PDA

View Full Version : 4V Rear Spark Plug Tunnels Too Narrow

mwg6275
10-04-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm wondering if anybody else has had a problem with the rear spark plug tunnels being too narrow for the socket to go down on 2001 4V heads. I tried 2 different brands of sockets and had the same problem with both. I was able to get the #4 plug though it was tight, but wasn't able to get the #8. Is there a defect with some of the head castings? I also noticed there was a lot of a light brown dried residue of some substance in #7 and #8. I'm the 3rd owner and I think the plugs were the originals as the car has less than 10K.

QWKSNKE
10-05-2005, 05:52 AM
I haven't tried removing the plugs out of ours yet. i wouldn't think it would be any different than other year model 4v mustangs though :hmm:

Sendero
10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm wondering if anybody else has had a problem with the rear spark plug tunnels being too narrow for the socket to go down on 2001 4V heads. I tried 2 different brands of sockets and had the same problem with both. I was able to get the #4 plug though it was tight, but wasn't able to get the #8. Is there a defect with some of the head castings? I also noticed there was a lot of a light brown dried residue of some substance in #7 and #8. I'm the 3rd owner and I think the plugs were the originals as the car has less than 10K.

The gaskets that go between the head cover and spark plug holes are probably swollen or misaligned. If you take a flashlight and look down the tube, you notice about halfway down there is a rubber-type donut gasket thats gray in color. Be careful messing with this gasket because if you break it off it will fall down into the cam area! When this happens the head covers have to come off and they are a pain! Just make sure your head cover and spark plug holes are not misaligned.

The brown substance, :hmm: did it look like rust?

Scothew
10-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Could the brown be dried up di-electric grease?

Wicked
10-05-2005, 05:39 PM
No problem here. I use a standard spark plug socket.

ChipR4cam
10-05-2005, 09:36 PM
I've never had a problem either. :dunno:

Craig K.
10-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Could you try a standard socket, not a plug socket (IE deep well 5/8" or 13/16" depending on size)?

Usually the plug sockets are slightly thicker wall thickness.

mwg6275
10-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all the info. The substance could be dried up di-electric grease. All of my previous experiance is with OHV engines, so I never had a place for the grease to dry up in. I could try a standard socket, but then how do I get the plug up out of the hole? Is there another tool I should get? I will also check the gasket.

Craig K.
10-06-2005, 03:17 PM
I could try a standard socket, but then how do I get the plug up out of the hole? .

I knew you where going to ask this.

You can get a good magnetic flex tool, generally the top of a plug can be picked up by a magnet.

Or take the foam insert out of the plug socket, wrap it with a few layers of duct tape and shove it up into the standard socket.