PDA

View Full Version : help on cylinder head info...

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 04:29 PM
ok i'm sorta new to the mod motor world, my knowledge is with pushrod engines and this camshaft in the cylinder head has got me confused.

basically i'm looking at cam upgrades and it says to use PI cylinder heads....did these come on the 2001 models or do you have to buy them after market....basically i want to know if..... these are compatible

look below for specs.

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 04:36 PM
ok i had to drop the links becuase summit doesnt know how to link....

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Brand: Competition Cams
Product Line: Competition Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts
Cam Style: Hydraulic roller follower
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,200-6,200 RPM
Intake Duration 050 inch Lift: 242
Exhaust Duration 050 inch Lift: 246
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 242 int./246 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 278
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 282
Advertised Duration: 278 int./282 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.550
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.550
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.550 int./0.550 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 113
Intake Valve Lash (in): 0.000
Exhaust Valve Lash (in): 0.000
Computer Controlled: No
Grind Number: XE278AH-13
Quantity: Sold as a pair.
Notes: For 1999 and later performance improvements heads. Can also be used in 1998 and earlier heads with retainer to guide clearance modifications and Comp Cams valve springs.

Camshafts, Hydraulic Roller Follower, Advertised Duration 278/282, Lift .550/.550, Ford, Modular V8 SOHC, Pair

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Get Xtreme performance from Comp Cams.
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy camshafts are built to take advantage of the latest cam technology, to provide maximum performance. Whether your use is off-roading, towing, or street performance, there is an Xtreme Energy cam available for you. By using an aggressive lobe profile, these cams provide better throttle response and more top-end horsepower than equivalent cams from other manufacturers, while delivering increased engine vacuum.

thats the cam specs

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 04:38 PM
heres the cylinder head specs....

Brand: Patriot Performance
Product Line: Patriot Performance Ford Stage III SOHC Cylinder Heads
Cylinder Head Style: Assembled
Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum
Cylinder Head Finish: Natural
Combustion Chamber Volume (cc): 46
CNC Machined Combustion Chamber: Yes
Intake Runner Volume (cc): 180
Exhaust Runner Volume (cc): 67
CNC Machined Intake Runner: Yes
CNC Machined Exhaust Runner: Yes
Intake Port Location: Standard
Exhaust Port Location: Standard
Intake Valves Included: Yes
Intake Valve Diameter (in): 1.840
Exhaust Valves Included: Yes
Exhaust Valve Diameter (in): 1.452
Valve Springs Included: Yes
Damper Spring Included: No
Number of Springs Per Valve: Single
Retainers Included: Yes
Retainer Material: Titanium
Locks Included: Yes
Lock Style: 10 degree
Valve Stem Seals Included: Yes
Valve Stem Seal Style: PC seal
Rocker Arm Studs Included: No
Rocker Arms Included: No
Rocker Arm Nuts Included: No
Guideplates Included: No
Accessory Bolt Holes Drilled: Yes
Valve Guides Included: Yes
Valve Guide Material: Bronze
Valve Seats Machined: Yes
Valve Seat Machine Style: 5-angle
Valve Seat Material: Steel
Steam Holes Drilled: No
Oiling Style: Through head
Machined for O-Ring: No
Heat Crossover: No
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Windsor castings. Requires Performance Improver intake and late style 13-14 bolt valve covers sold separately.

CYLINDER HEAD PAIR

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Add extra rear-wheel horsepower.
These Ford Stage III SOHC cylinder heads from Patriot Performance are designed to add 35 to 40 rear-wheel horsepower. Ideal for street and strip applications, these CNC-ported heads flow over 215 cfm and can handle blown or nitrous setups.

Features include:

* 1.84 in. intake valves
* 1.452 in. exhaust valves
* Valve springs
* Retainers
* Locks and valve seals

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
i know its alot but the damn page links wouldnt work...

