PDA

View Full Version : [Topic Split]. Vortech Fuel problems

QWKSNKE
11-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Rich,I hate to see you get rid of the blower. I know how long you've wanted one. What other problems are you having? Anything I can help you on?

:werd:

The Rock 326
11-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Something that we couldn't determine today. maybe bad fuel pump, may be something else electrical. It is fine at first, then the f/p drops off at 4K. to 20psi. and goes way lean. Scott has the graphs, I'll get him to post em. I have had too many problems with my fuel pressure ever since changing the pump. I can't afford to keep trying to fix what the hell is wrong with this p.o.s. car.

96GTS
11-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Something that we couldn't determine today. maybe bad fuel pump, may be something else electrical. It is fine at first, then the f/p drops off at 4K. to 20psi. and goes way lean. Scott has the graphs, I'll get him to post em. I have had too many problems with my fuel pressure ever since changing the pump. I can't afford to keep trying to fix what the hell is wrong with this p.o.s. car.
what pump did you put in?

tacbear
11-13-2005, 06:11 PM
what pump did you put in?

It has a SVT Focus pump that was correctly installed, but there was a fuel delivery problem after the install. It looks like someone put a jack under the tank and jacked the car up bending the tank right at the fuel sump. The bend was fixed and the pump reinstalled and the car ran fine. I runs fine until you accelerate hard, then the fuel pressure goes up like it is suppose to, but at about 3500 the fuel pressure drops off to about 25 psi at 4000 rpm and the car leans out badly. We think it might be a bad fuel pump.

TheJeanyus
11-13-2005, 06:13 PM
:hmm: Not the first time we've heard of a SVT Focus fuel pump having problems. :shrug:

CrazyInBlack
11-13-2005, 06:39 PM
wish i had a 4.6 :(

hevymtl
11-13-2005, 06:48 PM
wish i had a 4.6 :(

I wish you did too. :jester:

QWKSNKE
11-13-2005, 08:55 PM
It has a SVT Focus pump that was correctly installed, but there was a fuel delivery problem after the install. It looks like someone put a jack under the tank and jacked the car up bending the tank right at the fuel sump. The bend was fixed and the pump reinstalled and the car ran fine. I runs fine until you accelerate hard, then the fuel pressure goes up like it is suppose to, but at about 3500 the fuel pressure drops off to about 25 psi at 4000 rpm and the car leans out badly. We think it might be a bad fuel pump.

Have you guys checked the fuel pressure rail sensor? That was the first thing that went out on our focus. Then the pump went out

One_live95
11-13-2005, 08:59 PM
if your car has the same tank as a 95, i have a tank that you can have...........free....

jason

mustang1549
11-13-2005, 09:02 PM
damn i wish i had the money.

tacbear
11-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Have you guys checked the fuel pressure rail sensor? That was the first thing that went out on our focus. Then the pump went out

Lee we got a code: "Fuel pressure sensor error" right after the install and Richard bought a new one. When we made the second dyno run I watched the fuel pressure drop off from 40 psi to 25 psi and the "service engine soon" light came on. Doug was allready hooked up to the car and he said it was the same code so we swapped out the old FPS for the new one, but the fuel pressure dropped off and the car went lean again.

Italian LX
11-13-2005, 09:42 PM
The fuel pump hose and clamps inside the tank need to be checked for leaks. It sound like he has fuel bleeding off when it gets to a certain pressure.

I'm assuming the fuel filter has been replaced recently, right? If not, that's the first thing he needs to do. Lee and I just experienced the same problem tonight on a new-edge Cobra with the fuel dropping off eraticly above 3500rpm. :yup:

Scothew
11-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Fuel filter was changed when the pump was installed.

Here's there graph.

coupe
11-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Your boost reference to the fuel-pressure regulator is either blowing open or something plugged there?? Causing the fuel-pressure "gain" to not take effect after a certain RPM and thus boost...I would think anyway.

tacbear
11-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Your boost reference to the fuel-pressure regulator is either blowing open or something plugged there?? Causing the fuel-pressure "gain" to not take effect after a certain RPM and thus boost...I would think anyway.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

QWKSNKE
11-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Splitting up Rich's for sale thread and moving to the apporpriate location.

Fuel system mods on Rich's car is high pressure 255 pump and 42# injectors, correct? Is there an in-line pump as well or just the focus pump?

QWKSNKE
11-14-2005, 03:48 PM

He is not going to have a boost reference item per se. Remember his car is a returnless style system so his EEC controls his fuel pressure.

The Rock 326
11-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Splitting up Rich's for sale thread and moving to the apporpriate location.

Fuel system mods on Rich's car is high pressure 255 pump and 42# injectors, correct? Is there an in-line pump as well or just the focus pump?

Just the Focus pump.

Wall96cobra
11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Have you tried putting the stock pump back in? If it's not the pump then I'm with Brian about checking the hose on the pump, it could be loose or have a split in it that's bleeding off fuel presure.

The Rock 326
11-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Have you tried putting the stock pump back in? If it's not the pump then I'm with Brian about checking the hose on the pump, it could be loose or have a split in it that's bleeding off fuel presure.

Getting the time for someone to check it out is the problem, not to mention spending yet more money to do it. :doh:

Shankin
11-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Put a return style system on it!

QWKSNKE
11-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Put a return style system on it!

While that is an easy solution, it takes time and money to do it which a lot of us are limited on. He really isn't at the power level that requires that yet either.

I think there is something simple there that is causing his problem. Just have to trace it down

Italian LX
11-26-2005, 03:25 PM
The fuel pump hose and clamps inside the tank need to be checked for leaks. It sound like he has fuel bleeding off when it gets to a certain pressure.
;)

Ponygirl
11-26-2005, 09:58 PM
:hmm: Not the first time we've heard of a SVT Focus fuel pump having problems. :shrug:
:slap: Just when I was starting to forget. You remind me :baby:

The Rock 326
11-27-2005, 03:30 PM
;)

Much thanks again Brian and Lee, for picking up my car and fixing the problem, then bringing it back home. :chug: :chug: Scheduled to go back to the dyno on Saturday.:popcorn:

tacbear
11-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I am soooo glad that Rich gets to keep his S/C------------->many,many thanks to Lee and Brian the "Mustang Doctors":hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Italian LX
11-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Much thanks again Brian and Lee, for picking up my car and fixing the problem, then bringing it back home. :chug: :chug: Scheduled to go back to the dyno on Saturday.:popcorn:
:roses:

We're just glad we could help you out and keep you from selling the supercharger after all the work you already had in it.

Here's a pic of what caused the problem:

http://myweb.cableone.net/blombardi/rock-fuel-01.jpg

One_live95
11-27-2005, 09:28 PM
that was great of you guys to do that, I think it was mentioned somewhere in the above about a hole in the line though......lol

great couple of guys..... :nice:

jason

Italian LX
11-27-2005, 09:33 PM
. . . I think it was mentioned somewhere in the above about a hole in the line though......lol
:slap:

Yeah, that was me that mentioned that.

One_live95
11-27-2005, 09:46 PM
:slap:

Yeah, that was me that mentioned that.

damn.....no need for violence.. lol ..... I was trying to bring attention to your post........

jason

Scothew
11-28-2005, 01:30 AM
WOOT! Glad its better now. Amazing how something so small can be such as PITA.