PDA

View Full Version : what a stupid question!!!

jwillburn119
08-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Hey again, i am putting the motor back together FINALLY!!!

anyway... i didnt take the timing gears apart... my "buddy" (the one that ran off with my cam) did!

anyway... it doesnt say anything about it in the book, but when you slide the crankshaft timing gear on the crankshaft it slides freely, so what holds it in place? i see wear marks on the inside of the timing cover... HUGE ones... help me?

Wicked
08-26-2005, 09:34 PM
The cam gear is retained, but the crank gear is not. When you put the harmonic balancer on it will go through the timing chain cover seal and sandwich the crank gear.

Its been a while since I've worked on a 5.0, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Disney Lincoln
08-26-2005, 09:35 PM
The harmonic balancer holds it in place.

And there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.--Kyle's mom, SouthPark.

QWKSNKE
08-26-2005, 09:37 PM
there will be a key that fits in a groove of the crankshaft and the crankshaft timing gear will have a slot that will line up and slide over it. If you have those items, then the answer to your question is the harmonic balancer will hold the timing gear on. This will go on after the timing cover is installed. The balancer has a collar that slides through the seal in the timing cover.

Make sure that your 'dots' or timing marks face each other when assembling the timing chain on the motor. Bottom sprocket mark will be at the 12 o'clock position and the cam sprocket will face the 6 o'clock position. :nice:

jwillburn119
08-27-2005, 12:18 PM
i understand timing and everything.. .we were just putting it back together, and we got to the point of puting on the timing cover... and we are like... this aint right... so thanks guys... i thought maybe the balancer was the key...i just wasnt sure