PDA

View Full Version : engine build

CrimsonRacing
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Maybe this is the wrong forum but I will post here........

Very soon in 2006 the '94 will recieve a new heart.......I do not plan to build a ground pounder,just want a bit more kick in the seat of the pants.

I am considering doing a 331 stroker and would like some input on choices that might be available.....Gonna get a block,have it machined,built and then install to save down time on the '94.

I'd like head,cam,intake,electronic suggestions from anyone who would like to comment.

I'd rather not purchase a long block from suppliers,rather get a good block somewhere around here and go from there.

I trust the judgement of you my friends here and really need input........

:metal:

Shorty
10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
trick flow kit with the track heat intake is only like $2300 and should go well with a 331. plus you dont have the headache of matching parts. it has everything you need for the top end.

NightHawk756
10-02-2005, 09:30 PM
trick flow kit with the track heat intake is only like $2300 and should go well with a 331. plus you dont have the headache of matching parts. it has everything you need for the top end.

:werd: That's the kit I almost bought before I got the turbo kit. ;)

QWKSNKE
10-02-2005, 09:49 PM
:werd: + 2

but that kit will require the use of a stall torque converter if you use the cam.

QWKSNKE
10-02-2005, 09:51 PM
oh yeah, for the money you might be better off buying the D.S.S. 331 shortblock over buying the kit, looking for a block, and paying for the machine work. (just food for thought)

Shorty
10-03-2005, 04:12 AM
:yup: you could probably refresh what you have and add a small poweradder without the hassle of the stroker. still be about the same cost.

Italian LX
10-03-2005, 05:28 AM
:yup: you could probably refresh what you have and add a small poweradder without the hassle of the stroker. still be about the same cost.
Read his post above.
.....Gonna get a block,have it machined,built and then install to save down time on the '94.
I'm with Richard on this one. You can easily run into a lot of down-time if you have your current set-up rebuilt. Anything can happen such as lack of funds on your part, or procrastinating speed shops.

Craig K.
10-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Richard, I would suggest as Lee had stated to buy a D.S.S. short or long block.
Doing your engine yourself (using local machine shops) can be fun because you can do the work and see it done, but in the long run it will be more money (usually), and take longer. Plus a shop such as DSS has done so many of them, that they know all the tricks so you will get a little better quality for the same amount of money.

Concerning the top end, I have heard alot of good about the AFR heads, though I am not sure what cam to run with these on a 331.

ADMIN's should this thread be moved to the Windsor section?

QWKSNKE
10-03-2005, 09:22 AM
ADMIN's should this thread be moved to the Windsor section?

:yup:

Shorty
10-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Read his post above.

I'm with Richard on this one. You can easily run into a lot of down-time if you have your current set-up rebuilt. Anything can happen such as lack of funds on your part, or procrastinating speed shops.

:doh: i missed that part. ok bad idea. :D

QWKSNKE
10-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Doing your engine yourself (using local machine shops) can be fun because you can do the work and see it done, but in the long run it will be more money (usually), and take longer. Plus a shop such as DSS has done so many of them, that they know all the tricks so you will get a little better quality for the same amount of money.

Exactly I blew my budget out of the water on my engine build this year. My rods, rings, and pistons were $995 (through Paul) and my machine shop bill was a hair over $1800. This price included, Canton girdle, Canton 7qt pan, all the bearings, polishing the crankshaft, balance and 'blueprint', cleaning up the heads, boring the block .030 over, etc..

That is really close to, if not, paying for a D.S.S. 331 shortblock

Craig K.
10-03-2005, 09:18 PM
A friend at work today said that CHP has 331's under $2k, not sure, butI would definatly look there and DSS and others, It maybe be a larger lump sum all at once, but as Lee said, over the long haul I think it will be cheaper going with a create engine.

CrimsonRacing
10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Well...after lengthy talks with my engine builder today we came to the following decision:

Forged 302.....Thumper heads,Typhoon intake(which will be purchased this weekend),E-303,Long tubes with a prochamber,3:55's,new flex plate,arp bolts,new harmonic balancer,possibly going to all MSD(still in the thinking mode on this)porting the heads and intake to match.

My engine will be the core replacement(sans brackets,alt.,a/c and misc parts) for the new motor when it is ready for install....gonna do new high performance water pump,250lph fuel pump,maybe new #24 injectors,most likely racecraft fuel rails.

Discussions on SFC's and maxim motorsports rails,uppers and lowers....and a few here and there things......If I continue to kill myself working the hours I am now,the new heart should be ready for Atlanta in April.

I just want to participate in True Street since I have been waiting for 4 years now.

Still got some minor details to work out,but we feel this package will surely give me the 300HP I am wanting.......

Finally I will have the car I dreamed about the day I took possession of the '94.

QWKSNKE
10-04-2005, 09:24 PM
not to rain on your parade. So please do not think that I am.

But I don't see a E-cam and thumper head combo putting you at 300 rwhp. I would say 240...umm maybe 250 max. Thumper heads are factory e7 heads ported and polished. They 'might' have larger valves than stock but I am not sure. For a little more money, Tommy (slvrbulit) can hook you up with some good trickflow heads. Those with a e-cam will net you 300hp through the slushbox pretty easy

Unless you just want fuel rails, keep the stock ones. They will provide plenty of fuel for whatever you want to do with the car.

Just trying to help you spend your money wisely :nice:

slvrbullit
10-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Richard, for what it is worth, I made 270rwhp on the typhoon intake, f-cam, home ported e7's. Not trying to make a sale or anything but Lee is right about the heads tho, they will limit you on power.

Here is a link to some combos and numbers from stangnet members.
click me (http://renaxgade.net/stang/combos.php)

The heads lee is refering that I have for sale are some Trick FLows. PM for a price.

Italian LX
10-04-2005, 09:49 PM
I agree with Lee and Tommy. :yup:

. . . also, the 24# injectors wouldn't be all that necessary with those heads either.

86GT
10-05-2005, 02:23 AM
The 255 pump is also over kill. I made 303hp with an E303 and Edelbrock 6037 heads. I would stay with the 24lb injectors and forget the fuel rails.

This all goes out the window if you plan to eventually go with more HP. The HP bug will bite. I can guarantee that.

CrimsonRacing
10-05-2005, 05:38 AM
The only possibility of improvements to the mentioned engine might be a blower in the very distant future......I will contact the builder and run everyones suggestions by him and get his input as well.......

I trust everyones suggestions and will investigate completely before a true final decision is made.

thank you all very much for helping me.

Tommy..........I'll pm you this evening about the heads.

coupe
10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
:think: Care to reveal the builder?

Craig K.
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Would you consider doing a stroker, or long rod motor to try and make a little more torque? This might help a little with the automatic, as far as getting out of the hole a little better, also have you considered adding in a slight stahl converter?

Also what kind of high flow water pump have you found? I have not been able to find one for our cars.

slvrbullit
10-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Would you consider doing a stroker, or long rod motor to try and make a little more torque? This might help a little with the automatic, as far as getting out of the hole a little better, also have you considered adding in a slight stahl converter?

Also what kind of high flow water pump have you found? I have not been able to find one for our cars.

Mezziere makes a electric unit for our cars. I think that Edelbrock makes a High Flow one as well.