PDA

View Full Version : Conv Top Replacement

Craig K.
07-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Has anyone here ever done a conv. top replacment?
If so how hard is it, how long did it take, and would you be willing to help me do mine (I'll buy the pizza and beer ;))

or

Has anyone here had a shop with-in an hour of B-Ham do a conv top for them that you would recommend, and if so who?

Thanks

Italian LX
07-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Has anyone here ever done a conv. top replacment?
If so how hard is it, how long did it take, and would you be willing to help me do mine (I'll buy the pizza and beer ;))
I believe this is one of those jobs that is not a do-it-yourself type project. I've never attempted it, but I've heard it's one of those jobs that requires practice to get it right. There are a lot of tricks that a fist-time installer wouldn't know to do.

Has anyone here had a shop with-in an hour of B-Ham do a conv top for them that you would recommend, and if so who?
Alabama Auto Tops in B'ham.

I have their 800 number at work so I can post it Monday.

Craig K.
07-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks Brian for the number (in advance)

I have heard the same thing as far as installing them. If it was not my DD I woulod try iot and just take my time, but being that I totally depend on the car, I will need to get it done quickly.

Aslo as a side note I have been thinking of getting the cloth type of top instead of the vinyl type, they look much nicer and I have heard they last a little longer too. The price seems to be about $200 more though, but this is one of those things that last for years afterwards so might as well do it up nice.

QWKSNKE
07-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Definitely get the cloth top. Brian had one on his Fox GT and it was freaking nice!!!

Italian LX
07-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Definitely get the cloth top. Brian had one on his Fox GT and it was freaking nice!!!
Yep, it was a StayFast cloth top I got at the above mentioned place. It was kind of pricey, but well worth it. It was somewhere around $1000 for the top and installation. My previous vinyl top was just under $700 installed somewhere here in Anniston.

The StayFast tops are really nice and have a longer warranty on them.

Wicked
07-24-2005, 07:03 AM
Yep, it was a StayFast cloth top I got at the above mentioned place. It was kind of pricey, but well worth it. It was somewhere around $1000 for the top and installation. My previous vinyl top was just under $700 installed somewhere here in Anniston.

The StayFast tops are really nice and have a longer warranty on them.

Is the cloth more durable?

The only had 2 durability problems so far with my top. 1) The staples that I have found that obviously worked out of the tackbar. 2) The B pillar leading edge where the top creases and rubs the molding as its raised and lowered.

Is a cloth top better about number 2?

Italian LX
07-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Is the cloth more durable?

The only had 2 durability problems so far with my top. 1) The staples that I have found that obviously worked out of the tackbar. 2) The B pillar leading edge where the top creases and rubs the molding as its raised and lowered.

Is a cloth top better about number 2?

Yeah, the cloth top is more pliable and therefore doesn't leave bad crease marks and eventually crack as vinyl does.

You can give Paul a call and see if he'll let you check out my old top. It should be still on his SVO project car.

Craig K.
07-24-2005, 07:58 AM
I have the same problem as Brad in number 2 above.

I had the staple issue aslo, but I tapped them back in and they have stayed in now for a while.

But the big problem is that were a crease was 3 days ago is now an inch long cut. I will be putting on a piece of felt tape until I can get the top replaced, hopefully that holds it off for a month or so.

I did forget to mention that this is the original top, and when I bought the car I figured I would have to replace it in a year or so, still not too bad for a conv top to last 10 years in the south.