PDA

View Full Version : Ticking sound on my '02 GT???

DSkeet
12-12-2005, 11:36 AM
I have noticed lately a steady ticking type of sound when just cruising along or changing up through the gears. At first it sounded like it was coming from my vents but I turned the heat off and it stayed there. Kind of sounds like it's coming from the direction of my dash(I know it sounds crazy). Any ideas?
Thanks

David

Scothew
12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Does the ticking increase in synch with the rpm increase?

DSkeet
12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Does the ticking increase in synch with the rpm increase?

Yes it does, at first I thought maybe it was a valve problem but when under the hood I don't really hear it...

Scothew
12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Check your spark plugs and make sure they are tightened down good.

Thats the same symptom my 00 GT had before it pop'd one out of the head. I took it by 2-3 shops and they thought it was an exhaust leak as you couldnt hear it under the hood well. it was just a constant tick sound. You could hear it more for some reason if you were sorta listening behind the front tire on the side that ended up popping out.

I'm not trying to make ya panic or anything, but please check the plugs to make sure they are trq'd properly. I'd hate to see you have to go through the same crap I did.

joker
12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Check your spark plugs and make sure they are tightened down good.

Thats the same symptom my 00 GT had before it pop'd one out of the head. I took it by 2-3 shops and they thought it was an exhaust leak as you couldnt hear it under the hood well. it was just a constant tick sound. You could hear it more for some reason if you were sorta listening behind the front tire on the side that ended up popping out.

I'm not trying to make ya panic or anything, but please check the plugs to make sure they are trq'd properly. I'd hate to see you have to go through the same crap I did.
:werd: My 96 gt made the same sound before it blew a plug out, I just thought it was a valve noise. A day or so later the plug blew out going down the interstate. I was one of the lucky ones that didnt have any head damage though.

DSkeet
12-12-2005, 05:37 PM
guys, thanks for the advice, going to check the plugs right now!!

Scothew
01-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Anymore from this?

DSkeet
01-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Anymore from this?

I took it by to a friend of mine at a shop and he listened for it and couldn't really hear it. Driving it sounds more and more like it's coming out of my air vents? I haven't driven the car more than 100 miles since, letting it sit in the garage. In the next month or 2 when I round up the necessary parts for the Procharger install I will check it out...

uvbnhad
01-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Did you check for an exhaust leak? I know it's the most obvious but it's a start before you look at the engine.

DSkeet
01-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Did you check for an exhaust leak? I know it's the most obvious but it's a start before you look at the engine.

Yeah he owns a muffler shop. Sorry I forgot to mention that, that's what I thought it was. He got it up on the rack and got under it and checked under the hood. :shrug:

redhorse
01-04-2006, 07:38 PM
At times a water pump makes a strange noise when it is going bad.. Have you possibly checked the water pump?

Scothew
01-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Personally i'd still check the plugs to make sure they are snug.

UA2k1GT
01-05-2006, 09:43 AM
you don't have an auto do you?

DSkeet
01-06-2006, 06:20 AM
you don't have an auto do you?

5 speed all the way...