PDA

View Full Version : tire ?????

Shorty
08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
trying to make a decision on what tires to use. i dont want to be cheap however i dont want to spend more than needed because money will be tight to get all this stuff put on. here are the options i have found thus far.

Hankook K104 = $570/set
Falken 451 = $606/set
Nitto 555 xtrem =$674/set
Kumho 712 =$566/set

i guess the Kumhos are my favorite thus far (looks/price). anyone who knows anything about any of these i appreciate all info. a little FYI.

*wet weather traction is not an issue, i dont drive the car in the rain.
*i do plan to get an extra set of slicks later, but do want something that hooks fair.
*all these are from Discount tire. all prices also include shipping costs.

thanks

TheJeanyus
08-22-2005, 03:41 PM
The Kumho 712s are pretty crappy from what I've heard. They don't hook and when they're warmed up they're even worse. From what I gather the Ecsta MX is the only good hooking tire they make, but they don't last long.

I think for the quality of tire, the Nitto 555 is probably the best value on the market. My next set of tires will be 555s.

banditmwp
08-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Hello, Kumhos, goodbye traction. :yup: I'd second Joseph's vote for the Nittos.

QWKSNKE
08-22-2005, 05:18 PM
trying to make a decision on what tires to use. i dont want to be cheap however i dont want to spend more than needed because money will be tight to get all this stuff put on. here are the options i have found thus far.

Hankook K104 = $570/set
Falken 451 = $606/set
Nitto 555 xtrem =$674/set
Kumho 712 =$566/set

i guess the Kumhos are my favorite thus far (looks/price). anyone who knows anything about any of these i appreciate all info. a little FYI.

*wet weather traction is not an issue, i dont drive the car in the rain.
*i do plan to get an extra set of slicks later, but do want something that hooks fair.
*all these are from Discount tire. all prices also include shipping costs.

thanks

:slap:

That's what you get for going to an 18" wheel :D

kumho's = :notnice:

I have not nor do I know anyone that has run the Hankooks and Falkens. But Brian and I like the Nitto's

TheJeanyus
08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
I had a set of Hankooks too. They lasted well, but traction SUCKED. I think they're made out of concrete or something. :D

slvrbullit
08-22-2005, 06:44 PM
We have the Faulken 512's on the cobra and paid $500 mounted and balanced at the discount from my friend Scott that works at a local dealer here. They hook good for a street tire at the track and on the street. Let me know the size and I will get you a price on them and PM ya.

tacbear
08-22-2005, 07:00 PM
I have Kumho 712's and they are great on the street--really good wet traction! They suck at the Track and they get noisier as they wear- especially at 2.5 deg of negative camber. My next tires will be Nitto's.

EZ SPEED
08-23-2005, 03:59 AM
Nitto :nice:

Shorty
08-23-2005, 04:35 AM
:crazy: didnt really want to pay $700 for tires, but i guess i might have to.

Let me know the size and I will get you a price on them and PM ya.

255/40/17
275/35/18

Shankin
08-23-2005, 07:42 AM
I like the nittos. I have them on the wifes car and they have been great.

Disney Lincoln
08-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Have you looked at the Avon tires? They have gotten some great reviews and The people I haev talked to with them absolutely love them.

I don't know about the pricing on them though. I know they are available from The Tire Rack. www.tirerack.com

I haev some Falkens on the back of my DD right now and they SUCK. Terrible wet and dry traction. I wouldn't recommend theem to anyone who values their own life.

My favorite tire for DD duties with awesome traction remains the FireStone SZ-50's. They are very sticky, wet and dry. But, they haev terrible treadwear. They shed like crazy and last only 10-15K

Shorty
08-23-2005, 02:10 PM
i can deal with 10-15 miles tires. :nice:

two other options i looked at were:

BFG g-force sport (all 4 corners)

BFG DR's out back --- g-force sports up front.

i just need more info on street milage out of the BFG DR's. what i have heard they suck, but traction rocks. i have seen where alot of people are pulling 1.7 60's off of them. :shrug:

Shorty
08-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Have you looked at the Avon tires? They have gotten some great reviews and The people I haev talked to with them absolutely love them.

which Avon tires are speaking of just the standard summer. :shrug:

Wall96cobra
08-23-2005, 04:13 PM
I just put some hankooks on the maxima and I like them, traction is fine but not like the max has alot of power :jester:

QWKSNKE
08-23-2005, 05:22 PM
I just put some hankooks on the maxima and I like them, traction is fine but not like the max has alot of power :jester:

They didn't work to well on stopping the semi the other day :jester:

Wall96cobra
08-23-2005, 06:26 PM
They didn't work to well on stopping the semi the other day :jester:

No, but they put up a hell of a fight :jester:

QWKSNKE
08-23-2005, 06:54 PM
:lol:

true

Disney Lincoln
08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+M550+A%2FS&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=74WR7M550&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

Shorty
08-24-2005, 04:20 AM
anybody know anything about Toyo tires. reading up they seem pretty good, look great, but they are about the price of the Nitto 555.

PonyChick
08-24-2005, 03:57 PM
No, but they put up a hell of a fight :jester:

:rofl:

banditmwp
08-24-2005, 05:35 PM
anybody know anything about Toyo tires. reading up they seem pretty good, look great, but they are about the price of the Nitto 555.
Nitto is a division of the Toyo Tire Company. :nice: Their Proxes T1R and T1S lines are very good tires from what I've heard.

Shorty
08-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Nitto is a division of the Toyo Tire Company. :nice: Their Proxes T1R and T1S lines are very good tires from what I've heard.

good info. the T1R is what i had looked at. still have to do a little more research to try and make a good decision. it is killing me not to order the DR's but i cant replace tires every 3k miles.

One_live95
08-25-2005, 02:44 PM
you can get more than 3k out of drag radials IMO........

I bought the sumitomo..... htrz somethings......lol i like them....reasonably priced, hook pretty damn good for a street tire IMO

jason

Ponygirl
08-25-2005, 07:19 PM
For the record...I LOVE my Nitto's! They are super sticky and drive great in the rain. They survived a pretty good wreck and have no flat spots. I have been very impressed with them and I'll probably not have anything else on my car.

Shorty
08-26-2005, 03:26 AM
For the record...I LOVE my Nitto's! They are super sticky and drive great in the rain. They survived a pretty good wreck and have no flat spots. I have been very impressed with them and I'll probably not have anything else on my car.
i will likely end up going with the Nitto just because of the DR tread wear. however my car never sees the rain so that is not an issue at all.

you can get more than 3k out of drag radials IMO........
from what i have read the BFG's only average around 3k miles. if you can show me some info otherwise i would love to see. i really want those tires. :(

Wall96cobra
08-26-2005, 05:12 AM
i will likely end up going with the Nitto just because of the DR tread wear. however my car never sees the rain so that is not an issue at all.

from what i have read the BFG's only average around 3k miles. if you can show me some info otherwise i would love to see. i really want those tires. :(

I got 18k miles out of my nitto drag radials

One_live95
08-26-2005, 09:38 AM
I thought he was talking about the nittos, bfg's are a little diff., i haven't ran them but i know where a set is at with over 3k and still look to be ok....

coupe
08-26-2005, 09:47 AM
from what i have read the BFG's only average around 3k miles. if you can show me some info otherwise i would love to see...

Listen, as with any tire...several factors determine its life-span.

The biggest is driving style. No need to elaborate; you know what I mean.

Second is inflation pressure. Depends on contact area and weight of car. (psi)

Third is going to be the alignment and/or condition of the differential. If you have a bad unit it can cause drag on one side. Also, if the bushings are worn on the rearend, it can be slightly out-of-square with the car, causing wear.

I could probably get 20k plus out of Drag Radials the way I drive. But then again; I could probably fry a set in 5 minutes.

From my listening...the Nittos last longest on average. :nice:

Shorty
08-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Listen, as with any tire...several factors determine its life-span.

The biggest is driving style. No need to elaborate; you know what I mean.

Second is inflation pressure. Depends on contact area and weight of car. (psi)

Third is going to be the alignment and/or condition of the differential. If you have a bad unit it can cause drag on one side. Also, if the bushings are worn on the rearend, it can be slightly out-of-square with the car, causing wear.

I could probably get 20k plus out of Drag Radials the way I drive. But then again; I could probably fry a set in 5 minutes.

From my listening...the Nittos last longest on average. :nice:

:think: the problem with the Nitto DR's is that they $100 a piece more than the BFG's. to be honest buying cheaper tires is going to be difficult, much less taking another step up. also i have to go with a 285 as opposed to a 275. this sucks.

BFG tread wear rating says 00 (maybe supposed to 100 :shrug: )

nitto tread wear rating says 100.

TheJeanyus
08-26-2005, 05:48 PM
:think: the problem with the Nitto DR's is that they $100 a piece more than the BFG's. to be honest buying cheaper tires is going to be difficult, much less taking another step up. also i have to go with a 285 as opposed to a 275. this sucks.

BFG tread wear rating says 00 (maybe supposed to 100 :shrug: )

nitto tread wear rating says 100.
If the Nittos last 5 - 6 times as long, they're much cheaper than the BFGs over time. Maybe not per tire, but if you have to buy 5 BFGs to 1 Nitto, that changes things quite a bit.

M1Speed
08-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Ive got nitto's on my car right now, love em. The only thing is i wish i had got the r2's for the stiffer side wall. The 555r's roll in hard cornering. Great tire all around. And im sitting on 8km and they still stick.

Shorty
08-27-2005, 09:32 AM
If the Nittos last 5 - 6 times as long, they're much cheaper than the BFGs over time. Maybe not per tire, but if you have to buy 5 BFGs to 1 Nitto, that changes things quite a bit.

:agree: there is no doubt this is true. but unfortunately it will be a strugle just to get all the parts i need before track day without adding a extra $200 for tires. and i still have no clue what the DSP shop fee is going to be. :D

Ive got nitto's on my car right now, love em. The only thing is i wish i had got the r2's for the stiffer side wall. The 555r's roll in hard cornering. Great tire all around. And im sitting on 8km and they still stick.

r2's cost too much. if i remember correctly. you guys are talking to someone who will be scrapping the barrel by the time this is done. :notnice:

M1Speed
08-27-2005, 10:06 AM
r2's cost too much. if i remember correctly. you guys are talking to someone who will be scrapping the barrel by the time this is done. :notnice:

I was saying the r2's for me because of the cornering piece, but if your doing straight line the 555r's. I got mine for $200 mounted.

Shorty
08-27-2005, 04:40 PM
I was saying the r2's for me because of the cornering piece, but if your doing straight line the 555r's. I got mine for $200 mounted.

those are nice. i am sure they would be nice on the Dragon. :D

Shorty
08-28-2005, 02:31 PM
i have finally decided on the tires. provided i can get them under the fenders all will be good. i decided to go ahead and go with the following.

Front: Nitto 555R Extreme =$113/tire 235/45/17
Rear : Nitto 555R Drag Radial = $270/tire 285/35/18

Total= $766 :notnice: really alot more than what i wanted to spend. but even with the DR's it is only about $100 more than just the 555 extreme. hopefully it will all work out. things are getting close.

Wall96cobra
08-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Well here's the way I look at it, an 18in drag radial is still not gonna hook that good so why not just put a regular street tire on it and atleast get some descent wear out of it. I had 18in street tires on my car with almost 500rwhp and it was fine with normal driving.

One_live95
08-28-2005, 04:52 PM
good point...... and with that 10 inch tire it won't be as bad as you think.........

jason

Shorty
08-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Well here's the way I look at it, an 18in drag radial is still not gonna hook that good so why not just put a regular street tire on it and atleast get some descent wear out of it. I had 18in street tires on my car with almost 500rwhp and it was fine with normal driving.

:think: why is this? not enough sidewall to wrinkle any. :shrug:

One_live95
08-28-2005, 04:57 PM
yeah there is not sidewall to absorb the hit when it is punched....... they roll pretty easily...

jason

Shorty
08-28-2005, 05:01 PM
maybe time to rethink.

Shorty
08-29-2005, 11:16 AM
ordered the tires today. discount tire price matched another company that was having a sale and still honored free shipping. ended up with Nitto 555 Extreme 235/45/17 up front and 265/35/18 in the rear. total price ended up being $572 shipped. :nice:

i did drop a little in tire size just to be sure there were no fitment issues. but i still have alot more tire than stock.

TheJeanyus
08-29-2005, 06:48 PM
I think an 18" drag radial will hook fine with 225 hp. Remember his car doesn't even make half what yours did.

Wall96cobra
08-29-2005, 07:29 PM
I think an 18" drag radial will hook fine with 225 hp. Remember his car doesn't even make half what yours did.

Oh yeah I know but I was just saying that I don't think a DR would hook that much better than a regular street tire that it would be worth it. Like I said I just had regular street tires on mine and it hooked ok on the street as long as you didn't get too crazy with the throttle. I just know after 2 sets of drag radials I got tired of changing out tires and just wanted something that would last a while.

QWKSNKE
08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
ordered the tires today. discount tire price matched another company that was having a sale and still honored free shipping. ended up with Nitto 555 Extreme 235/45/17 up front and 265/35/18 in the rear. total price ended up being $572 shipped. :nice:

i did drop a little in tire size just to be sure there were no fitment issues. but i still have alot more tire than stock.

:think: I thought you had ordered 18x8's for the front?

235 'may' be a little narrow on that 8" wide wheel.

Shorty
08-30-2005, 03:04 AM
:think: I thought you had ordered 18x8's for the front?
:shake: didnt work out like that. i think it will be ok, you cant really see the difference even when you are close to them. hopfully i havent screwed up. :(

235 'may' be a little narrow on that 8" wide wheel.
:shrug: i am just going by the spec sheet for that width tire. minimum says 7.5" wheel--max is 9" wheels so judging by that i should be good. i didnt really think the whole thing out like i should have, starting with the wheels. but it is too late now so just got to make the best of it.

Shorty
09-03-2005, 04:09 AM
looked at the treadwear one the tires that are on the car now. 380!!! no wonder they feel like bricks. :D

Shorty
09-17-2005, 11:53 PM
got the car out for the first time since the tires. Nittos :metal: with the quad shocks off the hook up is twice as good as it has ever been. the FFR's should make a real nice feel. :nice: