PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

Craig K.
11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Thinking it is about time to change the plugs in the Cobra.

I believe they have around 20-25k on them, they are Bosch Platnium double electroeds which the former owner put in.

I am thinking of just going to a standard replacement plug.
The owners manual calls out for a AWSF-32C, which is different from the standard GT plug.

Whats you opinions between a standard copper plug vs. platnium?

From what I have heard, the copper in therory will give a little hotter and better burn, but will need to be replaced more often (which doesn't bother me).

Opinions Please.

Remeber it is a DD about 20k per year on the highway and I run 87 Octane.

QWKSNKE
11-30-2005, 08:15 PM
I would run the stock plug or equivalent (such as an autolite 764 I believe)

as far as I am concerned, the added cost for a platinum plug is un-necessary. There are no gains from running them

Wall96cobra
11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I would run the stock plug or equivalent (such as an autolite 764 I believe)

as far as I am concerned, the added cost for a platinum plug is un-necessary. There are no gains from running them

:werd: it's hard to beat the 764's, inexpensive and readily available

CrazyInBlack
11-30-2005, 08:59 PM
i always liked NGKs for my weedeater

but i HATE those double tiped things, they made my tercel miss and knock and if they wont work in a 2.3L with something like 2:1 compression and 85 horse power i sure as hell would not use them in a nice car

streetstang88
12-02-2005, 10:58 AM
:werd:
the copper will carry more current(amps)

i have seen the tips of the +2 and +4 bosch plugs break off in the motor .....:eek2:

gimmick .....oh yeah

coupe
12-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Copper has better conductivity, but the platinum is totally resillient to combustion heat and corrosion...and will still spark fine with 40k volts. Another platinum benefit: it assists combustion (a catalyst) so there are cleaner emissions...but so do catalytic convertors.

My next plug will be the ZEX (like the nitrous systems) plugs. They are a Nickel-plated copper "triple" electrode setup...durable and powerful; designed for turbo and nitrous...They're average about $5 though.

As for multiple electrodes: I like the unshrouding of the spark...it can only mean more power and accurate timing.

streetstang88
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
im sticking to the autolites and or motorcraft
might try the platinums though

TheJeanyus
12-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Is the Autolite 764 the right plug for my car as well? :shrug:

Wicked
12-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Platinums are for wear and corrosion. Copper is better for performance.

The iridium is a compromise between the two.

Our Honda Odysseys and Pilots use NGK Iridiums.

For a mustang, use copper...because they're cheap.