PDA

View Full Version : HELP? what front suspension

One_live95
08-21-2005, 07:43 PM
I pulled the front struts off my car today, and they have almost no absorption, and almost no rebound left. I was gonna put the caster camber plates on but i think i better replace the shocks.....

I am looking for a recommendation, something that will be ok on the street, and launch at the track.......front end lift. I am also thinking of doing the shocks at the same time, and would like opinions and suggestions for those as well.

Things i was looking at so far are:

HAL struts, with threaded sleeves for coilovers....but they are $$$$$$$whew...lol

KYB
Lakewood

what are the other options etc.... :chug:

I have also been thinking of springs, like race springs, but i would like some that lower the car as well.... anything like this exist, cutting coils isn't unheard of, but is this a good option on drag springs....

thanks

jason

slvrbullit
08-21-2005, 08:07 PM
I run the Eibach DRag Springs, they DO NOT lower the car and when you lower the car you give up traction, there is now way around it unless you do coil overs all the way around.

As for shock I am running Lakewood 70/30's up front and 50/50's in the rear.

Disney Lincoln
08-21-2005, 08:53 PM
I am VERY fond of the Tokiko Illuma (?) 5 way adjustable struts and shocks. They can go from a 90/10 drag shock to a very stiff road shock with a few clicks of the knob. they work VERY well on the drag settings too. I am not a twisties guy, so I haev no solid input there.

I like coilovers or 4 cyl springs up front, and stock V8 or 4cyl springs in rear depending on what tire and power you have. I really dont care for the Eibach drag launch springs front and rear. The fronts are OK, but I haev no use for the rears.

Shorty
08-21-2005, 08:59 PM
i am planning run the Tokicos as well. you can get them on Ebay for $450 shipped. that is for the shocks and struts. Italian LX uses them and from what i can tell riding with him they are very nice.

M1Speed
08-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Bilstein and tokicos are the top shocks and struts i would suggest. I know Jugg2Driver has the tokico 5 way adjustables and they work great for he's car.

One_live95
08-21-2005, 09:43 PM
i will start looking at those, i am unsure on my budget right now..... so i will see what i can swing.....

going to e-bay.......

One_live95
08-21-2005, 09:50 PM
cheapest i seen those for my car on e-bay is 530 plus shipping..... i have a 94-95

seems kinda steep.... especially when i am spending money on a diff., gears and other stuff the next week or so...

jason

Disney Lincoln
08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Good stuff aint cheap.

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

You can only have two out the three......

One_live95
08-21-2005, 10:03 PM
true......lol

jason

asilver2001gt
08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
strange adjustables are much cheaper than tokicos and work just as well if not better..might be something to consider

if you can find a set of rear springs, i will sell you the steeda sports for the front that i have cheap

Shorty
08-21-2005, 10:36 PM
th kit you were looking at including the lowering springs. i dont know what the quality of them are, but that is a good deal for the shocks/struts and springs. here is the link to both sets one with springs and the other without. the without price is $435 shipped. :nice:

with springs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-ILLUMINA-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-MUSTANG-94-98-FREE-S-H_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ799316104 6QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

without spings (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-ILLUMINA-STRUTS-SHOCKS-MUSTANG-94-04-FREE-S-H_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ799316194 8QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

i dont think you can beat that deal.

96GTS
08-22-2005, 04:46 AM
cheapest i seen those for my car on e-bay is 530 plus shipping..... i have a 94-95
Get the struts for the fox bodies. Wont bottom out if you lower the car.

strange adjustables are much cheaper than tokicos and work just as well if not better..might be something to consider
I've installed 2 sets of the strange 10 ways and another buddy of mine had his installed by a shop. All three sets suck. They make noise and bottom out over the slightest bump/dip unless you creeeep over it. And those were fox spec and neither car was lowered dramatically. Thats just my experiance with them.

I have 90/10s w/ C/Os up front, 14" - 175lb springs and QA1 12 way C/Os out back The 90/10s are super smooth

Italian LX
08-22-2005, 05:24 AM
. . .the Tokiko Illuma (?) 5 way adjustable struts and shocks. They can go from a 90/10 drag shock to a very stiff road shock with a few clicks of the knob.
:shake:

The Illuminas are a full road strut that has constant 50/50 valving and is only adjustable for firmness. However, Tokico does make a different Drag Strut that is adjustable for variable valving as you mentioned. If you bought the Illumina series, you did not get a drag strut.

One_live95
08-22-2005, 07:49 AM
please elaborate brian...... where can you get the other ones. Would it also still handle decent on the street, stockish ride, with the drag suspension?

jason

Disney Lincoln
08-22-2005, 10:30 PM
:shake:

The Illuminas are a full road strut that has constant 50/50 valving and is only adjustable for firmness. However, Tokico does make a different Drag Strut that is adjustable for variable valving as you mentioned. If you bought the Illumina series, you did not get a drag strut.

They are still considered to be in the Immumina series strut. Who's freakin counting? I just order em and bolt them bitches on.

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/tokicodragstruts.htm

Be helpful and provide a link before busting my balls next time A-hole.

Disney Lincoln
08-22-2005, 10:31 PM
And yes, they handle very nicely on the street. They feel firmer than the stock strut does. I haev used them on both Fox and SN-95 chassis'

Italian LX
08-23-2005, 05:43 AM
They are still considered to be in the Immumina series strut.
Yeah, but usually people are refering to the regular street version when they generically use the term Illumina. I was just wanting to make sure he was aware and that he didn't order the wrong part.

Shankin
08-23-2005, 07:41 AM
tokico makes an adjustable strut for drag racing and has a street setting.

Italian LX
08-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Yeah, the drag strut adjusts from street (50/50) to strip (90/10) and the street strut adjusts from soft to firm with 50/50 valving throughout.

One_live95
08-23-2005, 09:35 AM
cool deal....... anyone care to explain the valving, what the different ratios mean, i assume its bound, rebound? But what does the 50 number mean..... is it a flow rate or what.....?

Brian and everyone else, i will prolly wind up going this route..... Are they adjustable under the hood and in the trunk or will i have to get under the car?

thanks this thread is enlightening so far.....Appreciate all the help, even the technicality things..... lol

jason

Italian LX
08-23-2005, 10:31 AM
...anyone care to explain the valving, what the different ratios mean, i assume its bound, rebound? But what does the 50 number mean..... is it a flow rate or what.....?
It's the percentage of compression-to-rebound. A 50/50 will have and equal amount of compression/rebound whereas a 90/10 would have a 90% compression rate and a 10% rebound which will cause the strut to extend quickly, but compress a lot slower. In the same sense, a 70/30 would be a less agressive version of a drag strut.

..... Are they adjustable under the hood and in the trunk or will i have to get under the car?
The Tokicos adjust under the hood at the top of the strut.

One_live95
08-23-2005, 12:49 PM
thanks....... i found those on e-bay for the 87-93's for 435 free shipping, might be a week or two. but i will prolly get those...unless i use plastic(not a good thing)......lol

jason