PDA

View Full Version : Manual steering rack

Shorty
07-25-2005, 01:03 PM
me and Brian talked about this one time(i.e pro's, con's, cost). i really wanted to do this mod for the weight savings and the extra cleanliness under the hood. not to mention, one day the pump will need replacing. so after looking around i have found that you can get these kits for around $350 shipped instead of the near $500 found in Sumitt. here is a link for ebay

Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33589&item=7988096115&sspagename=WDVW)

here is the link to a site (found on Corral) he says they carry them for $350 all the time. the site was having some trouble last i checked, but here it is.

Link (http://musclemotors.com/)

just a little info for anyone interested. anyone who wants to chime in with comments bring them on. maybe you can convince me why this is a bad idea. :shrug:

Craig K.
07-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Hey I have one of those.

I did a Flaming River quick Ratio rack in the '85 years ago, along with their steering column (with the two U-joints).

I like it a lot. With a fat tire up front though you would need some good sized arms to have it in your DD if you do a lot of in town driving.

If you run front runners, or a slightly smaller width tire up front it should be no problem.
Also you only really notice when you are at parking lot speeds, just cruising down the road it feels nice and tight, and you really don't notice it not being power.

Concerning the steering shaft, I was a little disappointed in the way you get it.
Basically the u-joints are seperate from the shaft pieces, and you have to assemble it. The only way the U-Joints stay to the shaft pieces is by a set screw. I didn't like this, so once I had it all set up and working the way I wanted, I went back and spot welded mine in place (along with the set screws).

Also as I recall there was no positive way to locate the shaft to the rack out put shaft (no key way so to speak), which made aligning the two with the steering well centered a little more difficult. I evetually went to a quick disconnect steering wheel, which made centering the steering wheel a lot easier ;).

I can't remeber how much I paid for mine (it was 1999) but $350 sounds like a really good deal.

FYI you can go the cheeper route of doing a TRW rebuild for the early '80's cars, I knew a couple of guys that had done this years ago, but I would spend the extra money and get the new one from Flaming River if it were me.

Shorty
07-25-2005, 03:33 PM
I like it a lot. With a fat tire up front though you would need some good sized arms to have it in your DD if you do a lot of in town driving.

the car is definitely not a DD. :D

just cruising down the road it feels nice and tight, and you really don't notice it not being power.

from what that i have read you actually feel more in control of the car at higher speeds. sort of more feel for what the car is doing.

hopefully they have solved some of issues that you are speaking of, i havent read anything about those problems in any of the recent threads i have checked, but i will check into it. i definitely want to go with new parts when at all possible. this project is obviously going to be an ongoing thing, so waiting to get the right parts for the job is something i am prepared for.

thanks for your info. :nice:

QWKSNKE
07-25-2005, 04:21 PM
how is it going to clean your engine bay up? Everything power steering related is pretty much unseen :shrug:

Italian LX
07-25-2005, 04:27 PM
how is it going to clean your engine bay up? Everything power steering related is pretty much unseen :shrug:
My engine compartment was a lot cleaner looking without the PS pump and hydraulic lines. :yup:

Disney Lincoln
07-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I really like the feel of a FR manual rack. It's NOTHING like a stock PS rack without the power. Totally different. I don't have any problems in the coupe with 255-40-17's up front. Really not much heavier than the stock quick ratio. Although, it does have a 16: or 17:1 something like that. Not the stock 15:1.

Shorty
07-26-2005, 02:59 AM
My engine compartment was a lot cleaner looking without the PS pump and hydraulic lines. :yup:

:werd: there is actually alot of plumbing under there, not to mention that huge bracket and pump.

Really not much heavier than the stock quick ratio. Although, it does have a 16: or 17:1 something like that. Not the stock 15:1.

i think i read somewhere that it is like 18:1. 3.75 turns lock to lock. it may a mistake later down the road, but i think i am going to give it a try.

qkjuicedpony
07-30-2005, 03:34 PM
i have done many by just removing the power steering pump and lines from the rack itself.....its cheaper and you can always go back to power steering if you desire.

Shorty
07-31-2005, 02:56 AM
i have done many by just removing the power steering pump and lines from the rack itself.....its cheaper and you can always go back to power steering if you desire.

but that would steer even worse that a manual rack. ease of steering is the only downfall i could find in a manual, so why go with something worse. plus i am lazy, once i take that stuff, it isnt going back on.

ChipR4cam
08-02-2005, 04:01 PM
but that would steer even worse that a manual rack. ease of steering is the only downfall i could find in a manual, so why go with something worse. plus i am lazy, once i take that stuff, it isnt going back on.

I would keep the power stuff laying around in case you sell the car to someone who dosen't like the manual. :dunno:

Italian LX
08-02-2005, 04:18 PM
I did that with mine, but I actually took it one step further -- I gutted the valving hoping that it would make it easier to turn. It was a little less effort than with the valving, but still a PITA at low speeds.

Shorty
08-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I would keep the power stuff laying around in case you sell the car to someone who dosen't like the manual. :dunno:

its not worth it to keep it laying around, unless i can store it at your place. :poke: unless i cant get it running this time around i dont forsee selling it.

ChipR4cam
08-03-2005, 02:15 PM
its not worth it to keep it laying around, unless i can store it at your place. :poke: unless i cant get it running this time around i dont forsee selling it.

Leave it over a Lee's house. He has his car torn apart so much he would never notice the extra parts. :D

Shorty
08-03-2005, 04:42 PM
:lol: