PDA

View Full Version : UCA's opinions?

One_live95
09-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Well this is gonna sound cheap, I really didn't wanna spend 100$ on some upper control arms so i took an extra set i had and cnc'd some plates to fit the back side and welded them out, they are tough as nails now, i also have a friend that bought me a set of urethane bushings for them, for making him a set of the plates.......

My question is, now that i think about it all my other suspension is aftermarket, springs, new tokico shocks struts, c/c plates, lca's, everything.......... Will these boxed in stockers be adequate, i know they are better than they were but will they add to the ridigity, traction, and surefootedness of the car as am aftermarket set would....

Opinions on this are welcome, but i kinda expect to hear "quit being cheap and buy some real stuff" lol

jason

ps.... gonna post pics in a minute...

One_live95
09-26-2005, 12:06 AM
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/6263/scan....._035.jpg

these picks are before i ground them down, and sanded them, they are drying from the paint i put on them this afternoon....... I will take pics after i install the new bushings... i used .188" plate to box them in, slightly thicker than the factory stamped steel.....

do they look like they'll work..

jason

Shorty
09-26-2005, 04:06 AM
as big of a pain in the ass as the upper arms are to install, especially if you are doing it by yourself, there is no way that i would put it back with spending the little extra for new ones. maybe i did something wrong, but uppers suck ass. :notnice:

93Cobra#2771
09-26-2005, 08:09 AM
I would avoid the urethane bushings in the uppers - use stock bushings to avoid even MORE bind than the stock rear suspension already gives us...

slvrbullit
09-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Jason, there are three other cars that have run aftermarket lowers and stock upper that I know of and all of them have had the torque boxes tear. In my case I have either had all stock or all aftermarket and have had no problems in the torque box area. One of the cars mentioned above was a bone stock 96 GT that made 210 rwhp and 270ish rwtq. Go ahead and save the headache of having to pull them out later down the road.

One_live95
09-26-2005, 10:25 AM
so you think i shouldn't install them tommy, i was gonna get the maximum motorsports ones later...... I like the Lowers i have now... they aren't factory though...

I don't want to have to weld up the boxes etc. like you had to do.... I won't be putting it throught that much abuse though i don't think....lol

jason

slvrbullit
09-26-2005, 10:41 AM
I think you should be ok to run the stock uppers temporarily until you get some matching uppers to your lowers. Just dont do any harsh launches with slicks.

One_live95
09-26-2005, 12:02 PM
honestly i doubt i ever bolt up slicks to my car........ I haven't gotten that serious with it yet, and i will probably finish the 90 for a track car.....it has been pretty much gutted but i have been trying to get it back together..

jason

Shorty
09-26-2005, 06:12 PM
its worth $100 not to pull the damn things off twice. :nono:

96GTS
09-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Whats all the fuss about?> I pull all four rear CAs off every few months to check everything out and replace/grease stuff. On jacks w/ no air tools....

Shorty
09-27-2005, 04:24 AM
apparently you have more time on your hands than i do.

One_live95
09-27-2005, 05:01 AM
lol, they aren't that bad, i pulled both sets off the junkers i had in about 10 minutes....

jason

coupe
09-27-2005, 12:12 PM
You'll be fine with stock uppers...just keep slicks off of it. :nice:

One_live95
09-27-2005, 01:41 PM
well i will change them later, but for now, i have done the work to box them in, and got the bushings, so i am gonna try em out...lol

what's there to loose.....

thanks for everyones opinions

jaosn

Shorty
09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
lol, they aren't that bad, i pulled both sets off the junkers i had in about 10 minutes....

jason

taking them off is simple. i am not saying that it is a terrifying job, just worth not doing it twice. IMO :shrug: