PDA

View Full Version : Any cam idea's ?

SNK-BIT
07-13-2005, 10:13 PM
:dunno: First post..hope i'm in the right area.
I just bought a close to "stock" 93 Cobra and was wondering what would be the best cam for it. I know this is kind of a "loaded" question but here is where the car is and where i want it to be. As far as I know the longblock is stock. I've added a 180 degree thermostat, 13 degrees timing, BBK fenderwell cold air intake. The car was bought with FRP shorty headers, Bassani (cat's still in) X-pipe, and a Flowmaster 2 chamber cat-back system already installed. I've dyno'd (Dynojet) this combo (AF@11.3) at 242RWHP@5000 and 284RWTQ@4100. I don't really care to turn the motor past 6000rpm. I would like to keep it emission legal (cheater cam?) and was thinking of the (here it comes) E303 cam. I hear "old school" when this cam is brought up and others say "it still makes power." I'm being advised to use AFM, STEEDA, or a COMP cams instead. Are any of these other cams "e" legal? Is there something "wrong" with the FRP cams? I would like to squeeze approx 350rwhp by going the "na" route. I know thats a tall order but think it can be done. I am planing on adding a few more mods and a set of #1402 AFR165's also which are "e" legal. Any and all ideas entertained!

TheJeanyus
07-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the board. :jeanyus:

It'll take a lot more than AFR 165s and an E came to make 350 rwhp. There is nothing wrong with an E cam or any of the alphabet cams for that matter, but you'll need more heads and cam and probably intake to reach 350 rwhp.

Disney Lincoln
07-13-2005, 11:54 PM
XE270 and 165's will maek over 300.

EZ SPEED
07-14-2005, 03:58 AM
:welcome:

QWKSNKE
07-14-2005, 05:00 AM
I just bought a close to "stock" 93 Cobra and was wondering what would be the best cam for it. I know this is kind of a "loaded" question but here is where the car is and where i want it to be. As far as I know the longblock is stock. I've added a 180 degree thermostat, 13 degrees timing, BBK fenderwell cold air intake. The car was bought with FRP shorty headers, Bassani (cat's still in) X-pipe, and a Flowmaster 2 chamber cat-back system already installed. I've dyno'd (Dynojet) this combo (AF@11.3) at 242RWHP@5000 and 284RWTQ@4100. I don't really care to turn the motor past 6000rpm. I would like to keep it emission legal (cheater cam?) and was thinking of the (here it comes) E303 cam. I hear "old school" when this cam is brought up and others say "it still makes power." I'm being advised to use AFM, STEEDA, or a COMP cams instead. Are any of these other cams "e" legal? Is there something "wrong" with the FRP cams? I would like to squeeze approx 350rwhp by going the "na" route. I know thats a tall order but think it can be done. I am planing on adding a few more mods and a set of #1402 AFR165's also which are "e" legal. Any and all ideas entertained!

biggest thing that is going to hurt you is retaining legal emissions.

Nothing really wrong with alphabet cams but you will make more power with a custom cam.

Italian LX
07-14-2005, 05:02 AM
Welcome to the board. :wave:

It'll take a lot more than AFR 165s and an E came to make 350 rwhp. There is nothing wrong with an E cam or any of the alphabet cams for that matter, but you'll need more heads and cam and probably intake to reach 350 rwhp.
:agree:

I would like to squeeze approx 350rwhp by going the "na" route. I know thats a tall order but think it can be done.
That's a very tall order.... even without your goal to keep it emissions legal. If you want an emission legal N/A 302, I wouldn't count on breaking 300rwhp without a power adder -- it just ain't going to happen.

DSkeet
07-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the board, lots of nice and helpful people here!

qkjuicedpony
07-14-2005, 09:30 AM
here are a few combo's for you both proven and daily driven

stock shortblock
afr 185's
f303 cam
edelbrock performer rpm II
30 lb injectors
70mm throtte body
76mm mass air
longtubes
x pipe
mac catback
5 speed and 4.30's
car has a/c and all options and makes 333rwhp as it sits today

another combo

stock shortblock
brodix st5.0 heads
f303 cam
holley systemax intake and the same fuel parts as above system

also made 332 rwhp through a 5 speed

coupe
07-14-2005, 11:21 AM
With your 1.7RR's...
How 'bout .513 Intake, .529 Exhaust with a 276º/282º split on a 112º LSA?
(would be .483/.498 with 1.6 RR)

And it's emissions legal.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=237629&prmenbr=361

