PDA

View Full Version : Question about 4v "Street" Cams

Sendero
01-10-2005, 08:29 PM
I've been throwing around ideas for my engine rebuild. (got to start saving now!) My intentions are to build a motor then apply some type of boost. This is meant to be a "swiss-army" motor to be used for road racing and limited drag.

Forged Shortblock
Minor Valve-job and Port Work on the B-Heads
Short Runner Intake done by me

My question is on cams. I would really like to cam this motor as it really wakes up these B-motors. Crower Cams was the manufacturer that everyone has recommended to me because they use new billet blanks instead of Ford regrinds. Here are the specs that I have started with:

62821-4 Stage 2
Hot street profile. Emphasis on mid range. Spring Recommended.
Slight Lobe on idle.

238 Lobe 246
250 Valve 258

Lift @ .050
194 Lobe 200
210 Valve 216

Lift w/ 1.8 Ratio
.472 / .473

62822-4 Stage 2
Designed specifically for supercharger applications for street use.
Slight Lobe on idle.

252 Lobe 252
264 Valve 264

Lift @ .050
206 Lobe 206
222 Valve 222

Lift w/ 1.8 Ratio
.475 / .475

I would obviously like to run the supercharger cam since I will be boosting the motor, but what will this do to my street motor without boost? Will this cost me a great deal of power while I am driving the car trying to raise funds for a supercharger?

Tech feedback please! :nice:

96GTS
01-10-2005, 09:23 PM
When you say boosting the motor...do you plan on a S/C? Or is it turbo or go home for you?. If you 're gonna turbo it, dont put S/C cams in her.

slvrbullit
01-10-2005, 10:59 PM
I would PM brian bradford and get his input on what to do and who to send the heads to, definately do not send to No Limit Race Cars for work. He has ended up having to send his somewhere else to get them fixed and they havn't been on the car yet.

EZ SPEED
01-11-2005, 03:10 AM
I plan on going with Crower stage 2 (supercharged version of course) in the 03L very soon. ;)

svopaul
01-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Go with the supercharged version....I have done this in the past with pushrod engines and they still perform strongly on an NA motor but really come alive when boosted. I ran my LX for a while w/o the SC and the Tbird I currently am working on also has a Lunati S/C boosted app. camshaft which so far is pretty stout on the street as far as the butt dyno goes ;). Don't be afraid to go this route especially when you have to buy FOUR cams and you plan to go with the supercharger down the road.

Better to plan ahead than regret doing so and having to swap everything out and buy MORE cams down the road when you do go with a supercharger....form a plan for the future and buy the right parts once ;)

96GTS
01-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Thats all fine and dandy, I was just saying you dont want s/c cams in that car if you go turbo...

Sendero
01-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Well Darren, unless some miracle happens and somebody starts developing a decent kit that will work with a RR K-member, I will be "stuck" with a supercharger. HP was looking REALLY good, but they started to go downhill (according to TurboMustangs). Plus, I have heard a turbo'd car is a beast to handle on a road course because the boost is not linear.

I figured the lack of valve overlap might hurt me some in the N/A area, but I don't plan to be there long. Just as a interim until I find a good kit.

96GTS
01-11-2005, 12:46 PM
In that case, go ahead and install blower cams if its all apart anyways. Installing 4v cams later on will cost ya :)

svopaul
01-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Well Darren, unless some miracle happens and somebody starts developing a decent kit that will work with a RR K-member, I will be "stuck" with a supercharger. HP was looking REALLY good, but they started to go downhill (according to TurboMustangs). Plus, I have heard a turbo'd car is a beast to handle on a road course because the boost is not linear.

I figured the lack of valve overlap might hurt me some in the N/A area, but I don't plan to be there long. Just as a interim until I find a good kit.

Turbo cars are a different beast on a roadcourse because you have to be aware that going into boost can turn your world around...literally. But for the most part it is knowing your car....now a high powered turbo car WILL be a beast because there will be a finer line between having traction or not depending on that skinny pedal...;)

TheJeanyus
01-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Turbo cars are a different beast on a roadcourse because you have to be aware that going into boost can turn your world around...literally. But for the most part it is knowing your car....now a high powered turbo car WILL be a beast because there will be a finer line between having traction or not depending on that skinny pedal...;)
:werd: Just from a 3 minute drive in Jason's SVO I realized how much different a turboed car acts than my car. The power hits really harsh when the turbo spools up. I can imagine it taking a lot of getting used to on a road race car. A decent turboed 4.6 should make 500+ rwhp easy and would be even more of a handful.

ChipR4cam
01-11-2005, 05:49 PM
I saw a Cobra with blower cams for sale somewhere. It made 333rwhp with stock heads I think.

coupe
01-12-2005, 07:47 PM
I'd have to see the heads before I would select from the two cams you posted. The first is split duration; second is not.

Sendero
01-12-2005, 09:14 PM
I'd have to see the heads before I would select from the two cams you posted. The first is split duration; second is not.

B-Head dual port design. 259cfm Intake - 161 cfm Exhaust at .500 Lift.