PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

GTkitten
10-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Trying to decide what kinda front brakes to go with...thinking I'll buy new rotors along with pads.

I was looking on tirerack.com and read good reviews on Brembo rotors/Hawk pads combination. Just wonderin if anyone had any opinions on type??

I saw slotted vs drilled rotors...basically same price...which one is better? Or I just could get the basic plain Brembro rotor only $50 each. Slotted and Drilled at $100 each.

Also ceramic vs. composite brake pads...composite better I presume. Does anyone really recommend them?

I love it how the dealership is a total rip off. They quoted me a price of $123 at Ford for the stock rotor.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Mods wanna move this to the brake section, please do...looked over that forum...tired tonight. :\

Shorty
10-12-2005, 07:21 PM
i like my Baer replacments. they are like $250 a pair.
you can spend some extra and get a big brake kit. which is what i would do for sure if i had a late model car. :yup:

TheJeanyus
10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Depends what you really plan to do with the car. Unless you're really driving it hard, stock rotors are fine and I'd stay away from "race" type pads that have to be heated up to work properly. If you are going to drive it hard, Stillen and Baer both make nice braking components. :nice:

M1Speed
10-12-2005, 10:12 PM
:agree: i have stillen they work great for what im doing but daily drving go back with stock.

Craig K.
10-13-2005, 05:47 AM
If you can afford it, look at doing the big brake upgrade, check out some web-sites such as
www.buyfordracing.com

It might be a little more to upgrade to this, however the difference, I think, will be notable.

coupe
10-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Ceramic pads vary from manufacturers, but many are aggressive. I will say this: I have had Stillen's replacement rotor and their "metal=matrix" pads on my car for 3-years now. The braking is great, the feel is nice, and the wear is non-existent. The materials are perfectly matched as far as I'm concerned. And they are the slotted rotors. When they heat up, you can feel/hear the slots as they go past the pads. But the braking is not changed. I give them a "10."

myillwillinc
10-16-2005, 08:12 AM
if you look in some of the magazines you can get a cobra front brake kit for 300-400 bucks. thats what i have on my 97 and it is awesome. i bought a set of cross-drilled rotors and it even looks better. but the only thing is you will need 17" rims for this.

TheJeanyus
10-16-2005, 09:55 AM
if you look in some of the magazines you can get a cobra front brake kit for 300-400 bucks. thats what i have on my 97 and it is awesome. i bought a set of cross-drilled rotors and it even looks better. but the only thing is you will need 17" rims for this.
All 99+ V8 cars come OEM with 17" wheels. :yup:

94five0
10-25-2005, 11:51 AM
second stillen pads and rotors..

btw, whats up JB? :jester:

PanicPony
11-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I found the Cobra/Bullitt Complete Package at Blue Oval for a really fair price, when I get the money up that what's going on mine.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=635&openparent=1287

QWKSNKE
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I found the Cobra/Bullitt Complete Package at Blue Oval for a really fair price, when I get the money up that what's going on mine.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=635&openparent=1287

Thanks for the link. I may utilize that setup on my next project

PanicPony
11-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Glad to be of service.