PDA

View Full Version : Cam timing, and gen questions.... Edumacate me...

One_live95
10-23-2005, 01:09 PM
I am just wondering how much slack is too much slack on my timing chain it is pretty new....however it looks to be a little slack..... I had to pull the timing cover to get out a bolt that went down the dist. hole..... and i was noticing this before the gaskets etc. went back on.....

Also, i have a cloyes double roller, with the nine keyways.......would it be beneficial to me to advace or retard the cam....... any at all...i have an FMS b-cam.......I don't know that much about this...

guess you can say watching everyone else RACE yesterday has inspired me to finish up mine..... already got the pieces for the rear on order this morning..... should be next week sometime.......lol pitiful

jason

QWKSNKE
10-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Jason,

there will be some slack. guessing 1/8" or a little more.

Glad you are motivated to get your car done now :D

One_live95
10-23-2005, 01:37 PM
i think i have more than that..... i am gonna push slack out and take a pic, i put the breaker bar on the crank bolt and i can turn it a little(crank will actually rotate a little) before the cam catches up..... this isn't good is it.....

jason

QWKSNKE
10-23-2005, 01:42 PM
no. that is not good

One_live95
10-23-2005, 01:45 PM
time to replace it, do i need another one like i have or can i just go get a basic cloyes from the parts house.......If it would be beneficial to advance the cam any i would just get another like i have now....

jason

Craig K.
10-23-2005, 07:36 PM
I have one that I would sell to you for $20.
It is used, has about 1,000 miles (if that), these were racing miles (road racing), but the chain is still in really good shape, has three key's on the crank gear.

PM me if interested.

QWKSNKE
10-23-2005, 08:57 PM
time to replace it, do i need another one like i have or can i just go get a basic cloyes from the parts house.......If it would be beneficial to advance the cam any i would just get another like i have now....

jason

go ahead and get a good timing chain, all the ones that are less than $50 at the parts stores stretched quickly in my car over the last year or so. I think my last one was a edelbrock from Advance and has done well so far.

No, don't advance the cam, put it in straight up (well relatively speaking, technically it would be straight down :D )

One_live95
10-23-2005, 10:17 PM
i am gonna wait on Craig to reply to my pm, if it isn't a "good" one, i will just get one out of summit probably the billet FRPP one...... Kinda wanted to go cheap but it will be in my best interest i guess not to....lol

i am in the process of starting another motor for my car>>>>>.

jason

coupe
10-26-2005, 03:54 PM
If a new one goes on with a little "slack," then you might need to replace cam-bearings. Cam bearings with alot of miles and any oil starvation will wear significantly.
But a little slack is normal; really. Get the pics up.

One_live95
10-27-2005, 05:15 AM
i will have to check that out......... that had never occured to me..... I am pretty sure i have never had an oil starvation issue though..... If so, i will just have to put the work into the other motor a lot sooner than i thought

jason

One_live95
10-29-2005, 02:34 PM
went and got a new timing set... Edelbrock.. I still have slack in the chain same as before....

How critical is this.... will this motor be able to handle around 5K miles till the new motor is finished.... I don't drive the car very often. This is the main reason for asking.

I would like to be able to enjoy the car for a while, and work on the other motor, and when it is done just do a quick swap...

Opinions....

jason

QWKSNKE
10-29-2005, 07:49 PM
there will be some slack. If it is the same slack amount, then your old chain was ok

One_live95
10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
yeah and i just wasted bout 75$ seems like it is too much slack but....... I will just run it like this until the new 306 is done.......Looking on the brightside, i don't have to buy a chain for the new motor.....lol

thanks for imput..

jason

QWKSNKE
10-30-2005, 02:58 AM
yeah and i just wasted bout 75$ seems like it is too much slack but....... I will just run it like this until the new 306 is done.......Looking on the brightside, i don't have to buy a chain for the new motor.....lol

thanks for imput..

jason

:think: how much movement do you have

One_live95
10-30-2005, 10:53 AM
i think it is just a little more than what it should be....... As soon as i get the stuff done i need to drive the car, rear end work etc..... I am gonna order my pistons, possibly new rods, and a crank, debating forging the whole bottom end so that if i ever get to boost it, it will be ready...

jason