PDA

View Full Version : Hard Right

ujslost
07-14-2005, 09:01 PM
ok when i take a hard right turn, like turning in the drive way to quick for example my car dies or stalls,
most the time it cranks right back up, 2 times i have had to let it set for about 2 mins then i crunk back up. Whats the deal , I know the FP is on the pass side of car, so is the gas going to the left side of the tank and possibly starving the FP for a sec causeing this?

Possibly btw, i have 99% of my wiring hidden in the front drivers side fender, and the front tire might be rubbing on something when its turned hard to the right. but i cant see anything there being obstructed.

Shot me with some thoughts, and rag me for not having my inner fender installed, because I know for some reason thats going to come up!

Italian LX
07-14-2005, 09:36 PM
. . . I know the FP is on the pass side of car, so is the gas going to the left side of the tank and possibly starving the FP for a sec causeing this?
That should't cause the problem. If your tank was low enough, the fuel should still stay in the basket below the pump.

Possibly btw, i have 99% of my wiring hidden in the front drivers side fender, and the front tire might be rubbing on something when its turned hard to the right. but i cant see anything there being obstructed.
That's where I'd look. All it takes is a short period of no spark and you engine will die. Check wires to your coil.

ujslost
07-15-2005, 02:41 PM
I agree Brian, because every time I have stuck a screw driver in the #1 plug wire and laid it on the header, and no spark.
Also what if ya got spark coming from the coil but none from plug wire to the plug?

99LS1
07-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Dead plug wire?

SthrnDaizey
07-15-2005, 02:52 PM
I wanted to say the same thing....:shrug: makes sense....

ujslost
07-15-2005, 03:03 PM
but one plug wire wouldnt keep the car from running, and its only dead when the car stalls like this

Italian LX
07-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Check under the hood tonight while it's running -- see if you have any kind of light show. Move the coil wire around with a "hot stick" and see if it arcs to anything. If you have a crappy coil wire, it could be arcing when you turn and robbing all the cylinders of spark.

ujslost
07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Didnt think of that Brian, I will do that.

Disney Lincoln
07-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I had the EXACT same problem. Mine turned out to be the wire that went from teh starter solenoid to the EEC relay. It had found a sharp piece of metal from a hole and rubbed through the insulation. It would grond out when taking a LEFT turn on mine. I eventually found it when it grounded out one too many times and burnt up the fusible link.

ujslost
07-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Hey Disney was this on a Lincoln or a Mustang? Either way would you by any chance happen to know exactly what the color scheme of that particular wire was. Chance has it I have my damn solenoid mounted inbound the fenderwell also! Its a pain in the ass to work on, but I have one of the cleanest engine bays in my area, for an EFI car.

Disney Lincoln
07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
This was on my TT Lincoln. Wiring color is the same though, It's a Red/blue wire 12guage I believe.

ujslost
07-16-2005, 06:54 PM
The one that goes to the small post in the center of the solenoid?

Wicked
07-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Do you have a fuel pressure gage? Maybe you could do the hard right while watching the FP and see if it drops indicating a fuel system issue. If it doesn't drop, you know its ignition/ecu related.

I was also thinking maybe it was the inertia switch screwing up, but the FP test will determine that as well.

I've seen where water got in one of our test ECU and when you went around a left turn, the engine would die. That one took a while to figure out.

Disney Lincoln
07-16-2005, 09:48 PM
The one that goes to the small post in the center of the solenoid?

No, one that goes on teh same side as the battery cable.

ujslost
07-17-2005, 09:55 AM
WICKED - Since it doesnt want to crank right up after this happens sometimes, I did turn the switch on and look at my FP guage on the fuel rail and it was correct. Thats what makes me think its electrical related, and the fact that no fire coming off the plug wire.

Disney- Ok thanks for clearing that up Ill check that here in a few minutes, and the mass air wires you mentioned also. THANKS BOTH OF YA!

Wicked
07-17-2005, 10:50 AM
WICKED - Since it doesnt want to crank right up after this happens sometimes, I did turn the switch on and look at my FP guage on the fuel rail and it was correct. Thats what makes me think its electrical related, and the fact that no fire coming off the plug wire.

If the fuel is good, you gotta take that wheel off and look up in the inner fender. There's gotta be something thats rubbed the tire or even rubbed a sharp edge.

BTW, Got pics of the engine bay? I'd like to see it.

ujslost
07-17-2005, 02:20 PM
http://forums.qwiksnake.com/showthread.php?t=2799&highlight=engine+bay

There is a thread I posted a few weeks ago with pics and details!

BTW not really the cleanest, maybe the tidiest!, Hide the wireing and brake lines. You will see when ya click that link

ujslost
07-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Problem solved last week.

Wicked
07-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Problem solved last week.

Share please. We need to see what resolved it here so we all learn something.

ujslost
07-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Tire was grounding out a wire when it pushed up against it. Not sure what the wire went to.

joker
07-25-2005, 06:17 PM
:jester: Wow, I didnt think there were any wires in the wheel well :jester:

Italian LX
07-25-2005, 06:21 PM
:jester: Wow, I didnt think there were any wires in the wheel well :jester:
They are when you hide them in the fender. :slap:

joker
07-25-2005, 06:22 PM
They are when you hide them in the fender. :slap:
Your not suppose to hide them where they are so far in the fender the wheel rubs them :shrug: PLus isnt that what the inner fender cover things are for?

QWKSNKE
07-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Your not suppose to hide them where they are so far in the fender the wheel rubs them :shrug: PLus isnt that what the inner fender cover things are for?

I thought so :shrug:

Of course some people like Italian only run one or none of their inner fenders :bad:

Italian LX
07-25-2005, 06:51 PM
I thought so :shrug:

Of course some people like Italian only run one or none of their inner fenders :bad:
The way I see it, it's no different than not running your battery hold-down, distributor cover, clutch fork cover, etc. :P

QWKSNKE
07-25-2005, 06:58 PM
I am not running wires in the bellhousing or under the dist cap either :P

ujslost
07-25-2005, 09:35 PM
The way I see it, it's no different than not running your battery hold-down, distributor cover, clutch fork cover, etc

Exactly! Plus my engine bay is a lot cleaner without the wires, all i had to do was wire tie em up.

Shorty
07-26-2005, 03:11 AM
wire hiding=teh pain in ass. this extending the harnesses really worries the hell out me. although i dont see how you could have a wire so low the wheel rubbed it. :shrug:

joker
07-26-2005, 11:39 AM
although i dont see how you could have a wire so low the wheel rubbed it. :shrug: :werd:

ujslost
07-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Youd just have to see, and I dont recall extending any wiring at all.

boosted23L
07-26-2005, 11:14 PM
I know what the problem is..

Shorty
07-27-2005, 02:22 AM
I know what the problem is..

:shrug:

and I dont recall extending any wiring at all.

i would like to see how you managed that. everyone i spoke to about it has had to. i think i tried every routing possible and still came up short.

ujslost
07-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Really Id just have to do it, or talk to ya, its kinda detailed to type up. Did you remove the headlight harness? and re route it also? BTW mine is an 89 which is differant to the other years, as far as wiring harness is concerned.
Harness also goes under the brake booster now instead of over it, and over the bell housing instead of up on the high side of the fire wall.

Shorty
07-27-2005, 02:38 PM
i havent hidden mine that runs against the firewall, i will do that when the topend comes off of it. yes i believe the headlight harness is the one that has been all the trouble.

ujslost
07-27-2005, 02:42 PM
I believe the only wiring on mine that wouldnt not reach at all was the one that goes to the coolant overflow bottle. Which I dont need anymore.

Disney Lincoln
07-28-2005, 12:18 AM
I pulled all the wiring through on this 91 Coupe and didnt have to lengthen any wires that I can think of. I did make my own harness for the coil since I have teh MSD mounted in the car. The Passenger side wouldnt reach the MAF, but I had to maek an adapter harness for that also since It has a new model MAF.

Shorty
07-28-2005, 02:35 AM
:think: maybe it has something to with gaining some extra by dropping the harness along the firewall. mine come in thru the back of the strut tower and were a good foot short.

ujslost
07-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Ran mine thru a hole in the back of the strut tower also on the driver side

Shorty
07-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Ran mine thru a hole in the back of the strut tower also on the driver side

i dont really understand why yours didnt have to lengthen then. that is really the only way to get them in the fender. :shrug:

ujslost
07-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Well your welcome to come and take a look at it man.