that don't know, figuring out how to drive 1 setup goes completely out the window on other setups

Now, I don't know what Joker posted or why it was edited but I wouldn't recommend putting ANY new part on a car not knowing what it does or how it affects the car. I studied nitrous in books and online for at least a month or so before buying and installing the kit on my car. Also read a lot and researched during the time the Procharger was bought and installed.

Like Joker said above, Nitrous is fun as hell. (but then any poweradder that gives you a significant amount of power and torque is fun)

Shorty
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
I would recommend SCT chip, 3.73 gears, and better tires

Mod Motor = 4:10's you guys have the range might as well use it. :D :roadrace:

99LS1
07-20-2005, 03:44 PM
It depends. As long as they research it and understand how it works or ask people that have used it. Then no big deal. Whether you are new to cars or not when you step across the line to any type of power adder it will be new. Got news for everybody that don't know, figuring out how to drive 1 setup goes completely out the window on other setups

Now, I don't know what Joker posted or why it was edited but I wouldn't recommend putting ANY new part on a car not knowing what it does or how it affects the car. I studied nitrous in books and online for at least a month or so before buying and installing the kit on my car. Also read a lot and researched during the time the Procharger was bought and installed.

Like Joker said above, Nitrous is fun as hell. (but then any poweradder that gives you a significant amount of power and torque is fun)

I agree, someone new to cars = someone who hasn't researched nitrous.

If he knew about his car & mods & was fairly comfortable with it, then it's completely different than what we are talking about.

Wicked
07-20-2005, 05:49 PM

You've got to crawl before you walk. . . but if you use nitrous improperly, be prepared to walk everywhere you go. :bomb:

:werd:

M1Speed
07-20-2005, 08:07 PM
If he knew about his car & mods & was fairly comfortable with it, then it's completely different than what we are talking about.

:werd: Knowing your car then doing mods is one thing. Not knowing your car and doing a bunch of mods at once, is not a good thing. Yeah the car will be a monster but you want know what is helping what and what is not working with something else.