And the price is right too. It could do 300, but probably not 350.

ujslost
07-14-2005, 03:34 PM
I dont know if the trickflow cams are emissions legal, but they are cheap and IMO better than the alphabet cams. Also the stock cam is still a very good cam really.
BTW not knocking anyones info in the AFR 165s, but I have a buddy has a coupe with box stock AFR 165s , trickflow intake, longtube headers,x pipe, flowmasters. 70mm TB and spacer, 24lb injectors and the rest is STOCK, stock 302 bore,STOCK cam and rotating assembly. NATURALLY ASPIRATED!
And as far as horsepower it made i have no clue, but It ran 12.20s on a tire.
Call BS if ya want (because alot of ppl have) but its the damn truth. And I know some of ya have seen it at steele.
My point, I think AFR 165s are a damn good head.

coupe
07-14-2005, 06:31 PM
That's believable. It's got more intake and exhaust than mine for sure.
I just need to dyno mine as a reference here I guess.
By the way...TFS cams aren't 50 state legal...just in Alabama ;)

But I stand by the Crane cam above. It is a nice emissions-legal cam with 1400-5400 RPM range; that's pretty broad. Go for it!

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Wow thats some good info. Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll check out some of the suggested parts but it looks like the consensus is "maybe" 300rwhp if I go the smog legal route is that correct? I assumed as long as this little motor has been around (and todays technology) that someone had been there done that. Bummer for me as I really want my cake and eat it to. If I was to stray a "little" what would the suggestions be?

QWKSNKE
07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
My car when it was N/A.

Full weight 93 cobra (3400#)

FRPP 'B' cam, 1.7 rockers, AFR 165 heads, 3.73 gears, FRPP headers, off-road pipe, and slicks put down 295 rwhp/ 313 torque. Went 12.8 @108 I believe with a 1.7 60ft.

you can go in the dyno forum and see what different combinations have done :nice:

Wicked
07-14-2005, 07:30 PM
An E Cam(with 1.6 rockers) will do 300rwhp. My friend's did it with a low mileage 306, TFS Twisted Wedge heads, GT40 Tubular intake, shorty headers, hedman offroad X pipe, and other supporting goodies.

350rwhp on a emissions legal 5.0 NA combo is nearly impossible...but I don't necessarily know what combos would be "e" legal. I would think AFR 185's, lots of cam, lots of intake and about 7000rpm and you could do it.

ujslost
07-14-2005, 07:55 PM
WHY would you want to keep it emissions legal anyhow?

Italian LX
07-14-2005, 08:06 PM
It's good for the environment? :shrug:

:D

ujslost
07-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Well so is riding a bicycle, but our asses, arent riding those around are we!

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Ok starting from the top ...

Welcome to the board. :jeanyus:

Thank you for the welcome. More heads as in AFR 185's? More cam as in more lift and duration? Lower, upper or both on the intake? This also brings the question up as to what the stock computer can handle cam wise. I've heard the maker\breaker is the lobe separation? It looks like I "might" get 300rwhp with "e" legal ("e" legal meaning "emissions" legal) parts but getting the other 50rwhp is going to take me out of the "e" legal parts category? Doesn't the "Cobra" parts help in the scheme of things? Please educate me.

Note..how do I insert multiple quotes?

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:24 PM
XE270 and 165's will maek over 300.

Is this a Comp cam and is it "e" legal? Do you have a part #?

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
:welcome:

Thanks .. seems to be lots of knowledgeable folks here!

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:28 PM
biggest thing that is going to hurt you is retaining legal emissions.

Nothing really wrong with alphabet cams but you will make more power with a custom cam.

Are you talking about getting with a Comp, Crane, Lunati tech etc and having them grind me something legal? Would this get me what I want?

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the board. :wave:

:agree:

That's a very tall order.... even without your goal to keep it emissions legal. If you want an emission legal N/A 302, I wouldn't count on breaking 300rwhp without a power adder -- it just ain't going to happen.

I see you are turning some very good times in the quarter. Your rwhp is lots better than mine. What mods do you have? Are they legal?

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the board, lots of nice and helpful people here!

Totally agree!

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:34 PM
here are a few combo's for you both proven and daily driven

stock shortblock
afr 185's
f303 cam
edelbrock performer rpm II
30 lb injectors
70mm throtte body
76mm mass air
longtubes
x pipe
mac catback
5 speed and 4.30's
car has a/c and all options and makes 333rwhp as it sits today

another combo

stock shortblock
brodix st5.0 heads
f303 cam
holley systemax intake and the same fuel parts as above system

also made 332 rwhp through a 5 speed

Good stuff here but starting to make me feel gloomy with what I was planning on using!

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:35 PM
With your 1.7RR's...
How 'bout .513 Intake, .529 Exhaust with a 276º/282º split on a 112º LSA?
(would be .483/.498 with 1.6 RR)

And it's emissions legal.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=237629&prmenbr=361

And the price is right too. It could do 300, but probably not 350.

There we go ! Starting to feel much better..there's hope in legal stuff?

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 10:38 PM
I dont know if the trickflow cams are emissions legal, but they are cheap and IMO better than the alphabet cams. Also the stock cam is still a very good cam really.
BTW not knocking anyones info in the AFR 165s, but I have a buddy has a coupe with box stock AFR 165s , trickflow intake, longtube headers,x pipe, flowmasters. 70mm TB and spacer, 24lb injectors and the rest is STOCK, stock 302 bore,STOCK cam and rotating assembly. NATURALLY ASPIRATED!
And as far as horsepower it made i have no clue, but It ran 12.20s on a tire.
Call BS if ya want (because alot of ppl have) but its the damn truth. And I know some of ya have seen it at steele.
My point, I think AFR 165s are a damn good head.

Anyone have a program that can translate this into RWHP?

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 11:09 PM
My car when it was N/A.

Full weight 93 cobra (3400#)

FRPP 'B' cam, 1.7 rockers, AFR 165 heads, 3.73 gears, FRPP headers, off-road pipe, and slicks put down 295 rwhp/ 313 torque. Went 12.8 @108 I believe with a 1.7 60ft.

you can go in the dyno forum and see what different combinations have done :nice:

Nice! :banana:
As in B303 cam? FRPP "shorty" headers? So from what i read in your message with my 93 cobra (3150#) and a "B303" cam and AFR165 heads ( I have the other parts already) i "should" put out the same rwhp? A "B303" isn't emissions legal is it? I know I keep harping about legal and don't get the impression it "has" to be smog legal but on a scale of 10 it's a 9. Its not a "drag" only car. It's my everyday driver. I like a car that stops, turns, runs and looks good hence my "Cobra". The sheetmetal stays as is and this is why i would also like to keep it as "legal" as possible. If I want "Supra" rwhp i'll buy a "LX mustang" to use as a race car. :soapbox: Off that now.. thanks for listening. QWKSNKE this rant was in no way directed at you or anyone else for that matter. Just letting everyone know where i'm coming from. I will check out the dyno forums. Thanks again!

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 11:21 PM
An E Cam(with 1.6 rockers) will do 300rwhp. My friend's did it with a low mileage 306, TFS Twisted Wedge heads, GT40 Tubular intake, shorty headers, hedman offroad X pipe, and other supporting goodies.

350rwhp on a emissions legal 5.0 NA combo is nearly impossible...but I don't necessarily know what combos would be "e" legal. I would think AFR 185's, lots of cam, lots of intake and about 7000rpm and you could do it.

Were getting closer..
.030 overbore = a drop in compression but ups the horsepower? Are the TFS's comparable or better than the AFR's on a stock motor? My understanding of the "Cobra" intake is it's the same port as the GT40 only in aluminum instead of steel? Correct me please. "Other supporting goodies"? Can you clarify on this? Injector's, TB, Mass Airflow etc. You didn't say "impossible". :jester:

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 11:26 PM

It seems like the thing to do.

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 11:27 PM
It's good for the environment? :shrug:

Thank you .. that too .. and I have kids.

SNK-BIT
07-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Well so is riding a bicycle, but our asses, arent riding those around are we!

Actually I do !!

Italian LX
07-15-2005, 05:01 AM
Dude, I think you just made a record for the most legitimate posts made in a row in a single thread. :eek:

Italian LX
07-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Are you talking about getting with a Comp, Crane, Lunati tech etc and having them grind me something legal? Would this get me what I want?
No they likely won't be legal.

When he refers to custom cams, he's talking about cams like what AFM offers. The particular grinds are available under a standard part numbr (N-22, B-41, etc.) but they are custom designed for certain applications (nitrous, blower, etc.).

Italian LX
07-15-2005, 05:18 AM
Anyone have a program that can translate this into RWHP?
They have formulas for estimating horsepower from ET's, but you have to have the race weight of the car.

I would bet $500 that the above mentioned car has a gutted interior, no A/C, and no power anything. I would also bet there is some massive upgrades to the suspension and probably handles like ass on the street.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging him out, I'm just saying that numbers like that on N/A cars are typically in a light weight car with a drag-only suspension. That is not what you are looking for.

Italian LX
07-15-2005, 05:27 AM
I see you are turning some very good times in the quarter. Your rwhp is lots better than mine. What mods do you have? Are they legal?
You can check out my mod list at the following link:

http://www.deepstageperformance.com/88lx-mods.html

I'm using an E-cam, so my combination is not 50-states legal. I also have an O/R mid-pipe and no emmissions equipment, so I guess I won't be moving to Cali anytime soon. :D

coupe
07-15-2005, 12:13 PM
The Emissions-legal cams are tested and passed for smog-legality...nothing more. Some are more radical than non-tested cams :yup: .

Point is: there are some pretty healthy emissions-tested cams out there like Crane #444221. It is a .533/.544 lift (with 1.6RR!!) and 270º/278º total duration. It's even on a "racy" 112º LSA. This cam will support 350 hp nicely...AND it's 50-state emissions legal (Crane compucam2030). I think svopaul had one in the shop at one time.

...But it might not clear trick-flow heads on stock pistons.

QWKSNKE
07-15-2005, 12:19 PM

There's no 'might' to it. It will NOT clear stock pistons with that much lift

ujslost
07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
I would bet $500 that the above mentioned car has a gutted interior, no A/C, and no power anything. I would also bet there is some massive upgrades to the suspension and probably handles like ass on the street.

Hey Brian, Call me at 256-878-7607 and we can discuss where you need to send that check for $500!

Bone stock from the factory suspension.
No AC is correct
Power everything!
Only "suspension" was a set of subframes.
Full interior, minus back seat,with a cage! Cage should make up back seat weight!
If ya dont believe me drive up here to albertville, or contact beer man, this car is setting in the garage right now, having a launch kit and SSM lift bars put on it . So actually , it did not have anything other than stock suspension when It pulled this 12.20.
He has or had the Timeslip , which has the date on it showing it was done before the suspension upgrades, which are still in progress as of today.
I know that SRUVBNHAD (marc) seen it at steele before, and possibly you and Lee did. its a Red coupe. has drag lights and slicks mounted on black turbine wheels. tag reads quickhuh

There was a dude at the dyno day had a red coupe with the alteeza taillights. Remember? Well thats not the car, but I remember that guy being at the track the day we took my buddies red coupe out and it ran the 12s. That dude was talkin so much shit, calling us the back yard boys! So if ya know that dude ya could ask him.

Italian LX
07-15-2005, 03:49 PM
I've seen some unbelievable numbers from "freak" cars, so I'm sure it's possible. However, forgive me for saying that I'd have to see it to believe it. ;)

ujslost
07-15-2005, 05:26 PM
No problem bro! Believe me, Kevin , Richard and myself were all suprised to say the least. Btw that stock suspension didnt last long after a few passes. Rear control arms nearly fell out of the rear end the bushings were so worn out. Forgot to add, it did have a tremec trans and moser axles, which doesnt make much differance in ETs. This is the motor I have in my car now, minus the afr heads and TFS intake. I put my typhoon and GT40s on it! Will it run those times, HELL NO i doubt it.

Wicked
07-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Were getting closer..
.030 overbore = a drop in compression but ups the horsepower? Are the TFS's comparable or better than the AFR's on a stock motor? My understanding of the "Cobra" intake is it's the same port as the GT40 only in aluminum instead of steel? Correct me please. "Other supporting goodies"? Can you clarify on this? Injector's, TB, Mass Airflow etc. You didn't say "impossible". :jester:

Well, the 306 is just a .030 overbore as you said. What you gain from displacement increase is negligible. But being low mileage means it will have full compression from fresh rings. I'd say AFR165's and TFS TW heads are both great for a stock motor.

The GT40 Tubular intake uses the same lower as the Cobra intake but is much prettier in my opinion. I attached a pic. Now that I think about it, not sure if its aluminum or steel. Either way its powdercoated.

Yes, when I say support, I mean 24lb injectors, 73mm C&L, 65mm(I think) TB.

Oh yeah , Welcome! :jester:

SNK-BIT
07-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Dude, I think you just made a record for the most legitimate posts made in a row in a single thread. :eek:

Is that a compliment?
I asked but did not get educated (wrong forum:-) on how to do multiple quotes on a single reply. Probably could have saved some space. Sorry did not want to leave anyone out!

SNK-BIT
07-15-2005, 07:47 PM
No they likely won't be legal.

When he refers to custom cams, he's talking about cams like what AFM offers. The particular grinds are available under a standard part numbr (N-22, B-41, etc.) but they are custom designed for certain applications (nitrous, blower, etc.).

I found "Anderson Ford Motorsports" and none of the cams they list are emissions legal as you said. They seem pricey but seem to post good numbers in the customers cars and the dyno. Thanks for the link though.

SNK-BIT
07-15-2005, 07:56 PM

I'm using an E-cam, so my combination is not 50-states legal. I also have an O/R mid-pipe and no emmissions equipment, so I guess I won't be moving to Cali anytime soon. :D

From a four to an eight..very nice! I noticed on the charts your AF ratio was much better (leaner) than mine. I see you use a fuel regulator. Did you and how much did you have to adjust it to get this AF? I was told by the dyno folks that if I was to get an adjustable regulator I could gain as much as 10rwhp on top of what I have now. True?

SNK-BIT
07-15-2005, 08:03 PM

I took a look at FRPP site and it shows the E303 as a emission legal cam. Is this the cam your using? My understanding is if the part had an EO# then it was good in all states...particularly Calif. Correct me.

SNK-BIT
07-15-2005, 08:05 PM
The Emissions-legal cams are tested and passed for smog-legality...nothing more. Some are more radical than non-tested cams :yup: .

Point is: there are some pretty healthy emissions-tested cams out there like Crane #444221. It is a .533/.544 lift (with 1.6RR!!) and 270º/278º total duration. It's even on a "racy" 112º LSA. This cam will support 350 hp nicely...AND it's 50-state emissions legal (Crane compucam2030). I think svopaul had one in the shop at one time.

Is this RWHP? What would I have to do if I were to use the AFR's with this cam?

SNK-BIT
07-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Well, the 306 is just a .030 overbore as you said. What you gain from displacement increase is negligible. But being low mileage means it will have full compression from fresh rings. I'd say AFR165's and TFS TW heads are both great for a stock motor.

The GT40 Tubular intake uses the same lower as the Cobra intake but is much prettier in my opinion. I attached a pic. Now that I think about it, not sure if its aluminum or steel. Either way its powdercoated.

Yes, when I say support, I mean 24lb injectors, 73mm C&L, 65mm(I think) TB.

Oh yeah , Welcome! :jester:

Thanks for the welcome and info!

SNK-BIT
07-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Well guys n gals. I think I have alot of research to do. From what I have gathered here it seems it's doable..with diligence! Thank you all for the input. :chug: As always i'm ready for any more advice. I'll be in touch.

Shankin
07-16-2005, 06:06 AM

350 can be had with a 302 but its not easy. I rec a set of brodix st 5.0Rs milled about 20,a systemax intake ported,custom cam by cam motions,long tubes,and a real good tune. That will put ya really close. For cheap i have seen a stock 93 cobra with a b cam and long tubes put down 280.

Wickd GT
07-16-2005, 06:18 AM
You are going to have a hard time getting 350hp with emissions legal stuff if is in CA. Yes you can beat the system, get a custom cam and explain what you want to whom is going to build your cam, he is going to build it at the border line, those GT 40s heads are a good head if you get them ported they will flow very good, and have them put 1.90in/1.60 valves, and you are still legal. When emissions time comes the tirck is to lean the motor, get some hot spark plugs and put the timing at factory specs, 10* of timing. The a;phabet cams are good cams for NA especially the E303 cam, it is a single pattern, when you have cam that is dual pattern is when thing get a bit harder because it produces abit more of emissions. In other words, once you decide what you want, what is going to beat the emissions is the tune up on the motor, if you do not tune the motor it is going to fail miserable. When I was station in Cal, I had GT-40 Crate motor in my car, and was told I would not pass emissions because of the B303 cam, not emissions legal. Well, this was in a Carburated car, I tune the motor, lean the carb, had the cats on and went for the inspection, walla!! I past, way below the emissions requirments. Now is up to you to do it.

Edgar

Craig K.
07-16-2005, 07:18 AM
Did I read right in an earlier post that your wieght is 3150? IS this with you in it? If so, this is great, with that low of wieght, you do not necessarily need to make as much power as another car that wieghs say 3400 like Lee's did.

