PDA

View Full Version : coolant reservoir questions

One_live95
11-10-2005, 05:37 AM
Ok i got a hold of some extra 10 ga. t-304 polished stainless at work, and i made me an overflow tank, i have never liked where the stock one was anyhow.

My question is, if it is airtight will it allow fluid to be pushed in it, or even allow the fluid to be sucked back up by the radiator when needed.... I can put fittings or whatever i need to on it, just kinda need to know what to do......

Does it need a vent, i already bought a drain cock, so that i can empty it.

Wouldn't it be best to locate the fitting for the coolant hose on the bottom of the thing so that it would recirculate easier.....

just a lil help needed if anyone knows.....

thanks..... :chug:

Italian LX
11-10-2005, 06:45 AM
My question is, if it is airtight will it allow fluid to be pushed in it, or even allow the fluid to be sucked back up by the radiator when needed...
No, and no.

I can put fittings or whatever i need to on it, just kinda need to know what to do......

Does it need a vent, i already bought a drain cock, so that i can empty it.

Wouldn't it be best to locate the fitting for the coolant hose on the bottom of the thing so that it would recirculate easier.....
The one I bought (and most others I have seen) has two tubes coming straight out of the bottom. The one that goes to the radiator overflow is flush with the bottom of the container so that it can draw coolant in and out of the tank. The other tube just vents to atmosphere and runs inside the tank almost all the way to the top. This second tube allows the displaced air to escapse the tank as it fills up with coolant and also serves to purge excess fluid when it rises above the length of the tube.

coupe
11-10-2005, 07:24 AM
Right! Just try to replicate the level of the stock piece; the water level in the tank is critical to it working correctly, no matter how far away from the radiator.

One_live95
11-10-2005, 08:01 AM
well i should be able to take two pieces of tubing, one for the vent and one for the overflow, drill two holes, weld in the tubing, and then run them flush with the top of the can, use one for push and pull and the other as the vent right........

jason

coupe
11-10-2005, 08:49 AM
:yup: If it pukes coolant all over the ground; figure out why & fix it...In other words, I wouldn't make anything permanent until it works well. :)

EZ SPEED
11-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Just copy the designs that Canton has done :nice:

http://www.blueovalperformance.net/products.php?cat=126

One_live95
11-10-2005, 01:03 PM
well, that is what i am trying to avoid, I want to relocate it, and with anything that size dimensions etc., there really isn't anywhere to put it,

The one i built is only 3" thick, 8" wide, and 18" tall.... I think it should hold enough coolant.

thanks for the link KB>.......i am gonna take the tubing bender to work, and roll some of the tubing, so that is comes out like the one canton copied of the factory one.

Maybe i get this halfway down.....lol