PDA

View Full Version : can a stock '99 GT bloack handle this?

475HP '03 cobra
10-25-2005, 05:31 PM
i'm thinking that it will be pushing what the engine can handle with a stock block, what do you think

intercooled 8PSI centrif. supercharger
75HP or if possible 125HP shot of NOS

i'm leaning towards it being pretty risky

QWKSNKE
10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Somebody told me that low 400's at the wheels is all you want to do in a stock shortblock

96GTS
10-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I think it will. They can handle 10-12 psi with an aftercooler, and I dont think this is much different. They both cool the intake charge which prevents detonation. Its all in the tune;) But why?

475HP '03 cobra
10-25-2005, 09:14 PM
well i dont want the continuose stress on the motor like have 12 PSI but i would like a bit more power than the 8psi but i would only use it once in a while so a shot of nos would be good for this

Wicked
10-26-2005, 07:00 PM
400-425 is what I would consider the safe daily driver power level for most 2V blocks. You could do more for a dyno queen and occasional 1/4 mile car.

tacbear
10-26-2005, 07:33 PM
400-425 is what I would consider the safe daily driver power level for most 2V blocks. You could do more for a dyno queen and occasional 1/4 mile car.

400-425 is the usual answer, but how come I see so many Cobra's (like yours) can take more HP--isn't the shortblock about the same (hyperpathetic pistons and rods)?

QWKSNKE
10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
400-425 is the usual answer, but how come I see so many Cobra's (like yours) can take more HP--isn't the shortblock about the same (hyperpathetic pistons and rods)?

no. Can't remember if the rods or the pistons are different between the 2

Wall96cobra
10-26-2005, 08:04 PM

I do believe the pistons and rods are the same but the 2v crank is cast and the 4v crank is forged.

uvbnhad
10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Kenne Belle and NX both go by a maximum of 450hp on a stock shortblock. Much more than that and you'll be picking up pieces of your motor off of the ground.

475HP '03 cobra
10-26-2005, 08:39 PM
so do you think even the blower alone would be safe cuz with it ans some simple other mods such as exhuast under drives and cold air induction i'll be pushing around 450 if not more

uvbnhad
10-26-2005, 08:56 PM
I've wondered that myself. Does "freed-up" horsepower count the same as added horsepower?? <-- if that makes sense. I'm sure someone would know the answer to that one but when I called NX and asked about what I should do with my setup they were pretty adamant about the 450 mark.

96GTS
10-26-2005, 09:23 PM
4V heads are just much more efficient.

475HP '03 cobra
10-27-2005, 12:47 PM
also i woas wondering if its 450 at the flywheel or rear wheels?

Wall96cobra
10-27-2005, 01:14 PM

Personally I would keep it around 420rwhp or less

Scothew
10-27-2005, 01:24 PM
I agree with Wall. Most reputible builders/tuners have said, 400rwhp at most on 99+ 4.6L SOHC if you want it to stay reasonably safe for a long period of time. Cobra Killer did hundreds of 99+ gt's with a vortech kit up to about 380rwhp and for a very long time (couple of years) i don't think any of those had a single problem.

The key to any power adder get a quality tune behind it. That determines the life of the motor.

475HP '03 cobra
10-27-2005, 04:50 PM
after the charge itself i will have the car 4-6 years and i surely will baby her, no beat downs....and only out to the track once a year....no local tracks, i have to run up to fun ford on special occasions.

Wicked
10-27-2005, 08:31 PM

400-425 at the wheels.

You're not gonna break a GT cast crank at less than 500++++hp.
As said before, the rods and pistons are frail in either.
The 4V is much more efficient as 96GTS said. For the same amount of work by the engine, more will get to the flywheel side. The aluminum block probably help dissipate a little more heat than the GT's iron block, therefore warding off detonation.

Its the same with going with a turbo versus a supercharger. If I was turbo I would look for 500rwhp and still consider myself as "safe" as I am now. Reason is, with a blow you use hp at the front of the crank as well as the rear. Turbo doesn't. Naturally aspirated is the same way, except then you have to spin to the moon to make the same power and RPM can be as deadly as any boost.

And on top of all of this...its kinda based on what the majority has seen. Plenty of people blow 4V's up at 500rwhp, therefore 450 is a safer bet. Plenty of people blow 2V's at 450, so 400rwhp is a safer bet.

475HP '03 cobra
10-27-2005, 08:49 PM
well how can i not get that much i am definately going with this kit but just simple other stuff is gonna put me over the "safe" limit....i will by all mean have one hell of a tune for the blower so i'm sure that will help alot saftey wise....basically what i'm getting to is would you do what i want to or would you back down becuase the engine may not support it....its not like i'm gonna beat the hell outta the car, just get on it a little here and there...prolly less than most people

TheJeanyus
10-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Lower boost with a bigger pulley, more conservative tune. Or just realize you're on borrowed time and start saving up for a short block.

tacbear
10-28-2005, 07:47 AM
well how can i not get that much i am definately going with this kit but just simple other stuff is gonna put me over the "safe" limit....i will by all mean have one hell of a tune for the blower so i'm sure that will help alot saftey wise....basically what i'm getting to is would you do what i want to or would you back down becuase the engine may not support it....its not like i'm gonna beat the hell outta the car, just get on it a little here and there...prolly less than most people

BAMA CHIPS TUNE :metal:

Wicked
10-28-2005, 06:06 PM

Well, even with a lot of boost you don't have to make a lot of power.

Look at me, I am making low power for my boost(13psi). I could make 525rwhp with the right tune and forged internals. The reason is because I'm only running 11 degrees of timing. The reason I would rather do it this way is because you have more boost down low(5psi at 3000rpm for me) and therefore more torque, which is where the mod motors lack. If you pulley to big for low boost you will lose that low end.

475HP '03 cobra
10-28-2005, 07:27 PM
what do you suggest cause thats what i',m looking for low end torque that will snap my neck i dont care if i have only like 300hp if i come off the line like a f***ing cheeta that aint ate in 3 days lol. my goal is whithen the next 4-6 years pull the wheels with her stock block

96GTS
10-28-2005, 08:34 PM
what do you suggest cause thats what i',m looking for low end torque that will snap my neck i dont care if i have only like 300hp if i come off the line like a f***ing cheeta that aint ate in 3 days lol. my goal is whithen the next 4-6 years pull the wheels with her stock block
thats all suspension. I can pull my wheels slightly w/ only 320/320 rwhp/rwtq

Wicked
10-30-2005, 07:06 AM

Like 96GTS said, with suspension, sticky drag radials, and some RPM, you will launch pretty hard. Any power adder will just make it better.

On a stock GT motor, a procharger P1 will do the trick. A small KB wuld work as well. Turbo rocks if your budget allows.