PDA

View Full Version : Spec Throwout Bearing

joker
12-06-2005, 07:32 PM
My friends spec throwout bearing after 3k miles of normal daily driving and about 3 or 4 trips to the track. How much hp did the monster that made this damage make you might ask? A whopping 215 to the ground.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/spec1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/spec2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/spec3.jpg

banditmwp
12-06-2005, 07:37 PM
:huh:

coupe
12-06-2005, 09:34 PM
SPEC uses the same as a Ford OE bearing. They do have issues sometimes, but it's across the whole line of clutch manufacturers...and never like that pic. The damage in that pic is far-worse than a faulty bearing can cause...Looks like it caught fire in the bellhousing. I would check into that setup and installation. :shrug:
SPEC will still replace it probably.

joker
12-06-2005, 10:32 PM
SPEC uses the same as a Ford OE bearing. They do have issues sometimes, but it's across the whole line of clutch manufacturers...and never like that pic. The damage in that pic is far-worse than a faulty bearing can cause...Looks like it caught fire in the bellhousing. I would check into that setup and installation. :shrug:
SPEC will still replace it probably.
I have never seen a ford bearing do that after only 3k miles. This bearing from ford looks like a different construction to me, then again there really isnt enough of the spec one to compare

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/M7548A.jpg

Even if spec would replace it, I dont think he wants anything to do with spec in his car after this. I will say that the spec clutches hold up well though, I think the bearings just leave something to be desired. You can look at just about any mustang site and see complaints about specs bearings (usually just about them being noisy after a couple of k miles), but I am sure that they are all due to improper installation.

QWKSNKE
12-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Coupe, did Spec start using the FORD OE bearing recently? :shrug:

Like Joker mentioned, there has been several complaints that I have seen as well about the Spec's t/o bearings being noisy.

I agree with Matt though, the setup that t/o bearing came out of needs to be looked at more closely. The t/o arm needs to be inspected for wear

NightHawk756
12-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Coupe, did Spec start using the FORD OE bearing recently? :shrug:

Like Joker mentioned, there has been several complaints that I have seen as well about the Spec's t/o bearings being noisy.

I agree. I too have heard several complaints about Spec's t/o bearings. The funny thing is, I have never heard a car or from someone that the t/o bearing in their King Cobra clutch was noisy at all. But all the Spec clutches I have heard that "supposedly" use the Ford bearing that's in a King Cobra are always noisy.

Maybe a coincidence? I don't know. :shrug:

coupe
12-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Federal Mogul makes it (I'm told by the management). We also have the composite case-bearing (commonly called the "plastic" one). It was created back when the sleeves were aluminum (before hardened bearing retainer) to slow the wear/galling on the part. Either works fine. The one in the pic has nothing to do with the clutch and even a defective bearing would not do that...Like Lee said, I'd look into the fork and/or fork pivot geometry. Something was out of kilter (ie: side-loaded).

NightHawk756
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Federal Mogul makes it (I'm told by the management). We also have the composite case-bearing (commonly called the "plastic" one). It was created back when the sleeves were aluminum (before hardened bearing retainer) to slow the wear/galling on the part. Either works fine. The one in the pic has nothing to do with the clutch and even a defective bearing would not do that...Like Lee said, I'd look into the fork and/or fork pivot geometry. Something was out of kilter (ie: side-loaded).

Yeah, but the fact still remains, aside from this case, that there are several complaints about "noisy" spec t/o bearings. I myself have heard more than a couple cars with "noisy" spec clutches. And heard even more complaints about ones that I haven't personally heard. That's gonna be way more than an installation problem, unless ALL those cases are being installed improperly. Highly unlikely. So, it apparently is a problem that needs looking at.

94five0
12-07-2005, 04:07 PM
holy moly.. what is/was that. melted plastic?

QWKSNKE
12-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, but the fact still remains, aside from this case, that there are several complaints about "noisy" spec t/o bearings. I myself have heard more than a couple cars with "noisy" spec clutches. And heard even more complaints about ones that I haven't personally heard. That's gonna be way more than an installation problem, unless ALL those cases are being installed improperly. Highly unlikely. So, it apparently is a problem that needs looking at.

Matt (I think) and I are referring to the geometry in this case only. Not the noisy reputation that the Spec bearings have

coupe
12-07-2005, 06:42 PM
:werd: I hear about them, but never have driven one in person.

NightHawk756
12-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Matt (I think) and I are referring to the geometry in this case only. Not the noisy reputation that the Spec bearings have

Yes, I realize that. Hence in my post I said "this case aside". Because Joker made the reference about the noisy t/o bearing in one of his posts. And MAtt said they were Ford t/o bearings. I stated that I have never heard a Ford clutch with a Ford t/o bearing be noisy. Then Matt said he found out that they were Fed Mog bearings........oh geez, I'm not typing all this. There's a reason why I made the post and it was a topic spoken about before.

slvrbullit
12-07-2005, 07:54 PM
I had my stock one do that in my car, got so hot that it "blued" the steel and the bearing retainer. Lots of people make simple mistake of riding with a foot resting on the clutch, you may not think that just the little bit of weight from your foot touching the pedal would cause movement but it does. I think there is more wrong with that clutch as well. UVBNHAD had his TB go out on his 04 and he does not have the high of milage on his, I even think there was a TSB from Ford about it.

I have a SPEC and in the last year have been thru 2 TB only because when I installed the 331 I put in a new one, neither made noise or looked in bad shape.

TheJeanyus
12-07-2005, 08:00 PM
And MAtt said they were Ford t/o bearings...Then Matt said he found out that they were Fed Mog bearings
Actually, he said it was the same bearing used by Ford, not that Ford makes the bearing. That's the same thing he's said in 1500 other SPEC clutch threads where people say the same thing about noisy TOBs.

:deadhrse:

coupe
12-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Again; I have never personally witnessed a noisy bearing except for a stocker with high-miles.http://forums.qwiksnake.com/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

NightHawk756
12-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Actually, he said it was the same bearing used by Ford, not that Ford makes the bearing. That's the same thing he's said in 1500 other SPEC clutch threads where people say the same thing about noisy TOBs.

:deadhrse:

Holy crap man. I can't even explain why I made a post without someone acting like I'm blaming someone for something. I don't blame Matt for anything he says. I wasn't even the first person to say anything about the noisy tob's. Joker did. Then Lee even said something. But when I mention something about it, I get flamed. Excuse the piss out of me for making a staement about something that two other people made mention about prior to me, that has "apparently been talked about extensively that I wasn't privy to.

I haven't seen or even been a part of these "1500 other Spec clutch threads" so lay off the dead horse. :rolleyes:

TheJeanyus
12-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Holy crap man. I can't even explain why I made a post without someone acting like I'm blaming someone for something. I don't blame Matt for anything he says. I wasn't even the first person to say anything about the noisy tob's. Joker did. Then Lee even said something. But when I mention something about it, I get flamed. Excuse the piss out of me for making a staement about something that two other people made mention about prior to me, that has "apparently been talked about extensively that I wasn't privy to.

I haven't seen or even been a part of these "1500 other Spec clutch threads" so lay off the dead horse. :rolleyes:
I never said anyone blamed anyone else for anything. All I did was point out that Matt never said that SPEC used a TOB made by Ford. ;)

I'm done now. :jeanyus:

NightHawk756
12-07-2005, 08:48 PM
I never said anyone blamed anyone else for anything. All I did was point out that Matt never said that SPEC used a TOB made by Ford. ;)

I'm done now. :jeanyus:

Well excuse me. I didn't type it right......Matt said it was the same one used by Ford. Is that better?? Like I said, I wasn't the first to even talk about the tob's, not even the second, but when I do, my post gets scrutenized and I get flamed because this was supposedly talked about before but I wasn't a part of it.

My concern was the fact that the Ford or I'm sorry the bearing "made" for Ford is metal. And the tob's I've seen for Spec are the plastic ones Matt talked about...err..well, let me quote what he said so I don't get flamed for mis-qouting him..."We also have the composite case-bearing (commonly called the "plastic" one)". That was the difference between the two that I had noticed and wondered how they were the same bearings with the different construction.

I'm done now too. C-Ya ;)

coupe
12-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Good grief. :eek:

Brad have you had a noisy bearing? Have you driven one noisy?
Has anyone here had the problem? Reason I ask is that I think the "multiple" complaints of noisy TOB's stem from a select few...it gets blown out of proportion like most everything on the intraweb.

I know you aren't dogging me. Neither is Joker. I am not SPEC Clutch. But I just am trying to get an idea of what the culprit is like anyone else would. Thanks for the input. :nice:

The dead horse has been sent to Elmer's Glue. :D

NightHawk756
12-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Good grief. :eek:

Brad have you had a noisy bearing? Have you driven one noisy?
Has anyone here had the problem? Reason I ask is that I think the "multiple" complaints of noisy TOB's stem from a select few...it gets blown out of proportion like most everything on the intraweb.

I know you aren't dogging me. Neither is Joker. I am not SPEC Clutch. But I just am trying to get an idea of what the culprit is like anyone else would. Thanks for the input. :nice:

The dead horse has been sent to Elmer's Glue. :D

No, I haven't driven one that was noisy. My Spec clutch didn't stay in my car much past break-in, so I didn't get the chance. But, yes I have heard other cars that were noisy. 94FiveO's was, Joker's was, and I have two other friends that both told me of their noisy Spec tob's of which one I heard myself. So yes, I have been privy to some. Like I said before, it might be something that needs tobe looked at.

I'm the bad guy because I was the THIRD person to say something about the tob's in this very thread. I'm growing tired of the attitude i get when I post. But, maybe that's the idea.

PonyChick
12-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Well mine has approx 5k miles on it and not a peep! Also my step mom has one in her 95 with more miles on it than I have on mine and it has no noise either. :shrug: Just throwing in some good experiences.

coupe
12-07-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm growing tired of the attitude i get when I post. But, maybe that's the idea.

:think: If it's me give me a PM and let me know man. Sorry if so. I just try to help where I can. BTW, what's the latest on your car? Is it still gonna have a T5 trans?

PonyChick
12-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Lots of people make simple mistake of riding with a foot resting on the clutch, you may not think that just the little bit of weight from your foot touching the pedal would cause movement but it does.

:werd: Not enough people are aware of that....

NightHawk756
12-07-2005, 09:23 PM
:think: If it's me give me a PM and let me know man. Sorry if so. I just try to help where I can. BTW, what's the latest on your car? Is it still gonna have a T5 trans?

No, definately not you.

Well, that's the decision I'm trying to make. Whether to try to put a G-Force kit in or not. I also need to beef up the rear-end and I'm looking at some strange hardened OEM replacement 31-spline axles and a truck trac-loc for the time being. But I'm afraid that the weakest point is definately that T5 and it might not make it past the first dyno run. The rear end would. I don't know, it's just gonna be hard to do both right now money-wise.

QWKSNKE
12-08-2005, 03:16 AM
Well excuse me. I didn't type it right......Matt said it was the same one used by Ford. Is that better?? Like I said, I wasn't the first to even talk about the tob's, not even the second, but when I do, my post gets scrutenized and I get flamed because this was supposedly talked about before but I wasn't a part of it.

My concern was the fact that the Ford or I'm sorry the bearing "made" for Ford is metal. And the tob's I've seen for Spec are the plastic ones Matt talked about...err..well, let me quote what he said so I don't get flamed for mis-qouting him..."We also have the composite case-bearing (commonly called the "plastic" one)". That was the difference between the two that I had noticed and wondered how they were the same bearings with the different construction.

I'm done now too. C-Ya ;)

Damn. Chill out Brad. I don't know if you have had a long day or what but the post you are responding too did not have anything in it saying you were being a bad guy or blaming anyone

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 04:59 AM
Damn. Chill out Brad. I don't know if you have had a long day or what but the post you are responding too did not have anything in it saying you were being a bad guy or blaming anyone

No, the point is Lee, that I was the third one that mentioned the noisy tob's in this very thread, but who's post gets quoted and is given the dead horse smiley?? Not Joker, and not you. Me. ;)

And no. He wasn't saying that I blamed anyone. Sorry. He was saying that I mis-quoted him. Excuse me that I haven't seen the last "1500 threads about SPEC". Heck, I have more in my life than sitting here and reading every thread about every thing. My fault.

Italian LX
12-08-2005, 05:20 AM
No, the point is Lee, that I was the third one that mentioned the noisy tob's in this very thread, but who's post gets quoted and is given the dead horse smiley?? Not Joker, and not you. Me. ;)
Yeah Brad, you need to settle down a bit. Lately you have been taking a lot of stuff way too personally and reading into a lot of peoples posts.

Keep in mind that when someone quotes you and makes a reply, don't automatically assume that their entire response is directed towards you. I can't speak for Joseph, but I took the "dead horse" smiley as applying to the whole thread, not just you.

Italian LX
12-08-2005, 05:25 AM
. . . But I'm afraid that the weakest point is definately that T5 and it might not make it past the first dyno run. .
Dyno pulls are not hard on transmissions and you're stock T-5 should be fine as long as you don't beat on it.

You're right about the T-5 being the weakest link, but don't assume that it's going to crumple up the minute it sees 500+ ft-lbs of torque. As long as you don't power shift and don't do any clutch drops, you should be fine for a while.

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 05:28 AM
But, I never quote someone unless what I'm about to post is going to be directed to them and what was said. Why even quote me if your not directing it to me?? If that was the case, and he was wanting to direct his response to the whole thread, then why didn't he just make a post and not quote anyone?

You know what? I'm done. It's not worth it.

Italian LX
12-08-2005, 05:34 AM
But, I never quote someone unless what I'm about to post is going to be directed to them and what was said. Why even quote me if your not directing it to me??
:doh:
Please read my post again!

Keep in mind that when someone quotes you and makes a reply, don't automatically assume that their entire response is directed towards you.

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 05:34 AM
Dyno pulls are not hard on transmissions and you're stock T-5 should be fine as long as you don't beat on it.

You're right about the T-5 being the weakest link, but don't assume that it's going to crumple up the minute it sees 500+ ft-lbs of torque. As long as you don't power shift and don't do any clutch drops, you should be fine for a while.

Well, that was my thinking from the beginning. To use the stock t5 for awhile and even the stock rear until I could get everything beefed up. I.E.- no power shifting or hard launches and definately no slicks. But as my luck normally runs, if it's gonna croak out, it will on me. Plus, I do have a slight whine in my stocker and not sure if it's about to give up the goose on it's on already or not. :shrug:

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 05:42 AM
:doh:
Please read my post again!

I understand what you said. What I'm trying to say is, I'm not going to direct anything to anyone else in a post that I quoted a certain person. I can wait and make a seperate post for that. It was just that, it wasn't that big of a deal. I said something about the noisy tob's that had already been talked about. If you'll look back, all I started talking about in this thread was that after quoting someone else that mentioned it. Then Lee said that that wasn't what him and Matt were referring too. I knew that. I wasn't even responding to this specific case and I was merely trying to explain to Lee why I was posting that, which got tiring and I just quit and then in comes Joseph.

Brian, I'm done man. I promise.

The Rock 326
12-08-2005, 06:24 AM
Didn't sift through the whole thread, but my t/o bearing is quite noisy as well. I was asking Scott about that a few weeks ago. The car has about 3K on it with the Spec clutch.:shrug:

Sendero
12-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Both of my "King Cobra" clutches squeak like a hookers mattress on and off. Just for reference, but you know my car is possessed.

TheJeanyus
12-08-2005, 09:19 AM
I can't speak for Joseph, but I took the "dead horse" smiley as applying to the whole thread, not just you.
:werd: :nice:

1Quik85GT
12-08-2005, 09:35 AM
No, definately not you.

Well, that's the decision I'm trying to make. Whether to try to put a G-Force kit in or not. I also need to beef up the rear-end and I'm looking at some strange hardened OEM replacement 31-spline axles and a truck trac-loc for the time being. But I'm afraid that the weakest point is definately that T5 and it might not make it past the first dyno run. The rear end would. I don't know, it's just gonna be hard to do both right now money-wise.

G-Force it, Its a great tranny.

QWKSNKE
12-08-2005, 10:08 AM

No need in upgrading to 31 spline until they actually break. 28 spline setups will take plenty of abuse in the pre-99 8.8 rear cars.

I am also wanting to upgrade to the ge-force. If I would have had the money, I would have done it last weekend when Brian and I rebuilt my t-5.

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 11:54 AM
No need in upgrading to 31 spline until they actually break. 28 spline setups will take plenty of abuse in the pre-99 8.8 rear cars. Well, I definately don't ever plan to run the car on slicks. Only DR's, but others are hooking and breaking with DR's. Although, that was '99-up cars.

