PDA

View Full Version : am i over waxing?

475HP '03 cobra
10-28-2005, 05:43 PM
i have had my garage door stuck down so my 99's been sitting outside for a while now.....it gets so damn dirty so i been washing her every week but waxing every 2 weeks instead of monthly is this bad for the car? fade the paint or is it actually better for the car?

QWKSNKE
10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
really depends on the wax.

With some waxes it is necessary to strip the old wax off before applying. Some waxes recommend multiple coats

475HP '03 cobra
10-28-2005, 07:29 PM
the back just says to apply in area wth no sun dry to haze and wipe off....its turtle wax platinum series ultra gloss paste wax, if that helps any

QWKSNKE
10-29-2005, 02:55 AM
it should say on there somewhere if multiple coats are allowed

Italian LX
10-29-2005, 07:41 AM
So, why do you wax your car every 2 weeks??

I would say that if your car seems to need waxing that often, I would use a different wax.

475HP '03 cobra
10-29-2005, 08:35 AM
its sitting outside and getting rained on about 2-4x a week becuase this is FL the wax just dont last like it would if i had her in the garage

EZ SPEED
10-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Are you Waxing or Polishing? There is a difference.
Check your bottle and see if it is actually wax or not.

Polishing adds no protection from the elements wereas wax does

QWKSNKE
10-29-2005, 09:10 AM
its sitting outside and getting rained on about 2-4x a week becuase this is FL the wax just dont last like it would if i had her in the garage

I can believe that.

Zaino Wax lasts on my car about 5-6 weeks. Recently I used that Meguiars NXT wax and after 3 weeks, roof, hood, and hatch areas on my car needed waxing again.

475HP '03 cobra
10-29-2005, 02:12 PM
no, it wax its not polish

DSkeet
10-29-2005, 04:12 PM
I use either Meguiars gold class or Zymol. I have heard good stuff about the Zaino, any links to some? I am excited, tomorrow I am going to do the Meguiars 3 step process on the '02 and my wifes 4Runner! Never tried that setup before, anxious to see if it does well...

TheJeanyus
10-29-2005, 05:54 PM
For a car that is in the elements a lot, 2 weeks is probably fine. It also depends what you're washing it with, as some washes strip away more wax than others.

AngelEyes
10-30-2005, 12:31 AM
I use either Meguiars gold class or Zymol. I have heard good stuff about the Zaino, any links to some? I am excited, tomorrow I am going to do the Meguiars 3 step process on the '02 and my wifes 4Runner! Never tried that setup before, anxious to see if it does well...
I've done that three step thing before. . . .you are gonna be tired! :chug:

GoldnGT
10-31-2005, 11:01 AM
I've done the three step thing before too... but i took it to like.. 6 or 8 steps..

Wash
Claybar
Wash
Step 1 Bottle
Wash
Step 2 Bottle
Step 3 Bottle
Wash
Step 2 Bottle
Step 3 Bottle

All done by hand and only took like.. 10 hrs.. LOL But DAYMN.. it looked good.

DSkeet
10-31-2005, 12:59 PM
I've done the three step thing before too... but i took it to like.. 6 or 8 steps..

Wash
Claybar
Wash
Step 1 Bottle
Wash
Step 2 Bottle
Step 3 Bottle
Wash
Step 2 Bottle
Step 3 Bottle

All done by hand and only took like.. 10 hrs.. LOL But DAYMN.. it looked good.

Whoa, I did the 3 step to my car Sunday, then I told my wife hers would have to wait! Her friend is paying me and dropped off her 05 Accord with me today since I was off so I just washed and did step 2 and 3(polish, then wax). Man what a difference. Now the construction workers across the street have a fine red clay mist all over the damn thing from grading the yard across the street!!! Oh well, about 30 min before she gets off work I will spray it off then dry it off...

TheJeanyus
11-08-2005, 08:12 PM
I might try the 3 step stuff on the Cobra soon. Maybe that first step paint cleaner will get the bugs, etc off my front bumper. :hmm:

SphyNxXx
11-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Im not too sure about using the Turtle Wax stuff that often. Many OTC 'waxes' are synthetic waxes with some cleaning agents mixed in with them. Each time you use an abrasive product, it takes off some of your paint. It would be fine to apply several coats of a pure wax such as S100/P2S1 or Pinnacle Souverian, or a non-abrasive sealant such as Wolfgang Paint Sealant. Something it took me a while to overcome was the terminology used by many auto detailing companies. Many of them such as Meguiars use the word 'wax' and 'polish' inappropiately. For example, Meguiars markets some products as waxes when they are really synthetic products closer to a sealant than a wax. To determine the difference, a true wax has a natural wax in it as a primary ingredient. The most common one is carnauba wax, which is used in products such as Pinnacle Souverian. I would be careful about waxing too frequently with a synthetic wax. If you want something that is slick and provides a good shine for a long period of time, you should check into a non-over-the-counter paint sealant such as Wolfgang or Zaino. They usually have good durability and dont melt in heat. As long as your paint beads up nicely when you wash it, your car should be fine. Many people detail their cars every 3-6 months instead of every month. I usually do my C5 in that same time period.

SphyNxXx
11-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I might try the 3 step stuff on the Cobra soon. Maybe that first step paint cleaner will get the bugs, etc off my front bumper. :hmm:

You need to try to get bugs off as soon as possible. If you let them set too long, they will become set into your paint and actually will eat away at a little bit of the paint. When this occurs, the only thing you can do is use an abrasive product and a tool such as a Porter Cable polisher to remove it.

TheJeanyus
11-10-2005, 10:15 AM
You need to try to get bugs off as soon as possible. If you let them set too long, they will become set into your paint and actually will eat away at a little bit of the paint. When this occurs, the only thing you can do is use an abrasive product and a tool such as a Porter Cable polisher to remove it.
I know. Too late. :(

Scothew
11-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Joseph, try using a claybar before the 3step part. Mine came out much better last time I did it.