PDA

View Full Version : Incessant Whining!

Sendero
10-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Nope not that kind... :jester:

I've developed an electrical whine that is audible in my sound system over the past year. I'm interested in eliminating this whine and getting back to my "sub-par concert quality" system.

System Specs

Sony CDX-850MP
Stock MACH 460 Amps and Speakers
Best Buy Adapter Harness

Rockford Fosgate Punch 125a Amp
JL Audio 10" 10w1 Subs
Power Wire on Drivers Side of Car
RCA Audio and Amp Signal Wire on Passenger Side
Amp Grounded to floorpan

XM Commander
connected via RCA Cable to Aux Input

Symptoms

When the car still and the volume turned all the way down, you can hear "snow" coming through the speakers.
XM Mode is considerable quiter than CD Mode
In CD mode, the subs "hit" while the CD is spinning up or tracking to the next song.
Audio quality is in the toilet
Noticeable static in certain situations

It was suggested that I run everything to a "common" ground, but how can I ground a radio system to a amp system that can only be grounded in the rear? Explain what a filter is and how it could help my situation? (ie is it electrical or audio?)

slvrbullit
10-09-2005, 10:51 PM
There are two little capacitors on the sides of the coilpack, more than likely they are bad, they are there to prevent ignition feedback to the audio system. They are inexpensive and available at any dealership. I had this problem with the one that is on my coil, replaced it and most of it is gone but my MSD over powers it. Another area to check is the jacketing around the plug wires, they could be breaking down and letting some RF energy into the sound system.

Sendero
10-09-2005, 10:52 PM
There are two little capacitors on the sides of the coilpack, more than likely they are bad, they are there to prevent ignition feedback to the audio system. They are inexpensive and available at any dealership. I had this problem with the one that is on my coil, replaced it and most of it is gone but my MSD over powers it. Another area to check is the jacketing around the plug wires, they could be breaking down and letting some RF energy into the sound system.

:hmm: I have two coils (remember; weedeater owner here). My MSD wires are about a year old, but they could still be suspect.

slvrbullit
10-09-2005, 11:02 PM
that is why I said coil packs, mod motors have two caps, one on each coil. Looking at the coil from the front of the motor, the passenger side one will be on the right side of the bracket and the driverside coil should have it in the same place.

Sendero
10-09-2005, 11:17 PM
that is why I said coil packs, mod motors have two caps, one on each coil. Looking at the coil from the front of the motor, the passenger side one will be on the right side of the bracket and the driverside coil should have it in the same place.

I've never noticed them. (Of course, I never really looked at the ignition system closely) I may give them a shot.