PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice here.

ERStettin
10-16-2005, 03:39 PM
I want to put in an electric radiator fan, larger alternator and electric water pump. The pump can wait until this winter when I go through the engine, but I would like the electric radiator fan and alternator put in this week so I have to order it today or tomorrow.

Does anyone have a complete list of what needs to be done inorder to do this modification? I would like to get something that is vey easy to setup and very reliable. I have seen the one wire setups but don't know if that would work for the fan and the pump when the pump goes in? I have a 92 5.0 Coupe.

Please be as detailed as possible on what I need. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Ed Stettin

MaddMartigan
10-16-2005, 08:03 PM
I want to put in an electric radiator fan, larger alternator and electric water pump. The pump can wait until this winter when I go through the engine, but I would like the electric radiator fan and alternator put in this week so I have to order it today or tomorrow.

Does anyone have a complete list of what needs to be done inorder to do this modification? I would like to get something that is vey easy to setup and very reliable. I have seen the one wire setups but don't know if that would work for the fan and the pump when the pump goes in? I have a 92 5.0 Coupe.

Please be as detailed as possible on what I need. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Ed Stettin

Well, I don't have a Mustang but I have done the upgraded alternator and better fan. Right now I am running a 150A Mustang 3G alternator.

I wouldn't go with a 1 wire because the EEC doesn't get back the info on the alternator properly and there are some other issues that I don't remember off hand.

I put a Lincoln Mark VIII fan in my car a few months ago. These fans are supposed to be rated at 4300CFM and it keeps my 347 perfectly cool even with a stock radiator. For this you would need a fan controller and the fan itself plus a few other items. You would have to make custom mounts as well. The fan does have a built in shroud so you could ditch your current shroud. If you are interested in pursuing this just let me know and I can give you more details.

ERStettin
10-16-2005, 09:07 PM
I am interested and need to know EVERYTHING I need to buy. I want to buy it tomorrow and have it for our Finale race at CFR this weekend. Don't hold anything back man. I have never heard a word about the one wire stuff and the EEC. Let me know it all. Thanks.

QWKSNKE
10-16-2005, 09:09 PM
I am running a taurus fan and a dccontrol unit www.dccontrol.com

ERStettin
10-16-2005, 09:51 PM
That is exactly what I want. If you could let me know what the part numbers are on the stuff I need to get and include everything you would recommend getting, I would really appreciate it. I have alot of jitters when it comes to working with electrical stuff. I am a dumb ass in this department so I want to make sure I get EVERYTHING I need and do it right the first time. If you have time, would you please let me know what I need to buy. I am not price limited, but I do want something like what you have and I want an alternator to be able to run the fan, DCC controller and a Mezier water pump, though the pump will not be installed until this winter after the motor is gone through. Thanks a ton.

Ed

93Cobra#2771
10-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Ed - do you want the elec. water pump to have it's own control independant of the electric fan, or do you want them both to run off the same controller?

If the same controller, you need the WP60 kit (under the "fans and kits" section). This will activate both units to come on at the same time.

If you want independant control of the WP and the EFan, then you need the DK-3560.

I would suggest an electric fan from either a taurus 3.8L, or an MN-12 car (tbird/cougar). The MkVIII fan is the most powerful, but it is the most PITA to install, as the motor is big and deep.

The DCC is the ONLY way to go, IMO. I researched a ton about fan controllers, and finally got the FK35 and a mk8 fan - no cooling problems now after after problems for over 5 years and 3 different configurations.

The DCC is VERY easy to install - if you can install an MSD, you can do a DCC with your eyes closed. It takes all the guesswork out of fan control. You can even get a set of spiffy color changing LED's that tell you how hard the fan is running.

I went with a one wire alternator from powermaster (Summit racing carries them). They turn "on" when the motor hits a certain rpm. Come with the heavy gauge cable and everything to run them.

You will DEFINITELY need a 130a or so alternator to run the wp and efan. Mine is 140a.

93Cobra#2771
10-17-2005, 02:08 PM
You can also email the guy on the site (Brian Baskin) and he will verify the part numbers I suggested. He will prob. ask some specific questions with regard to which fan and which wp you are going to run...

ERStettin
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Richard,

Thanks for the information. Are you talking about this guy being on the DCC site Richard? Thanks.

93Cobra#2771
10-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Yes. You can click on the "contact" button on his DCC site, and he will answer any of your questions. Tell him I sent you. :D

His name is Brian Baskin, and he is an electrical engineer. He builds them to order, so be aware it might take up to 3 weeks to get one. They are WELL worth the wait.

fireguy50
10-18-2005, 08:46 AM
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=75

ERStettin
10-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the information everyone.