PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Help

Blown54
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
currently running weld in Flowmasters(2 chamber 40 seriesoriginal flows) on my '04 Mach 1 and i also removed 2 of the 4 cats. i think its about time for a change tho. plan on redoing all the pipe in 2.5 inch but thats not what im undecided about....

i wanna either run an off-road X or and off-road H pipe along with my Flowmasters. im lookin for an aggressive sound but not obnoxious. i know it will be loud but i still want some good sound.

i heard an '03 Cobra with headers,off-road x, and a Mac Catback and it sounded pretty nasty but it also had about 650HP running thru it. so IF i ever got rid of the Flows then it would be for a Mac setup but nothin else. im partial to the hollow sound.

just seein if i could get any ideas or opinions

Thanks

ChipR4cam
09-27-2005, 06:59 AM
Go with an x-pipe, h-pipes are kinda old school. An x-pipe is gonna have that high pitched smooth mid rpm sound. I have a VRS x-pipe. Matt Pool has a muffler shop x-pipe and flows on his Cobra and I know you like how his sounds.

Blown54
09-27-2005, 07:09 AM
hey Chip, yeah i guess im gonna try it out when my exhaust man gets back to work. he is out with back problems so it will be a week or two. i can always go back to an H if i dont like it. i already have the X. it came off an older system i had a few years back. its a Dr. Gas X pipe. im gonna try to go ahead and redo everything and have all new pipe. i gotta look around and see where i read about having to have some o2 extensions. i know i gotta have the MILs.

TheJeanyus
09-27-2005, 08:06 AM
I vote for a MAC ProChamber. I'm not exactly crazy about X pipes with Flowmasters. It sounds good, but not as good as a ProChamber or H pipe.

I just know Jeane is going to lynch me. :jester:

The O2 extensions are for long tube headers.

QWKSNKE
09-27-2005, 09:58 AM
x-pipe. It will be better matched for your higher rpm motor

Scothew
09-27-2005, 10:43 AM
I think you'll like the Dr. Gas. Its a great pipe and acctually a tad bit quieter than alot of o/r pipes.

Blown54
09-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Chip, where did you get your VRS pipe at. i may just buy a prefabbed one. i would like to find a used one but new will be ok for the rite price. my Dr. Gas is just the X junction so i would have to build the rest of it. and if i dont like the X i would rather build an H pipe cuz they are much easier to do.

i have to have the o2 Extensions cuz Ford moved the driver side o2 up.
sux....

QWKSNKE
09-27-2005, 02:46 PM
prefabbed mid pipes are much better than the home built ones. There is a reason for the 'x' or 'h' junction in the midpipe to be where it is at. Its not just randomly thrown in there.

In other word's trust an exhaust company over joe schmoe's exhaust shop always

Italian LX
09-27-2005, 02:47 PM
i have to have the o2 Extensions cuz Ford moved the driver side o2 up.
sux....
If you can solder, you can save yourself some money. ;)

Italian LX
09-27-2005, 02:48 PM
In other word's trust an exhaust company over joe schmoe's exhaust shop always
Hmmm, I wonder if Mr. Schmoe did my Ebay special X-pipe. :D

QWKSNKE
09-27-2005, 03:52 PM
probably

Italian LX
09-27-2005, 04:10 PM
probably
:slap:

QWKSNKE
09-27-2005, 05:05 PM
:D

ChipR4cam
09-28-2005, 08:02 AM
I got mine directly from VRS. I just looked at their website. The regular x-pipe was 160 and the stainless one was 220. Some people don't like the sound of stainless. It's kinda more of a cold, hard sound. The aluminized is more warm, if that make sense to you.

mj_8
09-28-2005, 09:18 AM
X pipes are to raspy IMO, I prefer the V-8 muscle sound. just my .02

Italian LX
09-28-2005, 11:07 AM
X pipes are to raspy IMO, I prefer the V-8 muscle sound. just my .02
Hmmm, must be the opposite for mod-motor cars. I wouldn't consider my X-pipe raspy at all, but when I had the H-pipe, it was very raspy.

Blown54
09-28-2005, 12:15 PM
yeah i have heard a few mod motors with X-pipes and some have been raspy but i have herd some that were pretty mean. i still havent made up my mind yet on an O/R H or X. i need to hear a few more first.

Wall96cobra
09-28-2005, 03:14 PM
My car wasn't raspy at all, the stainless x-pipes tend to be raspy but the aluminized aren't

TheJeanyus
09-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Chambered X pipes are raspy (Bassani), true X pipes are smoother (Dr. Gas, Magnaflow, VRS). They still don't have that "muscle car" sound of an H pipe, but more of an exotic sound.

Sendero
09-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Raspy? My Dr. Gas X-pipe with Factory Ford Mufflers sounds like an Indy car. Raspy? You need to hear Wicked's rolling Dr. Gas billboard.

Another vote for an X-pipe. I'm partial to a Dr. Gas X, it helped with my torque numbers. But I'd skip the Flowmaster and go for MAC or Borla.

TheJeanyus
09-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Raspy? My Dr. Gas X-pipe with Factory Ford Mufflers sounds like an Indy car. Raspy? You need to hear Wicked's rolling Dr. Gas billboard.

Another vote for an X-pipe. I'm partial to a Dr. Gas X, it helped with my torque numbers. But I'd skip the Flowmaster and go for MAC or Borla.
Chambered X pipes are raspy (Bassani), true X pipes are smoother (Dr. Gas, Magnaflow, VRS). They still don't have that "muscle car" sound of an H pipe, but more of an exotic sound.
:nice: The Dr. Gas sounds completely different than any other X pipe because the crossover is closer to the engine than other pipes. And again, TRUE X pipes sound really smooth, but the Bassani and BBK "chambered" X pipes sound raspy. :yup: Where most H pipes sound the same, different X pipes don't necessarily.