PDA

View Full Version : AEM For 88-93 Fox?

Dale McPeters
08-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Anybody on the list running an AEM on a foxbody 88-93? If so where did you purchase it from? Also are you running in speed-density or maf mode?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale McPeters

QWKSNKE
08-18-2005, 07:20 PM
I have heard it is suppose to be a nice setup but I haven't actually fooled with it

Wall96cobra
08-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Seems like I've heard they were a pain to tune with and there wasn't much technical support for them. Try searching on turbomustangs.com there should be some info on them there.

93Cobra#2771
08-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Couldn't be any less tech support for them vs. a tweecer... :(

Dale McPeters
08-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Couldn't be any less tech support for them vs. a tweecer... :(

Unfortunately this is a very true statement Richard......:( .....
After all my years of support of the TwEECer & EEC-Tuner I have finally decided it is time to move on.....
I have found some base maps for the AEM to help with startup. I also found a writeup on turbomustangs.com. Very helpful info....
I also got an email from a guy that is running the FAST XFI system. May take a look at this also. Just need something before the first of next year.

Thanks guys,
Dale McPeters

QWKSNKE
08-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Why are you switching Dale? Is just for a new challenge or do you think the AEM setup is better than tweecer?

Dale McPeters
08-21-2005, 10:28 AM
Why are you switching Dale?
One reason as stated above by Richard is the lack of Mike's input & software support lately on any of the different websites. The '05 release of software that has not happened yet and all of the unanswered emails that I have personnally sent to him about software issues. Another reason is I will not be limited by the Ford EEC's ability with rpm & injector size. I can also run in a speed density mode (kind of) if required.

Is just for a new challenge or do you think the AEM setup is better than tweecer?

Yep I would definately like a new challenge. Also would like to get away from all the hoopla that goes on between SCT and other companies including Diablo & TwEECer. Not trying to say that one is better than the other as each have some very good features of their own. But you can not even make a simple post on the Corral and a few other websites anymore without other people wanting to start an argument about who's software/hardware is the best and fastest and who knows more about what, this is one of the reasons that I have went into lurk mode.... ;) ...And one other reason is that half of the ones that start arguments do not even know how to disassemble a binary file to find the addresses that are needed to tune with...It used to be a fun hobby at one time but as my free time has been very very limited lately I just do not want to put up with the bull**** anymore.

Now on the subject of the AEM being a better system than the TwEECer or SCT for that matter, it all boiled down to the fact that I wanted CL fuel control at WOT. Either with a WB or EGT's and be able to run 96lb/hr injectors. I did not want to be limited on injector size if I needed to step up to larger ones. Also did not want to be limited in rpm potential as stated above. The Ford EEC in my '93gt that I am working on was not going to do what I need for my application. I really want a system that I can still use most of the stock sensors and not have to hack up my wiring harness. And so far the AEM is the only one that will do that to my feeble knowledge.

Boy that was a long winded post so back to lurk mode I go..... :chug:

QWKSNKE
08-21-2005, 12:07 PM
One reason as stated above by Richard is the lack of Mike's input & software support lately on any of the different websites. The '05 release of software that has not happened yet and all of the unanswered emails that I have personnally sent to him about software issues. Another reason is I will not be limited by the Ford EEC's ability with rpm & injector size. I can also run in a speed density mode (kind of) if required.

Yep I would definately like a new challenge. Also would like to get away from all the hoopla that goes on between SCT and other companies including Diablo & TwEECer. Not trying to say that one is better than the other as each have some very good features of their own. But you can not even make a simple post on the Corral and a few other websites anymore without other people wanting to start an argument about who's software/hardware is the best and fastest and who knows more about what, this is one of the reasons that I have went into lurk mode.... ;) ...And one other reason is that half of the ones that start arguments do not even know how to disassemble a binary file to find the addresses that are needed to tune with...It used to be a fun hobby at one time but as my free time has been very very limited lately I just do not want to put up with the bull**** anymore.

Now on the subject of the AEM being a better system than the TwEECer or SCT for that matter, it all boiled down to the fact that I wanted CL fuel control at WOT. Either with a WB or EGT's and be able to run 96lb/hr injectors. I did not want to be limited on injector size if I needed to step up to larger ones. Also did not want to be limited in rpm potential as stated above. The Ford EEC in my '93gt that I am working on was not going to do what I need for my application. I really want a system that I can still use most of the stock sensors and not have to hack up my wiring harness. And so far the AEM is the only one that will do that to my feeble knowledge.

Boy that was a long winded post so back to lurk mode I go..... :chug:

yeah, I haven't been a corral or stangnet poster in a long time.

Pulling you out of lurk mode again :D ....

So, there is a point where the Ford EEC cannot do the job. Is this from a street drivability standpoint or max performance. Also, at what point is it borderline that the Ford EEC with any type of tuner is not enough?

Not asking these questions to start an argument. Asking purely for future knowledge.

QWKSNKE
08-21-2005, 12:09 PM
By the way Dale,

What kind of car and what is your setup?

Then you can go back to lurking

86GT
08-21-2005, 03:17 PM
The main limitation of the EEC-IV is the internal clock speed. The EEC-IV are pron to have problems if the car is rev'd above 7000 RPM. There are a few people out there that have been able to change the crystal of the EEC and get the RPMs above 7000. This also has its draw backs. Any function or table and so on that uses the crystal to calculate a certain value is affected. A good example would be the rev limiter which uses the PIP and clock frequency.

In my opinion if you are reving above 7K then the EEC is not a good route. The AEM maybe the best way to go but it does have a big cost factor with it.

Just my two cents

Dale McPeters
08-21-2005, 06:33 PM
By the way Dale,

What kind of car and what is your setup?

Then you can go back to lurking

It is a '93gt with 408/418w stroker and twin turbo's. If I live long enough to get it finished that is.......

As Clint stated above one of the main limiting factors is rpm potential. This is when you get in to reclocking the EEC which can have some side effects as far as tuning. I finally found some of my notes on this from a few years ago when I had tried it before, I would not recommend it on anything other than a pure strip car that has to run in a certain class etc.. Also on the earlier style EEC-IV's you can run into problems when tuning for big injectors, just not enough adjustment IMHO. I had talked to Ben Frazier about this a while back as he is currently running 83lb/hr low impedence injectors on his car which is EEC-IV based like mine, he also is still running the TwEECer. Ben also thought that the 83lb/hr injectors were about the limit on these EEC-IV systems. And I did not want any limitations on tuning them in or going larger if needed, as I would like to drive it on the street now and then. Car shows, track etc. etc.
On the later model EEC-V's you have more parameters which gives a little finer tuning that can be done to make it streetable if desired with larger injectors. I have seen some of the later model '03-'04 Cobras run 96lb/hr low impedence injectors (with a low impedence injector driver box of course) in blown applications and still be somewhat streetable.....barely...of course the clock speed of the processor is a lot faster on these models also. I know that the '03 Mach 1 that I had did not have any problems turning higher than 7000rpm even with all the added load on the pcm from other things....

Since this is going to be the last "hotrod" type car that I plan to build (getting old you know). I wanted a computer system that would not be limited by much of anything that I wanted to throw at it and datalog just about anything that I want to. Also as stated before I wanted CL fuel control with WB or EGT and "IF" I need to go to 160lb/hr injectors later on and spin the motor to 8000rpm or better (not likely but you never know) I would not be limited by the EEC-IV computer etc......

Also like Clint stated the AEM systems are not cheap but do not cost much more than the later model PMS units. I think that I will be more than happy with it.

Besides I have as much tied up in TwEECer's & EEC-Tuners as the AEM is going to cost me......maybe I need to sell off a few of them to offset the cost. Might be a good idea.... ;) .....Also may make the wife happy... :D

Now back to lurk mode I go......

QWKSNKE
08-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the insight Dale.

Dale McPeters
08-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Any time.

Sendero
08-22-2005, 07:38 AM
It is a '93gt with 408/418w stroker and twin turbo's.

Damn... just damn! :eek:

Dale McPeters
08-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Damn... just damn! :eek:

:D

QWKSNKE
08-23-2005, 06:14 PM
:lol:

I bet you actually grinned like that when you read Sendero's post.

Dale McPeters
08-23-2005, 07:53 PM
:lol:

I bet you actually grinned like that when you read Sendero's post.

Yep from ear to ear........ :banana:

93Cobra#2771
08-24-2005, 09:17 AM
You know, Dale, I forgot about John Garner (www.superstang.com). He recently switched to the AEM system and is running some serious HP through his vert...

I bet you could pick his brain on the AEM stuff.

QWKSNKE
08-24-2005, 09:44 AM
I downloaded the demo software this morning.

Pretty neat setup

coupe
08-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Played a little with an AEM for a Honda. It seemed pretty user friendly; but I'll be honest: I really like the FAST setups for something like you have Dale.

I also would highly recommend the Electromotive Tech3
http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/tec3.htm

Watched it being programmed for a T76-powered small block chevy in a 280Z car. The base program started the car and sounded wonderful. Had really nice optional inputs/outputs too. But it uses crank trigger and coil packs. :(

Dale McPeters
08-24-2005, 04:29 PM
You know, Dale, I forgot about John Garner (www.superstang.com). He recently switched to the AEM system and is running some serious HP through his vert...

I bet you could pick his brain on the AEM stuff.

Richard,

Yep he certainly did...:)
He is making a lot of power now that he has some more of the bugs out of it.
I was going to drop him a line this weekend to see what his impressions where on the software and ease of use.

Lee,

How did you like the software layout? I have a couple of maps that I can send you, there are also some base maps in the software.

Coupe,

I really had thought about the Fast system but I really did not want to cut up the wiring and go to GM sensors. They are really nice units though...:)

QWKSNKE
08-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Lee,

How did you like the software layout? I have a couple of maps that I can send you, there are also some base maps in the software.

I only got to mess around for a little bit. My head is so cloudy now from the info in the other thread that I was afraid to dive off to deep in it. If I did, I would have had to go to the 'crazy' to get medication :jester:

QWKSNKE
08-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Hey Dale I noticed that AEM uses the same forum software as EEC Tuning.org. :shake:

If you want we can split this forum into a tweecer subforum and AEM subforum. (if you can get the AEM users over here. :D

Dale McPeters
08-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Hey Dale I noticed that AEM uses the same forum software as EEC Tuning.org. :shake:

If you want we can split this forum into a tweecer subforum and AEM subforum. (if you can get the AEM users over here. :D

Yeah I noticed that.....:(
That would be nice but I do not think we could get enough of them to post here unfortunately........
I did notice that there were a few posts on the stangtuning site but I do not go there much.
Sent an email to John Garner to see how he likes the AEM now that he has had it a while. Will let you know when he replies.

Dale McPeters
08-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok guys here is the reply that I received from John on the AEM system. See below.....

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:09:21 -0500, John Garner wrote
> I love my AEM system (yes, I did convert). It is much easier to use although as with any new system there is a learning curve. Imagine this - it comes with a manual! The thing you have to remember is I loved my TwEECer so for me to be as sold on the AEM as I am it really has to be that good.
>
> If you do convert go to speed density right away. I didn't believe it but it works better in every situation and makes the whole car easier to work on.
>

So that makes the decision for me on AEM setup..... :jester:

93Cobra#2771
08-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Works for me, Dale! I had a few emails back and forth with him. He initially was going to go with the SCT stuff, but found that it didn't have anything more on it than the tweecer did, so he went back to the tweecer. Then he went AEM.

The part about the manual cracks me up! :rofl:

Dale McPeters
08-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah the SCT was not going to work for him either, same as in my situation.
Yep I liked the comment on the manual as well, I almost fell out of chair from laughing.......... :rofl:

86GT
08-26-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm still laughing:lol:

Dale McPeters
08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm still laughing:lol:

Yep I was still laughing about this on the way back from the plant awhile ago.... :jester:
One good thing about all this is atleast I have someone that I know to give me a little guidance on the AEM system now. Not quite as bad as when I started on the Ford EEC-IV's back in the late '80's......... :jester:

QWKSNKE
08-26-2005, 03:15 PM
I couldn't imagine having a manual :eek:

86GT
08-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Manual, what is that?

I was able to get an EEC-IV training manual. It was for all of the techs but I found 90% was to basic and the other 10% was informative.

QWKSNKE
08-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Ok guys here is the reply that I received from John on the AEM system. See below.....

So that makes the decision for me on AEM setup..... :jester:

:hmm:

Maybe my business needs to become a dealer for AEM also.....

Dale McPeters
08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Probably so.......... ;)

Dale McPeters
09-02-2005, 02:06 PM
As Richard stated in the other thread Group Purchase, Group Purchase...... :banana:

Dale McPeters
12-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Some what of an update on the AEM EMS system.
Since Lee would not become a dealer for the AEM EMS I have pursued other companies in my quest for the proper AEM setup for my '93gt....:jester:

I talked to Bob Kurgan at Kurgan Motorsports. He gave me a fairly good deal on a system for my car and even provides a startup tune to get you started.
I have been reading the "MANUAL" (yes it comes with a manual!!!) and browsing the software for a while.
I should have it ordered etc. in the next week or so. Hopefully I will have it installed in the car by Jan. 1 2005......:banana:

QWKSNKE
12-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah I heard about that the other day. Keep us informed on how well you like it :nice:

Dale McPeters
12-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Sure will Lee.
I am going to go ahead and put the car back N/A until
I am comfortable tuning with the AEM unit. And also to make
sure that the auto fuel mapping is going to work as expected.
I still have to reinstall my WB & EGT equipment and get it all
hooked up to the AEM unit.

I also think that I may have purchased Omar's N/A exhaust system
off of his high 9 sec. nitrous car as he is upgrading to 2-1/8" headers
and 3-1/2" collectors and a glide etc.

By the way I did not get to send the item that we discussed as I have
been to busy at work. I will try to get it in the mail before friday. I am
also going to send the NTK plug parts. Do you need me to look for some
more of those chips? I am sure I have some somehwere just need to dig
them up.

-Dale

QWKSNKE
12-07-2005, 01:22 PM
no problem. We are still unsure which chips are missing right now. Wall96cobra has been busy and has not researched it anymore

Dale McPeters
12-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Well I will go ahead and dig around and see what I have left.
I will go ahead and send what I find that way you may not have to
buy anything.

Dale McPeters
01-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Well after many delays on getting the AEM EMS 30-1400
ordered for my car, it has finally been ordered. Thanks to
Bob Kurgan for sending me an email to remind me since I have
been working so much lately.
He said it should be here in 1-2 weeks.

Will post a follow up when it arrives....:D

Dale McPeters
02-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Well guys/gals guess what is on the Fedex truck that will be here at
10:30am this morning?

:banana: :banana: :metal: :metal:

ncontt
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Well guys/gals guess what is on the Fedex truck that will be here at
10:30am this morning?

:banana: :banana: :metal: :metal:

:metal: keep us updated as I'm sure you will.

Dale McPeters
02-09-2006, 12:18 PM
:metal: keep us updated as I'm sure you will.

Will do Brad. ;)
Bob Kurgan already emailed me a base tune for
my setup. :chug: To me that was worth a lot.
He already setup my GM map sensor FJO-WB/AFR
fuel and a lot more.......
I am sure that there will be some minor tweaking
to do but at least I do not have to start completely
from scratch.
The first picture that I am going to take of it
is the "MANUAL"..............:banana:

May get some posted tonight if I have some spare
time.

Dale McPeters
02-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Well the AEM EMS arrived yesterday.......:chug:
A big thanks to Bob Kurgan for such good service
and providing a base tune to start from!!
Did not get to take any pictures last night but I
am sure that most of you have already seen plenty
of pictures of them......;)

Hey and guess what guy's it came with a frigging
manual and directions!!!! :metal:

Hope to get it intalled and fire the car up just to make
sure that the unit is ok and to tinker!!!! :banana:

More later as back to work I go.......

93Cobra#2771
02-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Very cool.

86GT
02-10-2006, 04:10 PM
:chug:

If we could all be so lucky. Congrads

fireguy50
02-10-2006, 11:49 PM
:chug:

Dale McPeters
02-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks guy's.

Richard, throw me some more walnuts as I need some of the shells to
put in a tumbler!!! :D.

Clint if you are interested in one drop Bob Kurgan and email. He will make
you a good deal on one.

Ryan, did you get my email about the wiring harness for the '65 coupe?

So far so good on the AEM. My wife is mad at me though as I printed out
some of the manuals on her printer, something like 350 pages or so and I used
all of the ink in her color printer cartridge.....and I still have one more
manual to go...:lol:

93Cobra#2771
02-13-2006, 12:47 PM
:lol: :lol:

Go here for ink cartridges - they aren't OEM, but they are a LOT cheaper:
http://www.dhgraphicsusa.com/

I've ordered from them for a couple of years now. About a 2 week turn time, IIRC...

YMMV

Dale McPeters
02-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Thank Richard, I will check them out.

Dale McPeters
02-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey Richard, before I forget. I talked to John Garner via email a week or so ago
picking his brain on a few things about the AEM. I have posted a link that you
need to go check out.

http://www.aempower.com/sponsored_garner.asp

He has also updated his website again.

http://www.superstang.com/

He has a new job and has moved to Seattle. He said he really likes it there.
Thought you would like to know.

fireguy50
02-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Ryan, did you get my email about the wiring harness for the '65 coupe?
nope, but I got TON's of these emails:
w3 can h3lp, Try th3 n3w p3nis 3nlarging patch
Boost your future business with a impressive logo
67% of women are unhappy with their lover’s penis size
Visit our new online pharmacy store and save upto 85%
C1alis is up for grab$
Graphic design from logos to websites

93Cobra#2771
02-14-2006, 11:13 AM
I dropped John an email, since I haven't spoken with him in a while...

QWKSNKE
02-14-2006, 12:19 PM
nope, but I got TON's of these emails:
w3 can h3lp, Try th3 n3w p3nis 3nlarging patch
Boost your future business with a impressive logo
67% of women are unhappy with their lover’s penis size
Visit our new online pharmacy store and save upto 85%
C1alis is up for grab$
Graphic design from logos to websites

:spit: :rofl:

Dale McPeters
03-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Ryan,

Did you get the reply email that I sent to you
concerning payment on the wiring harness for
the '65 coupe?

Pm me and let me know how you would like payment.

Thanks again..:chug:

Paul
03-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Dale, I am taking a buddie to the dyno this weekend with a turbo 422. I can probly steal his map if you need a starting point ;)

Dale McPeters
03-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Dale, I am taking a buddie to the dyno this weekend with a turbo 422. I can probly steal his map if you need a starting point ;)

Paul, I would like to take a look at it if he does not mind. I already have
a NA base map for the 418 that Bob Kurgan setup for me but it never hurts
to see others to see what the minor differences are......

If he does not mind me looking at it you can send it to my email

mcpetedl at grandecom dot net.

I would like to see the boost compensation setup on it, to see if the one
that I did looks about the same.

Much appreciated.

fireguy50
03-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Ryan,

Did you get the reply email that I sent to you
concerning payment on the wiring harness for
the '65 coupe?

Pm me and let me know how you would like payment.

Thanks again..:chug:
yeah I got the email, you did't seem in a hurry :chug:

I don't tane walnut payments :jester:

93Cobra#2771
03-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Well, that sux. I've saved 6 buckets of them for nothing, it appears... :lol:

On the plus side, they smoke my steaks really well on the gas grill...

Dale McPeters
03-09-2006, 06:42 AM
yeah I got the email, you did't seem in a hurry :chug:

I don't tane walnut payments :jester:

I am glad you email is working again.
I am not in a hurry but would like to go ahead
and get it on order as I know how busy you are
right now. And besides my wife told me to get it
ordered as I only have 5 years to finish it and I am
kind of slow.....:jester:

Well, that sux. I've saved 6 buckets of them for nothing, it appears... :lol:
On the plus side, they smoke my steaks really well on the gas grill...

I agree as I have an intake full of walnuts that I was going to
use as payment...... :popcorn:

sinistercoupe
03-12-2006, 05:06 PM
hey dale sent you a pm. :)