PDA

View Full Version : Low oil light w/ dipstick on F line...???

One_live95
11-25-2005, 09:12 AM
I have a low oil light on in the car i have checked the oil numerous times, and it still says full. What are some reasons this light would come on w/ plenty of oil. I used a thinner oil than normal because of winter coming up. That wouldn't cause it would it? I have the factory dummy gauge for oil pressure, but that should show whether i have any right? IT shows good oil pressure.

if anyone can help me with this, trouble shooting etc.

One more thing, i am getting backfires through the intake not bad, but they are there.....i have checked timing and fuel pressure, what else should i check, i put a new TPS on, but i don't think that could be causing it could it?

thanks

jason

slvrbullit
11-25-2005, 09:34 AM
more than likely the sender on the driverside of the oil pan is bad.

One_live95
11-25-2005, 09:43 AM
i have never noticed a sender there....i wonder if i wacked it or something while putting in the new rack and pinion........

hmm.......

any help with the backfiring thing, i had a new ect i had never installed just tried that and cleared the computer, and it still does it...

thanks

jason

slvrbullit
11-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Have you tried cleaning the MAF?

QWKSNKE
11-25-2005, 05:41 PM
the low oil is probably because the sender is bad in the oil pan like T-Lo said.

As far as backfiring, its either the MAF is messed up (dirty) or your timing is still wrong. Did you set the timing with spout out and what is it set at?

One_live95
11-26-2005, 10:37 AM
you know this is gonna sound really stupid, but i think my spout is still on the window sill in the shop, don't remember putting it back in....

I haven't cleaned the MAF, i need to do that as well...

thanks for helping with stuff i am overlooking,

T-Lo........... lmao :jester:

jason

slvrbullit
11-26-2005, 12:14 PM
oh yea if the oill level sender is unplugged, it will not turn on the light.

Mine is unplugged and no light as of yet.

One_live95
11-26-2005, 01:07 PM
i pulled the sendor, unbolted the pan etc.... But i don't see any way possible to get the oil pan off w/o pulling the motor, is it possible? I have the engine raised enough to where the top of the bell is hitting the firewall, and i still can't get the pan off. I was wanting to pull the pickup, and see if it may be clogged, and i figured while i was there i would replace the oil pump, do i have to pull the entire motor.

jason

Italian LX
11-26-2005, 03:27 PM
i pulled the sendor, unbolted the pan etc.... But i don't see any way possible to get the oil pan off w/o pulling the motor, is it possible? I have the engine raised enough to where the top of the bell is hitting the firewall, and i still can't get the pan off. I was wanting to pull the pickup, and see if it may be clogged, and i figured while i was there i would replace the oil pump, do i have to pull the entire motor.

jason
Yeah, I'm afraid you'll have to pull the motor. I have replaced an oil pan gasket with the motor in, but I don't think you could snake the oil pan out over the K-member since it would have to drop low enough to clear the main caps and the oil pick-up.

One_live95
11-26-2005, 03:36 PM
yeah its not happening, tried for around an hour straight.

Well i guess i will prolly start pulling it soon... this means i gotta hurry up and get the other one finished.....

thanks for help guys..... pump was only pushing around 20 # of pressure when i hooked up a gauge to it today.....

jason

One_live95
12-03-2005, 01:17 PM
ok guys i got the oil pump off, i am curious as to what would make it lose pressure, so i dissasembled it, and found some deep score marks inside,, take a look, could this be causing low pressure?

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/6263/aa.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/6263/ab.jpg

tell me what you think

jason

Craig K.
12-03-2005, 02:49 PM
see the small cylinder / pressure spring on the right hand side in your picture, thats what generally regulates oil pressure, it is possible that it went bad.

Also if you started to get too large of clearance in your main bearings, or rod bearings, you will loose oil pressure.

The small scoring that you can see in the oil pump may have contributed to the 20# pressure, but I would think it is a combination of wear items.

If you want I have a used oil pump, it held around 60# at hot idle when I pulled it out (this was in my road race car) if you want it you can have it.

One_live95
12-03-2005, 03:21 PM
i will look at that spring, take it apart maybe check pressure? i am just curious.

It will prolly be just as cheap to buy a new one as it would to ship, and you take time to ship the one you have...... But i do appreciate the offer.... :nice:

I wish i could quit messing with this motor, all i want it to do is run well enough for me to drive it some while i work on the other motor... I have my cank and rods, gotta buy pistons and have machine work done to block, then get started....

jason

streetstang88
12-05-2005, 07:57 AM
get a new standard volume pump ....its really cheap insurance