PDA

View Full Version : Under Hood Cleaning

ChipR4cam
10-06-2005, 08:58 AM
What do you guys do to get a dirty engine compartment clean and shiney?:dunno: Mine's nasty and I wanted to get it clean again. I know some people use the used car lot stuff, and after it dries a few days:D it looks awesome.

slvrbullit
10-06-2005, 09:06 AM
I generally let the car sit over night, next day I spray the entire engine bay with foaming glass cleaner, let it sit for about 10 minutes then sray it again. I then crank the car and hose it off taking caution in not getting my distributor wet. I know I have a pushrod motor but I also use the same method on my 4.6 work truck. This way is good for light grease/oil or extremely dusty. Then after it dries, I spray everything down with Engine Brite shine spray. I think it is made by GUNK or I use S&N Products Shine It spray, they are basically the same thing.

SthrnDaizey
10-06-2005, 09:15 AM
:yup: GUNK Engine Brite

All I've ever had on any of mine....:shrug:

Scothew
10-06-2005, 10:08 AM
I use Simple Green. Basically the same process Tommy posted. SPray it on, let it sit about 10min. Maybe hit the worst places with a small hand brush and then spray off GOOD. Make sure you get it all, this stuff is potent. Then crank car to let it burn off some of teh water. At the same time the engine is warming up, if its available, take a leaf blower to blow alot of the water out of there.

96GTS
10-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Make sure to use a compressor to make sure to get the water out of the spark plug wells!

Italian LX
10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Make sure to use a compressor to make sure to get the water out of the spark plug wells!
Hmm, I've never done that. :shrug:

:D

93Cobra#2771
10-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Simple Green works great. BE SURE to soak the engine compartment with water BEFORE spraying the SG - works better that way (we did some lab analysis and discovered that)...

Scothew
10-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Interesting Richard. I've lightly sprayed the engine first, but never soaked it. It does work better? Cause it works pretty damn good as is.

93Cobra#2771
10-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Basically, get the surfaces good and wet. The water enhances wetability of the surfaces, allowing the SG to get to the grease/dirt quicker and easier.

Oh, and be sure to dilute SG - about 1:4 for HD cleaning. Using it diluted actually gives BETTER results than using it straight, believe it or not.

I keep a general purpose 1:4 in my garage for cleaning duty (works great in fenderwells and on wheels), and keep a 1:10 version in the house for stubborn spots in carpet, ect.

96GTS
10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Does SG work for oil spots on the driveway?

93Cobra#2771
10-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Yes, although not as well as a 50/50 mix of bleach/water, or a 1:4 mix of muriatic acid/water (always add acid when diluting with water, don't add water to a bucket of acid).

TheJeanyus
10-10-2005, 08:47 PM
I use a degreaser that banditmwp got me from the dealership he worked at in Auburn, then go over the hoses and black trim with the same stuff I use on my interior and all the painted surfaces with Meguiars Qwik Detailer.