PDA

View Full Version : Cold start issue

GTkitten
09-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Question for all you mustang gurus...

I have an '01 GT all stock except prochamber and mufflers. The exhaust made my check engine light come on right after I got it in May, but it has been running fine until now.

Every morning all week the car has been difficult to start. I start it and it just dies...then I start it and almost floor the gas and rpms are down at 1 and its just rumbling trying to start...next, it finally starts and runs fine all day! It sits the same amount of time while I'm at work that it does at night time, yet it usually starts right up every afternoon. Occasionally I've had to start it twice during the day, but this has been very rare.

I wondered if this could be related to the oxygen sensors...need eliminators maybe? But I was advised that a cold start problem shouldn't be related to the exhaust.

Any ideas? Thanks.

joker
09-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Sounds like your IAC is sticking first thing in the mornings.

93Cobra#2771
09-15-2005, 11:37 AM
I agree - O2's aren't used at startup, plus the rear O2's are simply there to make sure the cats are functioning properly.

I vacuum leak is possible, as well as a dirty/sticky IAC...

GTkitten
09-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Okay thanks yall...really appreciate your help. I researched the IAC and that sounds like the culprit. I'll try to get it cleaned and see if that fixes my problem.

Wall96cobra
09-15-2005, 06:32 PM
My sister-in-law's 99GT was doing the same thing and I removed the IAC valve and cleaned it reall good with carb cleaner and q-tips, it runs fine now.

GTkitten
09-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Earlier today I had a Ford tech tell me that it could possibly be a problem with the fuel pressure??

Wall96cobra
09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Earlier today I had a Ford tech tell me that it could possibly be a problem with the fuel pressure??

I wouldn't think so, it doesn't cost anything to clean the IAC so I would do that first and see it that fixes it.