Also are you considering doing a 0.030" bore, are you thinking of doing an engine rebuild?

If that the case then you could do a storker and should be able to make your NA 350 HP level your looking for.

Also concerning the 0.030" bore, as Wicked said the added 4 cubic inches really won't make much power, and as you stated you'll actually loose some compression ratio since your bore is now bigger. That is true if you use a stock replacment piston.
If you do a 0.030" bore, you can use a lightwieght piston, balance the rotating assembly, and use a slight dome to bump you compression ratio. There is actually a lot of HP you can find in the bootom end, you just need to pay for the right machine work.

QWKSNKE
07-16-2005, 07:35 AM
Did I read right in an earlier post that your wieght is 3150? IS this with you in it? If so, this is great, with that low of wieght, you do not necessarily need to make as much power as another car that wieghs say 3400 like Lee's did.

yeah I am trying to figure out how his car is so much lighter than mine.

Italian LX
07-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Maybe you need to lose some weight? :poke:

SNK-BIT
07-16-2005, 02:42 PM

Add 170lbs with me in it. I weighed the car several times ( I go by it every nite) at the state truck scales with half a tank of fuel. With me looking (there closed at this time of nite) at the display...3140lbs.

Craig K.
I do not plan to pull the motor anytime soon. I really don't want to dig into the long block at all but figured the air in\air out route was the "foundation" for all things to come. (See post #27) Thanks for the info!

Wickd GT
I live in WA and I live on an "Island" that has no smog checks!! Go figure then I would want to try and keep it "Legal". NO..i'm not a tree hugger..just conscious of the environment. Call me stupid. I read an article about AFR165's that said there (out of the box) good for an 30% improvement over GT40 iron heads and approx the same for horsepower. So..if i'm making 240+rwhp and figure in a 30% power increase (72hp) this would put me over 300rwhp? Or am I all :bs: . If this is true then I should be able to get "close" to my 350rwhp with the cam? I understand there are articles\heresay and then "reality" but parts also "compliment" each other right? In other words you have a motor that "could" put out lets say 500hp but it can't because its trying to breathe thru a 325cfm carburetor! Once you install the "right" carburetor the rest of the parts now get to "work" to deliver the 500 hp. Thats my line of thinking with the parts I already have and the ones I need to get, as they'll compliment each other and get me to my goal. Correct me please, and thank you for the "smog" info. Good stuff!

Shankin
Another believer!! I wouldn't expect it to be easy but with all the info i'm getting from (don't start lying now) all of you, lots more research, I still think it's doable! Those numbers are close to where I want to be. And these post #'s (3,9,13,14,36) are also VERY encouraging!

Thanks again all for the help..i'll keep you posted..it's going to happen!

coupe
07-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Here: Put some emissions-legal nice heads on (Performers are 50-state) with a cam I recommended above (the comp. 444225 or the big 444221) and an intake (CObra, Holley, TFS). Have the heads cleaned up a bit on the short-radii and the seat-to-bowl blend for maximizing flow. Get the supporting equipment like Wicked said (ie: 24#-30# injectors, MAF, TB, plugs, timing at about 13-14º) and let 'er rip! If it doesn't do 300 on a tune (AT WHEELS) I'll buy you dinner. :D

The E-303 does have 50-state. Not the B. It's in the exhaust event.

And I would have to disagree with the emissions cams not really being split-pattern. The emissions problems start happening with 1)overlap (& tight LSA's), and 2) opening the exhaust valve too early letting cylinder-pressure off and unburned stuff. :nice:

SNK-BIT: you can have your cake & eat it too. Probably will get low 300's with your stuff worked out. Need fuel & air. Nice to see the emissions-friendly approach.

QWKSNKE
07-17-2005, 07:50 AM
I live in WA and I live on an "Island" that has no smog checks!! Go figure then I would want to try and keep it "Legal". NO..i'm not a tree hugger..just conscious of the environment. Call me stupid. I read an article about AFR165's that said there (out of the box) good for an 30% improvement over GT40 iron heads and approx the same for horsepower. So..if i'm making 240+rwhp and figure in a 30% power increase (72hp) this would put me over 300rwhp? Or am I all :bs: . If this is true then I should be able to get "close" to my 350rwhp with the cam?

Just to give you an idea, I picked up 40 hp at the wheels just swapping out my GT-40 irons for AFR 165's. No other changes at all.

I agree with Coupe, doing a smog friendly car is a good project to try and do. I can't wait to see your results. :nice: