PDA

View Full Version : Freeze plugs

96GTS
01-07-2005, 02:55 PM
I just pop them out w/ a screwdriver?? What kind of sealant do I use to put them back in? How exactly do I install them? Just push them in? Never seen them outside the block before,....??

I need to pull them out so they can hot tank the block. They need to hot tank the block to bore it out.

svopaul
01-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Take a screwdriver and hammer and hit one side...when it spins sideways just pull it out with a pair of pliers/vice grips ;).

They just tap in to reinstall....use an RTV or similar sealant around it...tap in and done. Most Machine shops don't charge much to do this if you don't want to....as an example, my machine shop charges $50 to Vat, Clean, install cam bearings and freeze plugs.

96GTS
01-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Cam bearings? What are those? :D

Thanks for the info. I will get the plugs from Ford before I take it to the shop then. Thanks :)

svopaul
01-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Why bother from Ford....do yourself a favor and get brass plugs...if they are the same as the SOHC 4.6 you need 1 1/2" for the side of the block(just did a set;)). You can get them from NAPA or anywhere for less than Ford ;)

96GTS
01-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I remember your lil' escapade about not being able to find them thats why I asked here :)

If price was the same, is brass actually better than alum (or whatever it is that Ford uses)?? I can use my employee discount at Ford so they would be pretty cheap I'd imagine

So which material is better. This motor is not getting a budget rebuild so I dont want to have one fail on me for a $5 savings....

TheJeanyus
01-08-2005, 07:35 AM
just did a set
:wave:

svopaul
01-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Yeah, the issue I had is that parts store people are generally ignorant.....the size was standard but since it wasn't listed in the "computer" they didn't have the common sense to look it up in a real BOOK.

Brass is better than steel....steel is standard used in production blocks but corrodes where Brass will not corrode like the steel will. I used steel in the one we just did because I didn't have the time to wait to ship some in since they aren't always stocked. Any performance build you will see Brass used...just a better alloy material. Your machine shop should have them in stock if they do any amount of work for guys doing performance build ups ;)

Craig K.
01-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Paul speaks from experience, I too have built many engines and never have had a problem with brass freeze plugs. The only time I have ever used steel is if I could not find brass ones.

Also from what I was taught, the brass will expand and contract much faster than steel, this helps prevents leaks from forming, along with the corrosion issue that Paul spoke of.