I am also wanting to upgrade to the ge-force. If I would have had the money, I would have done it last weekend when Brian and I rebuilt my t-5.

What are the kits running price-wise? I thought I remembered them being close to a grand but not sure.

joker
12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
What are the kits running price-wise? I thought I remembered them being close to a grand but not sure.

$1095

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
$1095

Man, that's what I thought. Sheesh.

joker
12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Man, that's what I thought. Sheesh.
That price is also with using your stock mainshaft, and overdrive gear. If you want the upgraded mainshaft it is either an extra $335 for the nickel steel, or $495 for the hardened alloy. So you might as all say $1500 before putting it together and installation.

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 12:34 PM
That price is also with using your stock mainshaft, and overdrive gear. If you want the upgraded mainshaft it is either an extra $335 for the nickel steel, or $495 for the hardened alloy. So you might as all say $1500 before putting it together and installation.

:hmm: Saving for a tko isn't sounding near as bad now. :rolleyes:

joker
12-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Nope it isnt is it. I have heard though that the newer tko's have a bad problem with being really notchy. That and they are still only rated to 600 torque. I will most likely go with a rebuilt 3550 if I do go with a manual tranny.

joker
12-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Now that I think about it, isnt a gforce trany the same kind that shankin blew the crap out of after only about 10 miles of city driving, and they wouldnt do crap to help him out with it?

coupe
12-08-2005, 01:21 PM
From a clutch/driveline industry standpoint, I think I would go for the TKO 600. That's a big-seller and there's some huge power #'s out of them. THey can be modified too for almost indestructable power.

As for breaking them or a G-Force: I could install one wrong or leave something loose and a stock 5.0L would kill it in a day. I would replace all components down there to make sure nothing's binding up or worn-out enough to cause play or offset installs.

QWKSNKE
12-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Nope it isnt is it. I have heard though that the newer tko's have a bad problem with being really notchy. That and they are still only rated to 600 torque. I will most likely go with a rebuilt 3550 if I do go with a manual tranny.

not only that, there seems to be several tko 500 and 600's that are just flat out blowing apart.

and yes it was a g-force that Shankin destroyed

joker
12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
not only that, there seems to be several tko 500 and 600's that are just flat out blowing apart.

and yes it was a g-force that Shankin destroyed
Yea, I dont remember what all I read as it was a while back, but I had basically decided against the tko 500 and 600. I think they had some kind of problem going into third after a while as well. Not the same I missed third problem that crappy drivers have with a t5, but the tranny actually would no longer go into gear, at all.

joker
12-08-2005, 01:36 PM
As for breaking them or a G-Force: I could install one wrong or leave something loose and a stock 5.0L would kill it in a day. I would replace all components down there to make sure nothing's binding up or worn-out enough to cause play or offset installs.
That is true, but that doesnt mean his was installed wrong. Of coarse that is the reason gfroce gave. It is really easy for a manufacturer to claim bad installation instead of standing behind the product.

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Yep, the problems with the new TKO's is disturbing. Me and Brian had already discussed that to a point by PM's. It's a hard decision. Well, not really when you don't have the duckies to drop down on one at the moment anyway.

M1Speed
12-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Brad i would replace the trans so you can dyno it. Then the rearend before track use. It will cost you more if something blows apart, dont wait till it breaks. This is from replacing all the bearings and about two hours worth of cleaning all the shavings and pieces of metal out of my rearend.

P.S. Stock tob 39,000 no problem:jester:

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Brad i would replace the trans so you can dyno it. Then the rearend before track use. It will cost you more if something blows apart, dont wait till it breaks. This is from replacing all the bearings and about two hours worth of cleaning all the shavings and pieces of metal out of my rearend.

P.S. Stock tob 39,000 no problem:jester:

Well, replacing the trans isn't as easy as it sounds when parts alone for a g-force are $1500 and then paying labor on top of that.

I don't necessarily think the tranny will let loose on the dyno. But, I'd be cringing the whole time!! :jester:

Hey Christian, would you like to donate to the "Brad needs a g-force tranny" fund?? :jester:

QWKSNKE
12-08-2005, 05:11 PM

I don't think there is a way to blow a manual tranny apart on the dyno. Like Brian mentioned earlier. Blowing them comes from speed shifting or high launches (9 times out of 10 it is speed shifting 3rd that kills them) not cruising down the road or on the rollers.

As far as the rear end, your right the con side of waiting to upgrade the rear is cleaning the particles out like in your case. Bearings would be replaced regardless during in upgrade (or at least I hope). The reason I said to wait is because we are less likely to break axles then the new edge cars for some reason. Look at my car for instance, I have well OVER 200 passes on my stock rearend with probably 75-100 being done with 5k rpm clutch drops with a power adder. Slvrbulit probably had more than me before his axle finally snapped. Since Brad is not planning any major strip duty his OEM 28 spline setup will do fine plus save him a little under $1k in un-necessary mods (carrier, bearings, axles)

:nice:

Wall96cobra
12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't think there is a way to blow a manual tranny apart on the dyno. Like Brian mentioned earlier. Blowing them comes from speed shifting or high launches (9 times out of 10 it is speed shifting 3rd that kills them) not cruising down the road or on the rollers.

As far as the rear end, your right the con side of waiting to upgrade the rear is cleaning the particles out like in your case. Bearings would be replaced regardless during in upgrade (or at least I hope). The reason I said to wait is because we are less likely to break axles then the new edge cars for some reason. Look at my car for instance, I have well OVER 200 passes on my stock rearend with probably 75-100 being done with 5k rpm clutch drops with a power adder. Slvrbulit probably had more than me before his axle finally snapped. Since Brad is not planning any major strip duty his OEM 28 spline setup will do fine plus save him a little under $1k in un-necessary mods (carrier, bearings, axles)

:nice:

:agree:

joker
12-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey Christian, would you like to donate to the "Brad needs a g-force tranny" fund?? :jester:

I plan on giving at the office, my court date is the 16th :jester:

QWKSNKE
12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I plan on giving at the office, my court date is the 16th :jester:

:lol:

Italian LX
12-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Maybe it doesn't sound bad, but make sure you take into account the other things you will have to buy to make the TKO work; things like the bell housing, clutch fork, and driveshaft. Not to mention how much heavier a TKO is compared to a T-5.

Italian LX
12-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Now that I think about it, isnt a gforce trany the same kind that shankin blew the crap out of after only about 10 miles of city driving, and they wouldnt do crap to help him out with it?
Yeah, but look how many people are using them and very pleased with them. A perfect example is Stephen.... and he is far from easy on his trannies. :yup:

I would be less likely to be concerened about a 10-mile tranny grenading on someone. The only thing that concerns me with Jeff's experience is the lack of customer support.

NightHawk756
12-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Maybe it doesn't sound bad, but make sure you take into account the other things you will have to buy to make the TKO work; things like the bell housing, clutch fork, and driveshaft. Not to mention how much heavier a TKO is compared to a T-5.

Yeah, I was really joking. I added it up a few months ago and it was nearing 3k for everything. That sucks! But, it wouldn't be worth it to me to pay that much for something that people aren't having good luck with anyway.

QWKSNKE
12-09-2005, 04:55 AM
I would be less likely to be concerened about a 10-mile tranny grenading on someone. The only thing that concerns me with Jeff's experience is the lack of customer support.

:werd:

Shankin
12-09-2005, 06:05 AM
That looks like a improper install to me. Maybe the bearing was installed on the fork wrong or the tension on the t out bearing was to much for it. I have installed many of the spec clutches and have one in both of my cars now with no problems. Trust me when i tell you you cant abuse one worse than me with 800 ft lbs and launching off the limiter with no failures. This was an obvious install problem.

Craig K.
12-15-2005, 09:06 AM
My stock TOB in the Cobra was bad at 60k miles, I changed it out with one that Matt got me (all steel) and have had no problems at all with it (app. 20k miles).

The Rock 326
12-15-2005, 09:52 AM
My stock TOB in the Cobra was bad at 60k miles, I changed it out with one that Matt got me (all steel) and have had no problems at all with it (app. 20k miles).

I can't believe you've put 20K on the Cobra already!:confused:

Craig K.
12-16-2005, 06:05 AM
I can't believe you've put 20K on the Cobra already!:confused:

Yeah it adds up real fast when you drive it everyday at 70-100 miles.

Plus I have made one trip up North, and 3 trips to S.C. with it for work.

Still runs good though and averages 25 MPG, unless I drive it hard.