PDA

View Full Version : What ignition setup for 7,000 rpm or greater shifts?

ERStettin
08-01-2005, 07:27 PM
I am running a 1992 Coupe, all motor 360 small block that is currently being shifted at 7,000 rpm and using the stock Ford electronics. Everyone is asking why? My answer, "Because it works"....lol. (I am using a TwEECer RT to control the rev limit and tune)

It is a DART block, nuetral balanced with forged internals.

Here are some questions for those who know ignitions (I admittedly do not).

1. Why not use the stock Ford stuff in this application?

2. What is a better ignition setup to use for an all motor setup like mine?

3. If I plan to upgrade to some higher winding parts next year and up my shift points from 7,000 to 8,000 rpm, what ignition parts would you recommend using and why?

4. Will a MSD 8456 TFI distributor, MSD Blaster Coil and MSD 6A work for me now and in the future with the 8,000 rpm shifts?

Thanks in advance to all who reply. I really have not looked into ignition stuff until now. I guess it never concerned me. Now I am looking to the future upgrades and would like to get some ideas as to which way to go. Thanks again to all who reply.

Ed Stettin

Italian LX
08-01-2005, 07:45 PM
1. Why not use the stock Ford stuff in this application?
An aftermarket ignition will offer a more complete burn and will run more efficiently. Also, the "soft" rev limiter (such as on the MSD) will be a little easier on your motor.

4. Will a MSD 8456 TFI distributor, MSD Blaster Coil and MSD 6A work for me now and in the future with the 8,000 rpm shifts?
That would be a good set-up and probably all you would need. You may want to get the 6AL since the rev limiter is supposed to be a lot nicer than the stock EEC limiter.

ERStettin
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
(I am using a TwEECer RT to control the rev limit and tune)

Thanks for the reply. I actually considered running the 6AL but am not sure if it can be used without the rev limiter option with my TwEECer. I would like to stay with the TwEECer as the rev limiter and have the 6AL for the future in the event I ever go carb (Fat chance....lol). Thanks.

slvrbullit
08-01-2005, 07:56 PM
If you are turning the motor that high now and plan on the 8k rpms later then I would get the MSD 7 series ignition, it is a full out race set up, I am not too sure if you can use a regular distributor with it or if you will have to swap to a crank trigger set up. If that is not the way you want to go you may could do the MSD Digital 6.

slvrbullit
08-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I actually considered running the 6AL but am not sure if it can be used without the rev limiter option with my TwEECer. I would like to stay with the TwEECer as the rev limiter and have the 6AL for the future in the event I ever go carb (Fat chance....lol). Thanks.

The 6al will rev to the moon with out the RPM chips installed.

QWKSNKE
08-01-2005, 08:00 PM

Ed,
Italian is right. Use the rev limiter on the MSD box over the EEC built in rev limiter.

ERStettin
08-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that about the 6AL with no chip.

QWKSNKE
08-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that about the 6AL with no chip.

Basically, buy whatever pill you want for the rev limiter and set your EEC via Tweecer a few hundred rpm above that. If you don't adjust your EEC limiter, it will come on before the 6al limiter.

QWKSNKE
08-01-2005, 08:09 PM
The 6al will rev to the moon with out the RPM chips installed.

yeah but the limiter in the EEC will still kick in

Italian LX
08-01-2005, 08:17 PM
For some strange reason, he'd rather use the EEC rev limiter instead of the MSD. :think:

What is your reasoning for this, Ed?

slvrbullit
08-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Doesnt the EEc limiter cut fuel and not spark? Which inturn would be bad, I really do not know is why I am asking.

ERStettin
08-01-2005, 08:53 PM
For some strange reason, he'd rather use the EEC rev limiter instead of the MSD.

Fellas, the TwEECer RT allows me to set the rev limiter to the moon as well. It pulls spark or fuel (not sure which) in the same manner the MSD does. The only reason I was considering the A6L was for a carb setup in the future when I don't use the TwEECer. Then its rev limiter would be nice to have.

What is the difference between the rev limiter on the MSD and the TwEECer? They both operate the exact same way correct?

slvrbullit
08-01-2005, 08:59 PM
I have heard that the factory EEC rev limiter was actually a fuel cut and now a spark cut, the MSD cuts the spark ao it fires oddly.

Shankin
08-02-2005, 06:34 AM
On my car with stock elctronics the stock ignition ssytem with a 6al box works just fine. I have seen cars make over 1000 to the tires with a stock ford coil and a 6al so i guess it would be ok for your combo.

93Cobra#2771
08-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Regarding the EEC rev limiter. It does, indeed, cut fuel. However, it doesn't cut a little fuel, it cuts ALL THE FUEL TO EVERY OTHER CYLINDER.

In other words, it makes every other cylinder a dead cylinder (effective pumping air). So, it avoids the problems of killing spark (cylinder wash from injectors still firing, and sometimes backfiring down the exhaust system due to the raw fuel pumping through the cylinders).

With that being said, Ed, I do recommend upping to aftermarket ignition. Better burn, hotter spark, etc. You can leave the rev limiting out of it and still use your EEC, or you do as Italian said and raise the EEC rev limit a few hundred rpm over the aftermarket rev limiter.

I currently run my MSD without an rpm chip, and use the EEC for rev limiting duties. You should also look into the Crane stuff - it's a little higher tech than the MSD, and a lot cleaner looking inside the case.

BTW, I do not know about the later model EEC's rev limiting methods, this only applies to 93 and older...

ERStettin
08-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the information Richard. I am on the verge of buying a HI-6 setup right now. I should know this evening. I want to upgrade now so that I will be set for later....lol.

Wickd GT
08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the information Richard. I am on the verge of buying a HI-6 setup right now. I should know this evening. I want to upgrade now so that I will be set for later....lol.

You mean the Crane Hi-6? Stay away from it, this box is known for misfire at top end, not as reliable as the MSD.

Edgar

ERStettin
08-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Edgar,

Where is information on this misfire stuff with the HI-6? I have been scouring the internet and talking with friends that are running them and they have had zero problems with them.

On the other hand, read this. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642555&highlight=distributor I was going to go with a MSD setup but after reading this and talking to some people with these same experiences I decided the HI-6 is the way to go for me.

I have a friend here in Iowa that had the same experience with his MSD 6AL box actually failing and having to have it replaced last year. He is running a Crane HI-6 now. I know MSD's were good before the buy out several years ago, but as of the last few years, they seem to be going in the crapper.

Again, I have zero experience with any of them. I am just going on word of mouth from some hard core racing friends and they are telling me to stay away from MSD. They are telling me their first hand experiences and that means alot to me.

I am glad it is working for you. They seem to be hit or miss lately.

Disney Lincoln
08-03-2005, 12:17 AM
For that kind of RPM, I would look into a 7 series system and a Crank trigger.

Wickd GT
08-03-2005, 05:05 AM
Edgar,

Where is information on this misfire stuff with the HI-6? I have been scouring the internet and talking with friends that are running them and they have had zero problems with them.

On the other hand, read this. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642555&highlight=distributor I was going to go with a MSD setup but after reading this and talking to some people with these same experiences I decided the HI-6 is the way to go for me.

I have a friend here in Iowa that had the same experience with his MSD 6AL box actually failing and having to have it replaced last year. He is running a Crane HI-6 now. I know MSD's were good before the buy out several years ago, but as of the last few years, they seem to be going in the crapper.

Again, I have zero experience with any of them. I am just going on word of mouth from some hard core racing friends and they are telling me to stay away from MSD. They are telling me their first hand experiences and that means alot to me.

I am glad it is working for you. They seem to be hit or miss lately.

On that you are right, I have seen lately a lot of the MSD failing, the HI-6 a freind of mine here with a 582 BBC had the Crane but when in the higher rpm 7500-8000rpm it will misfire taking with it 4 pistons, nobody has said this, but the Mallory box it is a very good box in all rpms. Now you said you might consider later on to go Carb, then I'll go with the 7 box, lots a good features in that box.

Edgar

ERStettin
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
I should look into the Mallory setups. I am not very familiar with those either. Thanks.