QWKSNKE
11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
ok i'm sorta new to the mod motor world, my knowledge is with pushrod engines and this camshaft in the cylinder head has got me confused.

basically i'm looking at cam upgrades and it says to use PI cylinder heads....did these come on the 2001 models or do you have to buy them after market....basically i want to know if..... these are compatible

look below for specs.

yes. PI heads started in 1999

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 05:09 PM
i figured out this combo would work because the cylinder heads can support a .600" lift and the cam i'm looking at has a .550" lift....thanks for that answer Qwksnke that cleared up alot.....now i just have to worry about how much the shop is gonna charge to put this combo together....:banghead:

The Rock 326
11-28-2005, 05:17 PM
i figured out this combo would work because the cylinder heads can support a .600" lift and the cam i'm looking at has a .550" lift....thanks for that answer Qwksnke that cleared up alot.....now i just have to worry about how much the shop is gonna charge to put this combo together....:banghead:

Well I can tell you from experience that you'd better make damn sure that whoever installs the cams knows what the hell they are doing. Personally, I'd spend the money on another mod like a S/C. By the time you get the cams, springs, and pay to have the cams installed, you could pay for well over half the cost of a S/C kit. The gains for a cam install isn't going to be worth the money IMO. It really depends on what you are looking to do tho.

If you do the cams, the comp 270's are prone to PTV. The comp 262's are the safest bet, but yield the least HP.

MPH also offers VT cams, and head packages.

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
i just find a little less hp N/A alot more respectable than a little more blown...personally i feel (i have a good shop) that it will be more reliable the route i'm going...btw the shop i'm near builds 6 sec cars....

QWKSNKE
11-28-2005, 05:51 PM

the heads may handle .600 lift but your OEM pistons won't

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 06:51 PM
so whats up, aint gonna work?

or will it work with the .550 lift or am i going to have to go with a smaller cam

TheJeanyus
11-28-2005, 07:22 PM
i just find a little less hp N/A alot more respectable than a little more blown...personally i feel (i have a good shop) that it will be more reliable the route i'm going...btw the shop i'm near builds 6 sec cars....
Superchargers are not unreliable. Also, they don't really alter driveability where cams will.

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 07:24 PM
with a supercharger i'm pushing the bottom end, as for driveability if i'm getting decent gas milage thats fine...as for a rough ride, gotta love that.

TheJeanyus
11-28-2005, 07:32 PM
with a supercharger i'm pushing the bottom end, as for driveability if i'm getting decent gas milage thats fine...as for a rough ride, gotta love that.
You can supercharge it without pushing the bottom end. Take tacbear's car for instance. 375-ish rwhp IIRC on a completely safe, daily driveable tune. Plus once the bottom end is built it's only a pulley and a tune away from much more power. I'm not trying to tell you what to do with your car, I'm just trying to throw stuff out there to think about.

475HP '03 cobra
11-28-2005, 07:35 PM
what kind of price comparison am i looking at with the cam/head swap (with installation VS. supercharger (and installtion) price?

TheJeanyus
11-28-2005, 07:42 PM
You could probably find a used supercharger for less than $2000 pretty easy. I've never installed one, but several people on here have done it themselves. I'm not sure what cam installation costs, but I think the cams alone (not including springs, etc, not to mention heads like you mentioned) are about $500.

Italian LX
11-28-2005, 08:25 PM
I can tell you that a non-intercooled blower install should be cheaper (labor wise) than a head swap. :yup:

I wouldn't do a 2V head swap for less than $800 for labor and that's not including swaping the cams out.

475HP '03 cobra
11-29-2005, 01:29 PM
i dont think i would go un intercooled if i went with a blower, and i would install the blower myself but, how much would a dyno tune cost 300, 400? and even if i do install it what all will i need to do before i can run it (when i say install i basically mean put the parts on the car not re-programming or anything like that) i would trailer the car to the shop where i would get everything set up properly...when i talk about just putting parts on i mean that i wont have the ECM programmed for the 42# injectors biger mass air...ect....