PDA

View Full Version : claybar ??

Shorty
08-28-2005, 11:08 PM
this will the first time i have used claybar on the car and have a few questions. first off where do you get the stuff. all i have found is a Mothers kit. i have everything in the kit except the claybar.

what is the best method to get the most out of it. this is what i was i thinking.

*wash the car in Dawn to get rid of all wax.

*dry off good then put in garage to cool.

*claybar

*give it a good waxing.

someone chime in here with your method. i got to get the car looking like it used to. 5 months of sitting pulls her ego down. :D

tacbear
08-29-2005, 06:27 AM
this will the first time i have used claybar on the car and have a few questions. first off where do you get the stuff. all i have found is a Mothers kit. i have everything in the kit except the claybar.

what is the best method to get the most out of it. this is what i was i thinking.

*wash the car in Dawn to get rid of all wax.

*dry off good then put in garage to cool.

*claybar

*give it a good waxing.

someone chime in here with your method. i got to get the car looking like it used to. 5 months of sitting pulls her ego down. :D

You are correct :metal:

mj_8
08-29-2005, 06:29 AM
That is exactly how I do it as well.

You will be shocked to see how much trash is in and on your paint.

EZ SPEED
08-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Yep, your method will work just fine.

I have 3 different brands of claybar, but they all work great.

I just claybared and waxed 3 outta 4 vehicles last week.

Shankin
08-29-2005, 08:56 AM
That is exactly how I do it as well.

You will be shocked to see how much trash is in and on your paint.

No joke! The clay bar will turn from yellow to black!

93Cobra#2771
08-29-2005, 09:28 AM
<----Needs to claybar daily driver

Shorty
08-29-2005, 10:46 AM
so where do you all find these. all i can find is the kits which are $15 and all i need is the claybar. i have tried advance autozone and o'reileys. :shrug:

93Cobra#2771
08-29-2005, 10:50 AM
I usually just get another kit. If you are fouling the bar up quicker than the lubricant, then I would use more lubricant.

mustang1549
08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
anyone want to do my car for me? :)

Shorty
08-29-2005, 11:08 AM
bring on up here. :D you and lee can just bring them at the same. be pretty cool for someone to drive by and have about 3 or 4 Stangs setting in the driveway. :roses:

QWKSNKE
08-29-2005, 02:37 PM
meguiars makes claybars as well. Usually can get them at Advance.

I started using the dawn/water liquid left over from washing my car for the claybar lubricant. Works very well

93Cobra#2771
08-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Hopefully you are using fresh water/dawn mixture, and not the water left over that has all kinds of dirt/pollutants already in it... :D

SphyNxXx
08-29-2005, 11:21 PM
I really like the Clay Magic claybar kit. It seemed to do better for me than the Meguiars. The only change I would recommend to your attack is the use of Dawn. The claybar should remove a lot of the old wax. Dawn can discolor your trim. If you want to make sure you do not have any old wax after claybarring, use a pre-wax polish. I like the Wolfgang Prewax Polish Enhancer, but it is not sold in stores. You have to order it from www.wolfgangcarcare.com.

SphyNxXx
08-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Oh yeah, one last tidbit. Shorty, I dont know what kind of 'wax' you are using, but most of the over-the-counter stuff such as Meguiars Gold Class and NXT are not true waxes. They are either synthetic waxes (GC) or paint sealants. Sealants have great durability, but they often don't have the depth of a true wax. If you use something like NXT, after applying it, wait 24 hours and follow up with a coat of S100 carnauba paste wax. It can be picked up from almost any Harley store.

Shorty
08-30-2005, 02:45 AM
the kit i was looking at was a Mother's. i know their stuff is usually pretty good.

Spyynxx---i usually use Macquires, actually i have never waxed the stang, only quick detailed it. (looks pretty good not have been waxed in 2 years :D ) i was thinking of using Mothers Carnuba wax this time. i wonder if this is the same as what you mentioned at the Harley shop.

SphyNxXx
08-30-2005, 09:30 AM
the kit i was looking at was a Mother's. i know their stuff is usually pretty good.

Spyynxx---i usually use Macquires, actually i have never waxed the stang, only quick detailed it. (looks pretty good not have been waxed in 2 years :D ) i was thinking of using Mothers Carnuba wax this time. i wonder if this is the same as what you mentioned at the Harley shop.

I seriously doubt it will. Most 'carnauba' wax you buy in a store doesn't have the concentration of carnauba as products like S100, P2S1, and Pinnacle Souverian. I doubt you want to buy Pinnacle Souverian paste though, because it runs about $65 for a can :jester: S100 runs around $15.

The car does look good for not being waxed in that lenght of time, but if you want it to continue looking that way, time to use a little elbow grease and shine it up. Waxing/polishing does more than just makes it shine. It puts a protective layer on the paint to save it from the elements. A good analogy I heard was, if you went fishing every day, would you go and sit there with wearing nothing but your underwear? No clothes, no hat, no sunscreen. If you did this each day, the effects of the sun would start getting to you in that your skin would become dry and wrinkled, and possibly even worse. Not applying wax/sealant to a car is the same as making it stay outside naked.

Shorty
08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
:yup: i know it has really been needing it.....so now its time. :D i am sure that the fact the car has sat in a gargage all its life has helped. i will have to find out where the closets Harley shop is. i think there is one in Trussville. is there one on the Eastside? :shrug:

SphyNxXx
08-30-2005, 01:23 PM
:yup: i know it has really been needing it.....so now its time. :D i am sure that the fact the car has sat in a gargage all its life has helped. i will have to find out where the closets Harley shop is. i think there is one in Trussville. is there one on the Eastside? :shrug:

Sitting in the garage will help. You should have seen my g/f's car before I came along. It was exposed to the elements 24/7, hadn't been waxed since they bought it in late 2001, was often sprayed off with non-filtered water and allowed to air dry, etc. The car's paint was a mess. NO beading action at all. Last week, I gave it a well needed full detail with spot claybarring, swirl remover via Porter Cable DA polilsher, WG polish and sealant. WORLD of difference now :chug:

Isn't there a Harley shop next door to Walker Dyno? I bought my S100 at one in Montgomery, so I can't help too much there.

Shorty
08-30-2005, 02:24 PM
i think it is Honda or something beside walker. thanks for your help. :nice:

TheJeanyus
08-31-2005, 02:26 PM
There is a Harley place in Trussville, but it isn't the place by the Dyno - that's Icon Power Sports or whatever it's called.

Shorty
09-01-2005, 02:24 PM
what about the matte finish at the bottom of the car. claybar it as well. :shrug:

Jeanyus, thanks for the info. i was hoping there was one closer. that is a long way to drive for some wax. :(

ujslost
09-01-2005, 04:13 PM
what exactly does a claybar do?

QWKSNKE
09-01-2005, 06:52 PM
what exactly does a claybar do?

Removes contaminants from the paint that get embedded in it from everyday weather, driving, etc. Usually do this after removing wax off and before reapplying wax to your car. Makes a difference. Car will be slick before wax and very slick after wax

93Cobra#2771
09-02-2005, 06:31 AM
If you live somewhere that has any amount of industrial fallout (someplace that has a large chimney a couple hundred feet in the air), it is AMAZING what the bar will pull out.

My daily driver truck needs it done desperately - fiberglass dust here at work gets embedded sometimes...

myillwillinc
09-02-2005, 10:46 AM
i'm near 2 cement plants/refineries. my car has a white dust on it always if i don't put it in the carport.

Shorty
09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
i live near a cow pasture. :D

Shorty
09-02-2005, 02:45 PM
what about the matte finish at the bottom of the car. claybar it as well. :shrug:

Jeanyus, thanks for the info. i was hoping there was one closer. that is a long way to drive for some wax. :(

:shrug:

Shorty
09-04-2005, 02:15 PM
white claybar......still white after doing entire car. slick as hell tho. now time for some wax.