PDA

View Full Version : big brakes/ Boyds

Shorty
09-06-2005, 02:16 PM
do not work together. i read a post on Stangnet the other night where a guy could not get his Smoothie II's to clear his 13 brakes, so when i made some calls i found out that with the way Boyd machines their wheels the Baer kit will not fit. i guess i am going to look at SSBC. they have a slightly larger rotor that should work well with them. basic kit as the Baer except single piston and 11" rotors. but it is about $450 cheaper. so i guess with all this said i may have some extra money. the 11" rotor should still look good behind the wheels since it is slightly smaller. i am glad i noticed the opening looked a little small for 13's and did some research. this could have been a real bad situation.

anybody know anything about SSBC? i know i see their stuff on alot of road course cars in the magazines.

Craig K.
09-06-2005, 03:12 PM
you do know that the stock fronts are a single piston and a 11" rotor, right? Inotherwords, thats what you already have.

Now if your talking about the rears, then the rotor size would be the same as the fronts. I have an SSBC oldie T-Bird kit on my car (the '85). It has a single piston and a 10" rotor, and worked fine on my car for many years.

QWKSNKE
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
you do know that the stock fronts are a single piston and a 11" rotor, right? Inotherwords, thats what you already have.

:werd:

Shorty
09-07-2005, 03:15 AM

Now if your talking about the rears, then the rotor size would be the same as the fronts. I have an SSBC oldie T-Bird kit on my car (the '85). It has a single piston and a 10" rotor, and worked fine on my car for many years.

yeah i was in a hurry. the single piston is upgraded to to 73mm. i cant remember right off hand what the stock size is, but i think i saw somewhere that you could get calipers off a different car that has that same piston. after reviewing it further that kit is not a good deal. the calipers are cast and look just like my factory to the only real thing you gain is SS brake lines, nice rotors and pads which i can get serperate. this is bullshit. i guess i need to think about it when i have had a little more sleep.

96GTS
09-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Maybe you can get some 99+ GT/V6 brakes. 11" rotor w/ 2 piston calipers...and you can get them for cheap!

Shorty
09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
wouldnt that require a spindle change and a 5 lug pattern.

TheJeanyus
09-07-2005, 06:03 PM
:yup:

96GTS
09-07-2005, 09:02 PM
oh...i assumed you had a 5 lug swap...nevermind :jester:

Shorty
09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
no 5-lug here. money doesnt allow the finer things.

TheJeanyus
09-08-2005, 01:13 PM
You should've just gotten the teddy bear wheels. No one would be able to see those ugly rear drums. :jester:

QWKSNKE
09-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Maybe you can get some 99+ GT/V6 brakes. 11" rotor w/ 2 piston calipers...and you can get them for cheap!

I wonder if you can just use the 2 piston caliper since the rotor size is the same between the 4-lug and 5-lug cars

Craig K.
09-08-2005, 02:58 PM
I wonder if you can just use the 2 piston caliper since the rotor size is the same between the 4-lug and 5-lug cars

No, unless you modify the current spindle. You have to cut-off the upper ear and mount in an adaptor bracket, at the minimum.

The stock brake caliper has a 65 mm front piston.

You can go to autozone and for about $12.50 buy the 73mm piston caliper, tell them you have an '86 SVO. I did this on the '85 for a while. I did have to upgrade to an '86 SVO master cylinder also from autozone for about $30.00 rebuilt. On the stock calipers you should also cut out the rubber guide sleeves and replace them with SS one. If you want to do this, let me know, I have several sets, and would sell you one set cheap.

As for appearance, after you do a rear disk swap, just paint the stuff black (with high temp paint) and it will look decent.

Shorty
09-09-2005, 02:52 AM
No, unless you modify the current spindle. You have to cut-off the upper ear and mount in an adaptor bracket, at the minimum.

The stock brake caliper has a 65 mm front piston.

You can go to autozone and for about $12.50 buy the 73mm piston caliper, tell them you have an '86 SVO. I did this on the '85 for a while. I did have to upgrade to an '86 SVO master cylinder also from autozone for about $30.00 rebuilt. On the stock calipers you should also cut out the rubber guide sleeves and replace them with SS one. If you want to do this, let me know, I have several sets, and would sell you one set cheap.

As for appearance, after you do a rear disk swap, just paint the stuff black (with high temp paint) and it will look decent.

the 73mm caliper is one route i have been looking at, just wasnt sure of the year and make i had to request. i also didnt know they were that cheap. i guess this is the route i will go. use the above listed with Baer rotors and some Hawk pads, i should still see a big difference in stopping ability. i will be calling to check on these in the morning. i am running out of time. Matt...if you see this and get a chance price these parts for me.

craig thanks for the info. info on this swap is very limited, so maybe if i go with this we can a nice FAQ wrote up on it. i will PM you about the guides as soon as i find out about the other parts.