PDA

View Full Version : Datalogging and Adaptive Control

Dale McPeters
10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
For those that use lambse1 & 2 with datalogs to get a base tune with, one minor tip.
Always disable adaptive either with the ACT Min/Max or the Adaptive Control Switch. Year model will mandate which option to use as some of the earlier models like pre '95 do not have the Adaptive Control Switch.

QWKSNKE
10-20-2005, 08:42 PM
thanks for the insight. I was always under the impression that you were suppose to do this when tuning with a wideband. Not when setting your MAF curve based off of KAMRF's

Dale McPeters
10-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Lee,

I just posted this for future reference as many others do not know this either. :jester:
I use Lambse1 & 2 in cases where the MAF is an unknown as in your case.
And when very large injectors are used. One reason that I do this is that the EEC has limitations with Kamrf1 & 2 when the MAF etc. is way off. Meaning that it can only compensate within a given window. This is one of the reasons that you were having problems with EA not making adjustments to the MAF curve as you expected.

By disabling adaptive and using Lambse1 & 2 you can see what the EEC is actually commanding with Lambse1 & 2 and adjust the MAF transfer curve as required to at least get in the ballpark. By disabling adaptive the EEC will not make adjustments etc. to the commanded fuel while you are trying to get a base tune to start from.

After you get the base tune close enough to the EEC's limited window of correction "THEN" you can use the Kamrf's etc. and run it through EA.

If you go under the Scalar tab and look at the CL Min/Max Lambda you will see that the EEC only has a certain window that it can compensate in, and with your setup being so far off at the start of trying to get a base tune it was way outside of either one of these limitations.

Make sense?

QWKSNKE
10-21-2005, 09:30 AM
:nice:

Italian LX
10-25-2005, 06:51 AM
So, are the KAMRF's supposed to move even with adaptive turned off? :think:

. . . or is this method only used when tuning with a wideband? :shrug:

Dale McPeters
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
So, are the KAMRF's supposed to move even with adaptive turned off? :think:

Not normally

. . . or is this method only used when tuning with a wideband? :shrug:

Normally this method would be used with a WB.
But as I stated above in Lee's case should have tried to make the Lambse1 & 2 match the open loop fuel table by adjusting the MAF curve, before going to the dyno. Because not having a flowsheet for the univer throwed another wrinkle into the equation besides the 60's. That way you can at least get it in the ballpark. I do not use KAM's on my cars except for final fine tuning on the maf curve. Then they are only used for drivability reasons, in my case anyway. There is a whole lot of difference between tuning just for power and tuning for power and drivability.

By the way I did look at the last datalog that Lee sent me and he is still commanding a rich lambse1 & 2 value with adaptive off. If I remember correctly it was something like 10.xxxxx which is nothing like what is in the fuel table. Which tells me that the MAF curve is still off somewhere. I will look at it more closely sometime this week.

Italian LX
10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Not normally
Okay, you had me worried. Lee thought you meant that you need to have adaptive off while tuning using KAMRFs. So I turned adaptive off on my car, reset the KAMs, and datalogged on my way to work (50 miles one way). However, the KAMRFs stayed at 1.000 the entire way.

I was like... huh? :think:

Dale McPeters
10-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Okay, you had me worried. Lee thought you meant that you need to have adaptive off while tuning using KAMRFs. So I turned adaptive off on my car, reset the KAMs, and datalogged on my way to work (50 miles one way). However, the KAMRFs stayed at 1.000 the entire way.

I was like... huh? :think:

:slap: for Lee.....:D