PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Centerforce clutches?

joker
08-17-2005, 01:04 PM
I am planning on going ahead and picking up a clutch kit since my car has like 140k miles, and I figure I am on borrowed time with my driving style. I believe it is an 11" clutch. I know spec and centerforce both make clutches for my car, but wasnt sure about any other clutch companies. I dont really want another spec clutch, but I guess I will have to if the centerforce stuff is crappy.

QWKSNKE
08-17-2005, 01:05 PM
I am pleased with my centerforce dual friction. The lightest pedal feel I have ever had in a performance car.

joker
08-17-2005, 01:07 PM
I am pleased with my centerforce dual friction. The lightest pedal feel I have ever had in a performance car.
If you dont mind me asking, how long has it been installed. Heaviness of the clutch isnt near as much of a problem in a hydraulic clutch, at least the ones I have driven (05 gt, and the supercoupe) seemed alot lighter than the mustang cable type clutches.

QWKSNKE
08-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I put mine in when the motor went in. I have around 2500 miles and 15 slick launches

Disney Lincoln
08-17-2005, 01:45 PM
I would recommend a SPEC of a Centerforce. I haev had a lot of bad luck out of CF clutches. Granted, I do drive "spirited" a lot. I have had OK luck with the Centerforce Gold series though.

If it's my car, I would probabyl go with a McLeod setup. Or a custom set from Walt at Pro-Motion in FL.

I haev a RAM in my car now. It works very good, but has an incredibly high pedal effort. Some of that now is the cable since the hard pedal has worn through the inner liner.

Seems you cant go wrong with a SPEC anymore too. I had it out for them pretty bad, but after working on a few cars with good working SPEC"s I am warming back up to them. The last one I used was two years ago. It was JUNK! I haev had 2 other SPEC's that were complete unblanaced JUNK. The part that pissed me off the most about the unbalanced ones were that they would blame it on me or my parts. I would pull out a perfectly smooth clutch for a SPEC and it would vibrate like you threw off the ring from your balancer. Send it back (after a BUNCH of bickering) and they sent me another that was smooth. This scenerio happened TWICE, years ago though.

joker
08-17-2005, 01:52 PM
I tried to look, but mcleod doesnt seem to make one for my car, or at least I didnt see it listed in thier online catalog.

Disney Lincoln
08-17-2005, 02:08 PM
What car?

joker
08-17-2005, 02:21 PM
supercoupe, uses a 11" disk, not sure on the spline count.

QWKSNKE
08-17-2005, 03:04 PM
The last one I used was two years ago. It was JUNK! I haev had 2 other SPEC's that were complete unblanaced JUNK. The part that pissed me off the most about the unbalanced ones were that they would blame it on me or my parts. I would pull out a perfectly smooth clutch for a SPEC and it would vibrate like you threw off the ring from your balancer. Send it back (after a BUNCH of bickering) and they sent me another that was smooth. This scenerio happened TWICE, years ago though.

We have a member here who run into that during the same time frame. We also have a member here who works for Spec and has tried his damn'dst to get me to run one in my 93 cobra. Unless the CF goes to shit within the next 10-20k miles, it probably wont happen.

I have a stage 1 Spec in my 88 GT. It was in the car before I got it. Seems to grip well but the damn pedal feel is heavier than a 70 model 4-speed Ford truck. Last time I drove it, I thought I was going to have to use both feet to press the damn thing. So i doubt I will ever install one in a daily driver car.

slvrbullit
08-17-2005, 03:08 PM
I ahve never had experience with centerforce, but that would have been my next choice over the SPEC 3 i have in the stang. I have used RAM clutches before as well and was pleased with them in my 82 GT I used to have.

I will never buy another FRPP clutch with the problems that we have had in the cobra with it.

QWKSNKE
08-17-2005, 03:10 PM
I had very good luck with the FRPP clutches until I put the blower on and went from 400rwhp to 500rwhp. They don't hold up well after that :shake:

coupe
08-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I've found some mustangs with heavy pedals, some medium, and some heavy...all with Stg 1 clutches. I've concluded that the quadrant and/clutch fork condition/pivot are the culprits. Mine's about medium in my car; but I have an off-brand quadrant and I reused the fork & ball which were not in the best condition.

I have been working to get some balance and consistency issues worked out here & it seems everything is going very well. We have all 7 stages available for the Supercoupe (5 regular + 2 hybrids). I could have it built within about a day :D

As for CF. It would probably work fine also. Clutchs aren't rocket science. But I would recommend taking off the "centrifugal" weights from the pressure plate before install. They have been known to cause some problems.

Disney Lincoln
08-17-2005, 05:53 PM
The centri clutches are the ones from CF that I don't like.

I would check that Cable QWKSNKE. I haevnt personally seen a stage 1 with a heavy pedal. It could be a bad cable causeing that feel. I know my cable is bad and that's most of the problem with my RAM.

QWKSNKE
08-17-2005, 06:27 PM
The prior owner sent me a pm and informed me that it was a stage 2.

Not worried about the cable. The 5-speed should be removed and a C-4 in hopefully sometime this winter :D

coupe
08-17-2005, 06:37 PM
C4? :think:

I've driven Stage-3 clutches that were lighter than my Stage 1. It's in the leverage under the dash (quadrant) or in the bellhousing (pivot & fork). The Stg 1-4 are set-up to have the same required force (pedal effort) to depress the pressure plate springs. They differ in the clamping force though. :nice:

QWKSNKE
08-17-2005, 06:38 PM
C4? :think:

I've driven Stage-3 clutches that were lighter than my Stage 1. It's in the leverage under the dash (quadrant) or in the bellhousing (pivot & fork). The Stg 1-4 are set-up to have the same required force (pedal effort) to depress the pressure plate springs. They differ in the clamping force though. :nice:

yes the 88 will be a auto if i can save the $$ up. i wanted an AOD but a C-4 is a lot cheaper

coupe
08-17-2005, 06:44 PM
:yup: Any good AOD will set you back a good C4 and a T5. I thought you were C4'ing the Cobra. "whew"

QWKSNKE
08-17-2005, 06:59 PM
:yup: Any good AOD will set you back a good C4 and a T5. I thought you were C4'ing the Cobra. "whew"

:bad: No! I'll just keep rebuilding the t-5's until I have the money to put g-force internals the 5-speed case.

95whitevenom
08-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Just got my Spec stage 1 put in and am currently breaking it in. Its much better than my FRPP KC was. It grabs mucha harder and will prolly do me for a while. Thanks to tommy for the refference and also matt for the info and selling me the nice piece of equipment.

1Quik85GT
08-25-2005, 11:17 PM
My theory on clutches is find out how pressure is on the PP...I belive some of the guys on here have heard me talk about it, but a clutch with alot of PP is a disaster waiting to happen. I have tried CF clutchs, and it broke everything behind it... T-5s, rear ends, etc. I had my CF clutch put on a machine to see how much pressure it was holding and it was 3000lbs...yikkkkkkkkkkkkes.... I know the guy that works for SPEC and he is trying to get me to go with his clutch also, but my thing is why change when what I have works...lol... I have an adjustable Mcleod clutch in my race car and my street car. I love em. Easy adjustablility, and very consistent 60fts and not so violent on breaking pieces... Give me a shout out on the clutches if ya need any help...
Also need to determind what kind of RPM will you be shifting at... anything above 6500-6800 or higher ya better get rid of the diapraghm clutches...Its like hittin a brick wall. Talk to you guys after the weekend..I am headed to Bowling Green,Kentucky for a NHRA race.