PDA

View Full Version : Workshop area...

96GTS
01-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Since this is a tech oriented board from the get go, I think we should split up the tech forums for easier searching later on down the road. Rather than just a general tech forum, I think there should be:

-Pushrods
-Modulars
-Suspension
-Racing

Just to keep things more in line and less "cluttered"

yay? nay? :shrug:

QWKSNKE
01-11-2005, 04:56 AM
I had been thinking about that. Do you think there is enough going in it now to do that?

Italian LX
01-11-2005, 05:08 AM
Since this is a tech oriented board from the get go, I think we should split up the tech forums for easier searching later on down the road. Rather than just a general tech forum, I think there should be:

-Pushrods
-Modulars
-Suspension
-Racing

Just to keep things more in line and less "cluttered"

yay? nay? :shrug:

Sounds like a good idea... but when it comes down to it, do you ever manully search through a firum. I don't know about you, but I always go straight to the 'search' button and find a thread that way.

Besides, you'd need more forums than what you put up to include things like transmissions, cosmetic mods, etc. You would also have topics that could fit under multiple forums and people would get confused where to put them... and when looking for them, you wouldn't know where to start looking.

EZ SPEED
01-11-2005, 06:59 AM
I dont even look through the forums...I always hit "new posts"....so I never even pay attention to the "Room" I am in :shrug:

Italian LX
01-11-2005, 07:08 AM
I dont even look through the forums...I always hit "new posts"....so I never even pay attention to the "Room" I am in :shrug:
:stupid:

svopaul
01-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Racing is too broad because then you will end up breaking it down into Road, drag, autocross, etc..

Pushrod and Modular are a good idea....

But like Brian said then we end up with transmission, rear end, brakes, suspension...etc, etc....

It would organize it better but would it be too much? only the admin can know that...

96GTS
01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Say I do a general search for waterpump. It comes back w/ 57 threads. Hell yeah!!! :banana: They are all in the "tech" section. so after opening each one, ONLY TWO of them deal w/ WPs on a 4.6. Now if I searched for water pumps in only the Mod forum, I would get both posts w/o wasting all my time.

Maybe a mod, pushrod, and general tech (covers susp, drivetrain, rear end, etc)

As for racing....lets be honest. 90% of people on the boards ask more Qs about drag than RRing or AXing. But it keeps the "what should I launch at" or "what rims are the lightest" or "what should I run w/ my mods" Qs out of the actual tech sections.

Just a thought. The racing section is negotiable, but I feel the mods/pushrods need to be split IMO.

Italian LX
01-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Say I do a general search for waterpump. It comes back w/ 57 threads. Hell yeah!!! :banana: They are all in the "tech" section. so after opening each one, ONLY TWO of them deal w/ WPs on a 4.6. Now if I searched for water pumps in only the Mod forum, I would get both posts w/o wasting all my time.
:slap:

That's why you do a search for waterpump AND 4.6L :P

96GTS
01-11-2005, 11:55 AM
:slap:

That's why you do a search for waterpump AND 4.6L :P
But what if 4.6L is never used in the post. 281, mod, modular, sohc, dohc, 2V, 4V are used in place of 4.6L all the time.

Italian LX
01-11-2005, 11:58 AM
But what if 4.6L is never used in the post. 281, mod, modular, sohc, dohc, 2V, 4V are used in place of 4.6L all the time.
You're also counting on "waterpump" to be spelled correctly too... and you know how bad our spelling can be. :slap:

QWKSNKE
01-11-2005, 12:17 PM
What about a generalized section Such as:

5.0 tech

Mod Motor tech This would cover both 4.6 & 5.4. 2v/4v

:shrug:

Sendero
01-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Lee, this what I wanted to meet and talk with you about.

Shorty
01-11-2005, 12:35 PM
breaking it down between pushrod and mod sounds like a good idea.

TheJeanyus
01-11-2005, 01:57 PM
I think 5.0L, Mod Motors, Suspension, and "Other" would be a good way to divide it up. "Other" could cover stuff like transmissions, body work, interior, etc.

The Rock 326
01-11-2005, 02:22 PM

5.0 tech

sounds good to me. :chug:

Shorty
01-11-2005, 02:40 PM

5.0 tech

this seems good, although as the site grows, it may not be broken down enough. :shrug:

svopaul
01-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I agree with the above....but when it comes to drag racing being most of the topic....keep in mind that 2 years ago little was said about road racing, this is an area that is growing in interest among many here ;)

I would definitely split up mod and pushrod tech :nice:

hevymtl
01-11-2005, 03:34 PM

:werd:

QWKSNKE
01-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Ok it has a new look now. Looks cluttered to me but we will ride it out for a few days and see ow it goes

Sendero
01-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Fixed some of the clutter, hopefully. How about we add Electrical and Tuning forums too?

QWKSNKE
01-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I was trying to decide on tuning.

Sendero
01-11-2005, 07:01 PM
I was trying to decide on tuning.

I'd say :nice: , but keep it non-specific. Just cover all EEC-IV and EEC-V functions and controls. That way its useful for anyone using any type of tuning software.

99LS1
01-11-2005, 07:11 PM
no ricer section I see :slap: :jester:

QWKSNKE
01-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Sorry but the .001 % ricer population that is here doesn't need a section yet :D

Italian LX
01-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Question: Why did Richard's TOB question go in the Windsor forum? Do mod motors not use TOB to disengage the clutch? :think:

QWKSNKE
01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Question: Why did Richard's TOB question go in the Windsor forum? Do mod motors not use TOB to disengage the clutch? :think:

Because:

A) he has a windsor

B) So you wouldn't bitch because i had it in both rooms :slap:

96GTS
01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
We use a pressure plate to disengage the clutch

Italian LX
01-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Because:

A) he has a windsor

B) So you wouldn't bitch because i had it in both rooms :slap:
My point is that there are certain items that are shared between both motors and need to be put in a general catergory for people like Darren who can't use the search feature. :booty:

96GTS
01-11-2005, 11:17 PM
uhh....Waht are you trying to say?? :jester:

Sendero
01-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Or how about you have an Engine forum then make Modular and Windsor subcategories. Then when you search, you can just apply it to one forum? :shrug:

QWKSNKE
01-12-2005, 08:53 AM
My point is that there are certain items that are shared between both motors and need to be put in a general catergory for people like Darren who can't use the search feature. :booty:

true but in all reality, how many of each group are going to be posting and reading both forums?

Does the majority really want to have it where we have that many forums? I mean we could go all the way to

Pushrod
modmotor
drivetrain
suspension/brakes
Forced Induction
Nitrous
Tuning

My experience. When surfing other forums that had many rooms such as Stangnet, svtperformance, etc I only went to 1 room at each site. Both were generalized rooms for my car. (Hell, I was posting stangnet 2 years before I ever went to the southeast section)

Doesn't matter to me though. If people can benefit from it we will do it. :nice:

EZ SPEED
01-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Call them whateve you want.....I still use "new posts" and the "search" button. ;)

Italian LX
01-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Call them whateve you want.....I still use "new posts" and the "search" button. ;)
Again. . . :stupid: